• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Next 30 cal rifle build caliber help!

dmossu

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hi All, looking for some advise on what my next rifle caliber should be. The gun will be used primarily for elk/mule deer hunting in Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

I currently have a .300WM with a 1-10 twist that only gets about 2,750-2,800 fps with Berger 215's and I feel that I could do better. I have about 300 Berger 230's that I plan to run through this new build (or the 215's, we'll see).

I'm strongly considering a .300PRC (1-9 twist) or a 30 Nosler. The real question is, would the PRC be that big of an upgrade to the 300WM? If not, would the 30Nosler or 300NM be?

I have read a bunch of good things on the Nosler, but how is the barrel life for everyone?

With the Norma you would have to get a Lapua bolt, PRC would work with the standard magnum bolt.

Reactions: dmossu
I shoot 225 ELDMs out of my 26” WM at 2900 fps, but I single load and they’re loaded long, about 3.650”. Those are to long for my magazine. The PRC will probably do a little better and will feed these longer rounds from the magazine.

If you are set up to reload for your WM and your magazine will allow longer cartridge lengths I would stick with it.