• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Next Scope Choice?

simpy16

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Boise, ID
Planning to make another scope purchase in the coming months and stuck on which direction to go. Kinda wanting to try something new over what I already have and get a chance to evaluate another scope. Right now thinking of something in the 5-25 range and not looking to go TT money on this one but willing to hover around the $2k area. Want Mil based with not a huge concern on reticle options.

Currently own:
NF 4-16x42 (AR10 platform)
(2) ZCO 5-27 (comp rifles)
Mark5 3-18 (hunting rifle)
Mark6 3-18 (hunting rifle)

Previously Owned:
Kahles 624
Kahles 525
NF 7-35
Sig Tango 6 3-18
Several PST model Vortex

Considering:
Burris XTR3 5.5-30(want to see if it can hang with some of the other scopes that are price a little higher than it)
Mark5 5-25 (basically just big brother to what I have but a solid scope and could be fun on a big caliber hunting rifle)
Leica PRS 5-30 (My first nice scope was a simple Leica and this interests me to see how it stacks up to other "tactical" scopes)
Maven RS.4 5-30 (Can the DTC scope deliver or is it just marketing hype?)
Razor HD2 5-27 (rather old scope but still solid, not a Vortex fanboy at all, can I stomach owning one)

What scopes am I not thinking of that I should consider? Anyone have some insight to these scopes I am considering that can help me narrow down the search? Thanks.

Last edited:
My vote goes to the Leica 5-30. It is right up there in clarity with the Schmidt's which out prices them by about 1k or more. Turrets are good, parallax isn't too finicky, and has a good mag range. I found it be much better glass wise than the XTR3 and the Mark 5's and Gen II razors. For the price I don't think they can be beat by others in the same class.

Wait for shot show. I have been seeing rumors, especially vortex, that some new designs are right around the corner. Might be worth waiting too see... I certainly am.

For around $2.5K and a little patience can get you into a PMII 525 in the PX. Probably the best value for the money I’ve seen and something different than what you’ve had or currently own. I’d strongly consider it if you haven’t already and if you don’t care about purchasing second hand vs new.

i'm thinking you should get one of the dual focal plane march 1-10x scopes with the tr-1 reticle, and when you decide it isn't what you wanted or needed, you could sell it to a poor like me for a good deal. :p

Wish I could. Chomping at the bit!!

I promise though, the shooting community is really going to like this.. its going to be a rock solid American made choice for 2022..
Well crap, I am out if it’s American made. With labor shortage I won’t see the scope til 2024 and inflation for wages it will be $4k easily!

• Haha
Reactions: Birddog6424
Well crap, I am out if it’s American made. With labor shortage I won’t see the scope til 2024 and inflation for wages it will be $4k easily!
Haha, nothing that extreme.

Burris has built their brand on good value. A whole lot of optic for the money.

And its entirely possible it may already be under production. There may be someone that has one sitting on their kitchen table. Or has already been used in a local competition. 😉

Reactions: Gohring65
I avoided the 5-25 pmii forever because of the low end tunneling. About a year ago I finally got one and realized what I was missing. I hold this scope in way better regards than the Leica (used to own one). I’d get a pmii to round out your collection.