• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Next node for 308

Shakeber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
My current recipe for my Rem 5r in 308 is 44.8 gr. of Varget under a 165 gameking seated to 2.81. Any idea where the next node would be. In finding this load, I loaded from 44.8 to 46.2 in 0.2 gr. increments. It seemed that it was closing up again at the 46.2 but unfortunately that was the extent of my testing.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Next node for 308

take pictures of your targets next time for personal data. Its hard to tell really with out seeing.

I still have the targets. I have already done an OCW and it shoot good. I was just wondering where the next node is. I'm not certain that I want to necessarily load that hot. I will be shooting two loads thru a chrono in the next couple of days and they are both rather mild (RE15 = 42.5gr and Varget = 44.8 gr.). Just trying to find out from those that have tested higher loads. Thanks for your response AKD.

You should see a scatter node between the load you're running now and the 46.2 gr you worked up to. Your next node will be 1.5% above that. IIRC the next node is upwards of 46.5gr give or take a tenth or two. It's a stiff load for sure, may or may not show pressure signs in your rifle.

For a hunting load, next node maybe; solely in an effort to improve terminal performance.

For a match load, which will see much more duty, I think finding the next node is a matter of trying to fix something that's not broken.

You're already right around where most of us would be more comfortable leaving it alone. My 'reasonable' loads for .308 with Varget are 46.0gr with 150/155's, and 45.0gr with 168/175's. Maybe a hair over for the 168.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a hunting load, next node maybe; solely in an effort to improve terminal performance.

For a match load, which will see much more duty, I think finding the next node is a matter of trying to fix something that's not broken.

You're already right around where most of us would be more comfortable leaving it alone. My 'reasonable' loads for .308 with Varget are 46.0gr with 150/155's, and 45.0gr with 168/175's. Maybe a hair over for the 168.

Greg </div></div>

I wouldn't even worry about the next node for better terminal performance for hunting. My experience is there is 100-150fps between nodes. Unless there is an animal genetically engineered in a laboratory specifically for balistics testing, I doubt any animal will know the differance with such a small increase.

On the other hand, if you had the desre to extend the range of you're gun by keeping the bullet super sonic another 75 yards or so, go for it. For what it's worth, I get the best groups at 45.7 grains of Varget with a 168 SMK.

Thanks for the replies. Actually my most accurate load is 42.5 gr. of RL15 under a 165 gameking seated to 2.78". I'm getting right at 2600 fps but a consistent 0.3 moa at 200 yds (5 shots). I was given the Varget recipe from a fellow Remmy 5r owner and thought I would give it a shot. Thanks again.

With a 168 right below 46 is my most consistent accuracy node with Varget. Also just shy of 44 is tight too, just not as consistent.

Thanks shepheard, what are you shooting? Is a 24" barrel? if so, what mv are you getting? Thanks.

I've got a 22" on my Savage. As far as MV I don't have a Chrono. Check out Practical Riflery Forums. Lots of info on where to find those nodes. So far it's been pretty damn close for me.