• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newly complete Argy/DSA FAL

brt1963

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
CT
I know, it is not a "precision" rifle, but I'm happy all the same.

The story is, back in 1994, shortly after the Clinton AWB passed, my local fun shop has several Argy (FMAP) barreled uppers for sale. new chrome lined barrel, no flash hider, just a crowned nub.

of course, I bought one. Then, off to the Shotgun News and find a used L1A1 lower, and voila, I've got a frankenFAL. Never figured out the magic of headspacing it - fired it a few mags full, but it kinda sat in the safe, as the beat L1A1 lower just did not do it justice. Lucky me, it didn't do anything ugly, as it turned out to have .004 too much headspace.

Good thing, as fast forward a few (15)years, and I learn about locking shoulders and proper headspace measurement, and the dread 922r complaince parts counts. Again, it sits.

I finally make the move to buy a DSA metric lower with US parts - put the order in last March. They've been busy, and managed to not fill out a build sheet for me in their shop for a while. It came in last month, ~12.5 months after ordering.

In the meantime, I've got my set of go/no go gauges, and US made cocking handle, and a few other parts ready (1" extended butt pad, correct bipod, etc)

So - I had to headspace, and order and wait for a proper locking shoulder from DSA. While I was waiting, I was lured into the SWFA site, and bought an IOR fixed 4x scope with CQB reticle to mount up.

Finished up yesterday, so, in proper FALFiles fashion, pic with concrete, feet and booze, mag inserted

IMGP2105.jpg

and one to make SWMBO happy - she hates CLP on the leather...

IMGP2100.jpg

adjust gas and sight in later this week when the rain abates.

Re: newly complete Argy/DSA FAL

Great rifle, I've got one as well. Actually got the upper from DSA. The cap on the muzzle is removable and the barrel is threaded (left hand thread) in case you want to install a flash hider

Hi nice rifle i wish we were still allowed to have our semi auto's i had a NIB SLR australian Made L1A1 in grease with hammer forged barrel and another one as a shooter we purchased them from the factory when they were switching over to Aug's. i then caried one for half of my army service then to the AUG and i would love to have one of htose aswell. i have a friend with a good condition one and they are over 5 grand now mine was under 800 aust dollars from the factory and we got pain 2500 in the buy back.

Happy shooting there are more and more quality parts coming out to fit scopes and accesories to them and they work realy well with short barrels. in vietnam the SAS would sometimes cut the barrel off in front of the gas block wind the port open and use it as a short barreled rifle when they were in thick jungle and did not want to use an AR how things change.

very nice fal ! here is a fix for the rear sight,get a sight ramp and m-1 carbine rear sight -center the two -mig weld ..now you have a rear which needs no tools for windage .. its works like a ghost ring .. also use nato 762x51 headspsce gauge not 308 ...my stg 58 gets 1.50 at 100 yds irons when i do my part with good ammo!oh yes i also cheating with a Q-brake mounted too!