• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newest Gas gun build - another 264 LBC-AR

GunjunkieM24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Monahans Tx
Well,
Mark posted up his new build and I thought I would do the same. If any of you are having reservations on the new .264 LBC-AR chamber, dont.....they are tac drivers. I dont feel like getting in a pissing contest about the Grendel deal but long story short, I wanted to chamber my own barrel blank and that just was not possible to do in a Grendel. I build my own rifles and take great pride in doing so. The rifle has been built for about 4 months now and has ~350 rounds through it. It is a little dirty as I just came in from the range today and have not cleaned it up.

I have 2 other genuine "Grendel" Chambered rifles and they shoot great....with AA ammo. I have had some issues with them feeding the hornady ammo reliably even though the Hornady with the 123 AMAX seems to shoot best out of my AA 18 inch and my Satern 18". I have also had some issues with the Black Hills feeding reliably out of them although not quite to the extent of the Hornady. I built both of those rifles from the ground up as well and wanted to try my hand at chambering and contouring my own barrel. When I tried to locate a Grendel Reamer.....well, that is when I started getting pissed. I finally called Dave at PTG and he reccomended the 264 LBC as an alternative and I have been VERY pleased with his reccomendation. Granted, this rifle has a Cut rifled Bartlein barrel but the others have "high end" barrels as well.

Here are the specs:

* Bartlein Barrel in 8.5 twist ( started as varminter contour )finished at 18", Mid length Gas system
* Les Baer barrel extension and bolt
* Adams Arms Piston Kit
* Cardinal Forge upper
* PRI "Delta" forearm ( Mid Length )
* Stiller lower receiver
* Timney 3# Skeletonized Trigger
* VLTOR Carbine stock
* Harris Bipod
* Kahles 4x12 scope
* Shitty Mount until I get a Larue..

I have to say that what impresses me most about this chamber is that it feeds EVERYTHING GRENDEL as well as the Black Hills .264 LBC ammo. IT has proven to be at least a 3/4 MOA rifle with everything except Wolf. The LBC 123 AMAX and the 123 scenar AA ammo is absolute tack drivers printing groups in the sub 1/4 MOA area @ 100 yards. I have yet to find a hand load that will surpass these loads but have matched them with AMAX / Win 748 powder. When I first built it, I went with the traditional DI system and a PRI Handguard but really wanted to try the piston kit to see if it really did cost any substantial accuracy. Well, that myth was correct, I lost a whopping .009 average on my group sizes by going to the piston system and the weather was about 10 degrees hotter and that was probably me and not the system. So I cannot say that the piston system is equivilent to a DI system in accuarcy but on this particular rifle, the difference is almost non existent. The recoil pulse is ..."different" not really less, but different,,,in a good way to me. I seem to get back on target quicker with it versus the DI but I do give up some weight gain with it....time will tell whether I stay with it or not.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg