• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Next Project Savage FV-SR

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
Snagged one of the new Savage FV-SR Mark II's. Short, pre-threaded barrel. Fluted. Accu-Trigger. Big bolt handle. Just comes with a crap stock. So far, that's been swapped out with a flawed Boyd's Tacticool stock. Just waiting on the trigger guard. I'm going to make the magazine plate out of some 1/8 steel plate.
Shoots fantastic with Remington Bulk ammo. Can't wait to feed it some decent ammo. Shot even better once the Accu-trigger spring was lightened.

Right now it has a cheap CenterPoint Mildot scope which is actually working quite well so far.
P1040674-800.jpg

Re: Next Project Savage FV-SR

Wait, isn't the factory stock the same as the boyds stock?

Not on the FV-SR model. That's what keeps the price down. I'm in for less than $300 with the Boyds Stock but have the same rifle as the more expensive TR-SR and have a shorter barrel to boot. Just working the system my friend.

Once I get all the parts needed, I'll re-crown it, refinish it with some AK-black Gunkote and texture the stock. It's going to be a mini-me version of my 7mm-08.

The refinishing job might take a little while. I have not worked on a rifle with a finish this rough. It really looks like it was shaped with a grinding wheel. It's really quite bad even for Savage Stevens standards. I'll grab some close ups for before and after pics.

Mike

Nice! I was thinking about picking one of these up and a sparrow but im hesitating since dropping that kind of coin isnt really saving me a whole lot lol

Say I havent seen those stocks available from boyds for a while, are they back up on their site?

Just ordered a black one today for the FV SR I have coming Wednesday and was told it's a 6 week wait from day of order.

Which bottom metal is everyone using for the Boyd's stock?

They had the tan ones for a while. I think they are all sold out now. Mine is a Factory Seconds one so it has a little problem around the mag well but nothing too major. I'll post some pics of the stock this evening if I get a chance with some test targets.

Sorry its been a while till I could get back to this thread. i shot the FV with the new stock this weekend. Very pleased so far. The stock had a few problems but I'm working on those.

This is Boyd's mark showing why this is a factory 2nd.

P1040684.JPG

Here's a pic with my homemade bottom metal with the stock:
P1040692.JPG

The action was rubbing on the stock all over the place:
P1040694.JPG

P1040695.JPG

Some sanding with a socket and sandpaper to remove the high spots in prep for bedding. For right now, I only sanded enough for a smooth even fit. I figured I would give that a try and then remove more so the bedding compound has room to support the action. Also remove some wood on the front where it was a little close to the barrel. It wasn't rubbing but damn close on one side. The channel appears to be cut a little off center.
P1040708.JPG

P1040707.JPG

You can also see in the above pic that its a laminated stock that's been painted. Case closed on that one. The next pic is the target shot with Blazer, Remington Bulk ammo, and Remington Subsonic all shot in 10 shot groups at 25yds from bipod with rear bag. The larger groups were shot by by buddy Rene. Honest!
P1040712.JPG

I've got a lot more work to do. I'm going to work on the stock a little more, install pillars, then bed it with Devcon. For the finish, I'm going to sand the action and barrel to remove the majority of machine marks and give it a coat of AK Black Gunkote.

Mike

Can you verify this is threaded 1/2 x 28?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ds762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you verify this is threaded 1/2 x 28? </div></div>

I'm in Dallas this weekend but as soon as I get back later tonight or tomorrow, I've measure and give a confirmation.

I love this gun. The action is getting smoother from use and accuracy is improving. Best of all, its shooting the bulk Remington ammo better and better!

Mike

Less than $300 for the rifle AND Boyds stock!? How'd you manage that? When the rifle was in stock at budsgunshop.com, it was $275.

I passed on converting the FVSR because I came up with these totals.

$275 shipped for the rifle
$15 for FFL transfer
$50 for bottom metal, trigger guard + matching screws (you saved here on making your own, nice job)
$109.50 after shipping for the Boyds stock (you saved ~$27 for blemished)

$439 total.

I got my TRSR local for $419 + tax - $85 for opening a Cabella's account. $371. Much cheaper than converting anything or mail ordering. But obviously the $85 off made that deal.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your rifle if you paid $65+ shipping on the stock and are still under $300???

I have an FFL and didn't buy retail.
smile.gif
I ordered the rifle with others and saved a lot on shipping. I think my part for the rifle and shipping was around $240? So it was right at $300 for the pic above. Since then I've bought the trigger guard through Savage with dealer pricing. I had screws but the ones from the original stock fit fine. Just needed a couple of back wood screws. No problem there.

As a plus, I sold the original stock on the bay for $45+shipping. I watched one sell right before mine for $51+ shipping. Crazy. That almost paid for the Boyd's stock. I'm back to under $300.

I still need to check the muzzle threads. I got in late last night and had a septic tank problem this morning so I forgot to check the threads.

Mike

Yeah, that FFL/dealer pricing helps
smile.gif

The threads are 1/2-28 unless you specifically ordered 1/2-20.

I want this model also, a few on gunbroker claim to be the same sku # 28702 but they have small bolt handle, no flutes and not a full rail, Did Savage make the first ones without all the goodies? My Remington Model Five just dont chamber the conical bullets like the Cbee's, so me and my sparrow want to make the switch!

Thought I would post a little update.

I've since bedded the rifle and messed with the trigger springs to get a cleaner and crisper trigger release.

Below is the latest test target from about 30 yards.
22_Target.jpg

As you can see, Wolf Match Extra performs fantastic! I have another box of Wolf Match Target that did well last time, I'll try it again to see if there is any difference between the "Extra" or "Target" versions. Aguila did well but not great. Oddly, bedding has changed the harmonics enough that Blazer no longer shoots well at all. Shame, since it was on sale I bought 550 of it but it works o.k. for the kids.

Those are all 10 x shot groups in order from right to left. I figured by 30 shots you should be able to tell if the ammo will shoot well or not.