• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newest Army small arms shoots excess 12,050 ft/sec

TOPO-sniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2004
League City, TX
At least thats what I saw on the History channel show "Boneyard" this morning......

M2 50cal = 3,050 ft/sec - yup
M9 Beretta = 12,050 ft/sec - huh??
M16 = 27,050 ft/sec - WTF???

My wife just rolled her eyes when I had to correct the TV :)

Re: Newest Army small arms shoots excess 12,050 ft/sec

Darn the Wikileaks, giving away all our secrets

LOL, not quite speed of light but it IS a little faster than orbital velocity if the International Space Station at ~190 nmi altitude (see sig line) :)

I don't see how a velocity that high would even work with a conventional bullet: wouldn't extreme velocity increase the force applied to the bullet ahead of the center of gravity and make the bullet unstable?

It's warp speed bitch! I'm going to shoot said bad guy, and the guy on the other side of that mountain

I saw the title and thought, oh, "WTF, no way that's right." Sure enough, Hollywood to the rescue with its impossible ballistics again. LOL

I had a gun like that one time. A 20 mm necked down to 17 cal. 200 gr of Bullseye over a double stacked mag primer.
It went so fast the stainless steel bullet would hit the target just before I pulled the trigger.