• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newest build - 6.5x47mm Lapua

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    This is only my second precision rifle, and after cutting my teeth on a 7mmRM, I'm very happy about reducing charge weight and recoil! The 6.5x47mm Lapua seemed to look the best on paper to me.

I took part in Jerry's last group buy for the Stiller TAC30 action and added the following;

- 24 x 1/8" medium Palma 5R Bartlein. 0.160" leade
    - Manners T3
    - Jewell HVT trigger
    - Surgeon bottom metal (thanks Rob01)
    - Premier Reticles 3-15x50mm
    - Seekins LOW 34mm rings

I had Kampfeld Custom install and blast the barrel. Karl's work is spectacular. He mentioned to me when on the phone that he replaced the bushing guide on the front of my PT&G reamer because it was a wee bit too big. I sure like it when my gunsmiths are a bit OCD!

I hope to get a range report in the next couple weeks. I'm still waiting on my bore guide from Midway.

I plan to test Berger 130 and 140 VLDs first using Dan Newberry's OCW

Cheers!

Picture012.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Re: Newest build - 6.5x47mm Lapua

Thanks fellas!

Total weight (empty) is thirteen pounds even. So much for the lighter contour barrel! I don't think any rifle can be considered lightweight with that monster Premier sitting on top!

Very nice rifle! I have been very happy with the 6.5x47, been shooting it in f-class since it was introduced by Lapua. Varget and the Berger 130 is a tough combo to beat!

Very nice, two thumbs up. I really like how the blasted barrel looks with the black action

I just shot my new Kampfeld rifle today. All I can say she is a hammer. Karl does awesome work.

Rich

Quality components put together with quality workmanship. Can't go wrong there... Enjoy the rifle!

Great looking set up. I would like to see some targets from the load development. I have a Bartlien 1/8 twist, varmint contour in 6.5 and even picked up 200 pieces of 6.5x47 Lapua brass in anticipation of having one built this fall. Thanks
    J. Head

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking rig. Why a midway bore guide instead of a Lucas? </div></div>

Ran out of money!

I hope to have a range report soon!

Thanks for the kind words all!

That is sexy. Looking forward to the range report.

My VLD Bergers wanted to be seated too far into the lands to the point they were sticking half-way through a match, but of course that was in MY barrel. Scenar 123's shot as good as Bergers, but I use Cauteruccio hand made bullets that cost the same as others.

Definatly try the 123 Scenars with RL-15. I'm getting around 2950 with 37.3 grains.

How do you like the Premier?

100_3983.jpg
    100_3987_2-1.jpg

your 6.5 lapua looks very similar to mine. you have good taste man.

Sorry for the delay fellas. I'm not only out of bullets (Midway backorder) but I'm trying to root cause why I needed almost 6 mils of windage to zero my rifle.

SH member <span style="color: #3333FF">PGS</span> was kind enough to send me his lapping kit for my rings, but unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. Right now I'm waiting on my second scope base to see if there is a difference.

More to come . . .

I'm having good luck with the 130 grain Bergers and H4350, but need to fine tune the load and test it past 100 meters.

The Premier is awesome! It is such a pleasure to look through as it is the brightest scope I own.

i'm running 123 scenars with varget. 8.0 mils to 1060 from a hundred yard zero. these little 6.5x47 lapua's are simply awesome. i have some 130 jlk's on order, but who knows when they will come in.

I hope that it will shoot as good as it looks I really like the configuration you made.
    Why have you decided to go with the 6.5X47 Lapua I heard that it is in the same category as the .260 remington but it's a burrel burner?

Good luck enjoy shooting it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope that it will shoot as good as it looks I really like the configuration you made.
    Why have you decided to go with the 6.5X47 Lapua I heard that it is in the same category as the .260 remington but it's a burrel burner?

Good luck enjoy shooting it </div></div>

Thanks. I hope to have a range report in another few weeks. Still waiting on bullets.

Quite the opposite on the 6.5x47mm Lapua versus the .260 Remington. The Lapua case is slighter shorter, and uses less powder. It comes close to matching .260 velocities (100-200 fps less) but the barrel will last much longer. I'm told 4-5k for this caliber. This is my main reason for going with the Lapua round. My other rifle is a 7mm Remington Magnum, and I'm sick of replacing barrels after 1500 rounds!

Another good choice (as you may already know) is the 6.5 Creedmore if you are concerned about barrel life. This caliber is supposed to come closer to .260 velocites, but is easier on the barrel.

Well didn't know that
    Thanks for the explenation

Really nice rifle! I look forward to hearing more about it once you get more time with it.

Preliminary range report with Berger 130 VLDs and H4350 powder. This was my initial 100 meters, 3-shot group test (round robin)to determine an optimum charge weight. All bullets were 0.005" off the lands.

The 40.0 charge weight has potential, but I don't like the velocity. More to come . . .

2nd_test_into_lands_H4350_CTC.jpg

charge.jpg

If you are .005 off the lands, you might as well try jamming it into the lands and see if it increases the accuracy. With a 6.5X47, there should be plenty of room in the mag, and the case can handle it if there's some odd pressure in yer first few load attempts. With a custom chamber, it should align fine because 6.5X47 Lapua brass is pretty concentric. Still, it wouldn't hurt to measure them and then turn a few to make them concentric. You DO have a concentricity gauge, right?
    wink.gif

09-175-p.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WYK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are .005 off the lands, you might as well try jamming it into the lands and see if it increases the accuracy. With a 6.5X47, there should be plenty of room in the mag, and the case can handle it if there's some odd pressure in yer first few load attempts. With a custom chamber, it should align fine because 6.5X47 Lapua brass is pretty concentric. Still, it wouldn't hurt to measure them and then turn a few to make them concentric. You DO have a concentricity gauge, right?
    wink.gif

</div></div>

10-4 brother.

I've already cleaned up the necks on all my cases, and concentricity is lookin' good. I actually have that exact Sinclair gauge too.

I plan on adjusting seating depth in some future testing, including jamming the VLDs into the lands. As soon a my damn bullet order arrives . . .

I called JLK earlier this week and they said there haven't been any J4 jackets shipped in two months! I hope that doesn't hold up Berger too much longer.

Not gonna try the Scenar 123gr and 139gr?

I´m running my 139gr Scenar with 39gr VV n550 at 2821fps:

300meter groups.
    300m.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not gonna try the Scenar 123gr and 139gr?

</div></div>

Those are some nice 300 meter groups. Congrats.

I'm just not sure about trying the Lapua bullets. I read below comments found on 6mmbr.com in an article about the 6.5x47mm Lapua. It has me worried, so I'm sticking with the American bullets for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using a suggested load of 39.0 grains of RL 15, things really started to come together. Darrell had observed that both the Nosler 120s and Sierra 120s seemed to shoot a little tighter than Lapua's Scenar 123s. We attribute this to the fact that the Scenars are about .0005" (half a thousandth) narrower in shank diameter than the American-made 120s. The Scenars did produce some good groups, but overall, the Noslers and Sierras shot tighter on average. [NOTE: The Scenars are great bullets--extremely consistent, but they seem to work best in barrels with a fairly tight bore diameter, such as those typically produced by PacNor.]</div></div>

Well, I would have tried them, regardless what an article says…
    If they don´t shoot , don´t use them, but them might shoot as a MoFo
    wink.gif

best group you had was #8 42gr h4350

I run 28" barrel, .010 jAM, oal 2.800, 130gr bullets only/HBN coated

41.5gr is my current load 2975fps from my longer barrel

x47 will do much same as 260/CM, as well or better.

Glock, maybe you and Nick need to compare notes?!

Nice rifle. I say: range day at Young's!
    smile.gif

Glock24

You need to try the 123 Scenars in the lands in front of 37.5 grains of Varget, or 130 bergers in front of 42 - 42.3 grains of H4350 (in the lands).

Here are a few of my targets shot with my 6.5x47 and yes my gun shoots like this all the time. It does quite well in the 600 yard matches that I shoot.

All groups are 5 shot groups unless noted.

In fact there is a 200 - 600yd prone match at Washtenaw this weekend that I'll be attending. You should try and make it. Take Care!

Groups...
    65group2.jpg

65group3.jpg

65group1.jpg

Rifle...
    65x47LapuaFC.jpg