• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newest Goal: 1st Triathlon

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
I've recently had the urge to learn to swim (properly) and the idea came to mind that after I get my form down and start increasing the distance that I'll be pretty well set to do a Sprint length Triathlon. I need someone to help me train though, so I asked my close friend and lifting partner of the last three years (happens to be one of the fastest high school swimmers in AZ right now) if he was interested in doing one with me. He's interested so we're going to work on this together and hopefully be ready for our first ever triathlon sometime after november.

This works out very well for both of us because he can teach me how to swim the right way. I can help him in the bike portion as that is my main form of exercize, in fact I raced in the Tour de Tucson a couple years ago and placed pretty well. We both need help with running though. We've been pretty even with each other as far as personal records but I have alot more time on the track team doing sprints. Distance running is NOT my forté.

At any rate, I'm really looking foreword to training for this and just thought I'd share my newest goal with you guys. Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,
Dylan

Re: Newest Goal: 1st Triathlon

Triathlons are awesome. I did my first Sprint in August, and did an Olympic two weeks ago. The swimming can be frustrating at first, but it's really amazing how fast it comes along. Before long, the swim will be the easy part.

I just took on a tri coach and am about to start getting ready for my first Ironman next season. The run is my weakest as I'm not much of a fast runner, but my coach has done wonders with some other triathletes I work with and transformed their weaakness into strong suits.

Have fun, get ready to be hooked.

My buddy told me he would talk to his School Team coach as well as his Club team coach and see if I can get any help from either of them as well. I am a pretty fast learner, but what I am worried about is the breathing rythm. I've tried it so many times before and just can't seem to get a grasp on how to do it right. No matter what I always end up sucking water into my lungs. It's been so bad before that I have a hard time even building up the guts to give it another shot...

Swimming distance seems impossible at first, but I promise if you just stick with it, it will just click one day and you'll have it whooped.

Try the Total Immersion DVD's, they really are great, albeit boring.

My first sprint is coming up next weekend! Good luck with the swimming. It's my weakness of the three.

Have you joined up at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Good place to record your training. Seems like I do more if I have a place to write it down and keep track of things.

I just created my account for the above website. Thanks for the link!

Good luck with your upcoming sprint!!!

Terror,

There is a secret to runnning.

Its called the Trial of Miles.

A good reference to a runners mindset can be found in the book "Once a Runner". Its a great book about high end running. You will enjoy it as an athlete.

Otherwise, just get out there and do it. Mix up some speedplay in there, its just like biking but with different muscles. Dont forget to do bricks!!

If you have any further questions, just PM me. I went 72nd in Collegiate Nationals in '06 and can give you any advice you want from mentality to equiptment to training philosophy.

Best of luck! It doesn't take much to get hooked.

Be prepared to spend money. When UPS shows up at my house my wife says "gun parts or bike parts?"...

Thanks guys
smile.gif

Not sure if you've picked an event yet, but the Tempe international is a great one. If that goes well I'd highly recommend the Deuces Wild in Show Low which is an olympic distance but a great time. I'm going to be getting back into Triathlons next year and hope to see you out there.

I haven't picked an event yet. Thanks for the recomendations, i'll look into both of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pvfd304</div><div class="ubbcode-body">word of advise... be careful out there!

My race review </div></div>
That sucks man! I hate when a crash brings the entire race to a sudden halt and ends it right there
frown.gif

Curious though, you mention that you should get a waterproof watch during the T1 review; why do you feel the need to have a watch at all during the race?

Just to get an idea of where I'm at during the race. I like to compare my mile intervals during the run.

Good to know, thanks.

Well, I think I may be SOL for running/tri's... I went on a hike/climb type trail (for the 6th time now) and on the way down the pain in my knees was just unbearable. I made it but I'm having a very difficult time walking around today. That coupled with a crash I had yesterday while mountain biking is leaving me in a good deal of pain. But that's the price we pay
wink.gif

My right knee is worse than the left, but both are popping under very light stress. I'm going to take the week off of cardio and just do upper body I guess.

I had lots of knee pain when starting out. A Cho=Pat knee strap seemed to help me out. I weened myself off of it and now have no more knee pain. Might be worth a try.