• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Next Build Help Please make up my mind

Aces&Eights

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Wisconsin
So... want ti build an AR based SAS I am in love with the idea of 6.8 because i am a plinker, not a match shooter. This weapon may be used for hunting. I am not oppesd to a .308 or anything else for that matter I am looking for educated opinions and I believ I came to the right place
grin.gif

Re: Next Build Help Please make up my mind

1) Fill out your profile.

2) What type of game, if any, do you plan on hunting with the rifle you are considering?

3) What ranges do you envision needing to shoot with it (whether it be for plinking, target, hunting, etc.)?

If all you want is a plinker...I would stay away from the 6.8SPC. The cost of 6.8 ammo is a good bit more expensive (approx. 2x or 3x more) than 5.56/.223 ammo and you can't locate surplus/bulk 6.8 as easily as you can 5.56. Hell, decent 7.62/308 is cheaper than most 6.8SPC ammo these days.

I wll be looking at small to mid game, coyote and White tail.

The longest range I have availible to me is 300 yds, but I do not want that to dictate my build. To be honest with myself there is some interest simply becuase it is a newer cartridge, relatively speaking.

Profile should be complte now.. I am not sure what happened.

Boltripper......being originaly from the sickago area recomends ,,,,,,,,a plaine-ole bolt gun in .308.....w/modest glass and plenty of match grade ammo......stay off the bench and practice postitional shooting.....come back here for more instructions when you wear the barrel out.

....carry on

Boltripper...hit me up for whiskey if you ever come back, I like you already

i'll be around this summer....be prepared to pick me up at midway....and proceed to home run inn for some pie.....

If plinking is your goal, then the 6.8 will give you headaches getting ammo. If hunting is your goal, then there's cheaper and better alternatives for a gas gun. If you want a gas gun that can both plink and hunt, then I'd go with a 308 anyway. If you're completely dedicated to an AR-15 platform, maybe a 5.56 upper for plinking and a 6.5Grendel or 6.8 for when you want to hunt.

The real key here is, as you can see, figuring out what role you want your rifle to primarily fill. Everything else falls into place. If I were you, I'd get an AR-10. Then again, I really like AR-10s...

I think that ZLB is right on...get a 308 gas gun if you want a dual-use, plinking and hunting gas rifle, or alternatively, get two seperate uppers for a standard AR-15 lower (5.56 for cheap, effective plinking/range rifle and 6.5 Grendel for hunting/longer range work).

Your options are nearly endless with either choice...what is your budget for the rifle/build (don't forget to include line items in your budget for mags, optics, rings/mounts, etc., etc., etc.).

I just finsihed my ar 15 5.56 last week which also makes the 6.8 more attractive as I can start with just the upper. My current 5.56 will ultimatley become my Wife's as I finish my next couple builds.

for small game (350-500lbs) the 6.8 will be fine withing the 300-350 envelope but for plinking, buy a .22! 6.8 ammo is expensive