• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NextGen NVG...sort of...

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Some have asked about nextgen NV (ENVG) and I was hesitant to say much. That being said, I logged in today and started looking for any publicly, ITAR releaseable stuff that is out there, and found this marketing video from a few years back. It should give some you an idea of what is out there as of several years ago...

Sorry for the "buzz word v2.0 compliant" BD video...

Attachments

• ENVG III_FWS-I_sales_sheet.pdf
      726.9 KB · Views: 47
    I'll bet that sucker smokes batteries!

Depends on what is being used/toggled (wireless connections, HUD, etc.)...

Honestly, I've always wondered what it would be like to use these as a vehicle driving kit, mounted to the front bumpers (multiple ones, electronically merge together into a single picture) to allow driving at night with greater FOV...

Probably something the @TheGerman would want to buy...

Reactions: SkyScrapin
    so, would the monocular on the helmet use a small screen or is it some sort of techno wizardry utilizing a screen and an intensifier tube? (stupid question, I know)

Per ITAR regs, people can't really explain "how it works" in a public environment, only that it does work. The set I looked through/played with was pretty impressive though (this was back in the summer of 16, at SOFIC, IIRC).

Neat stuff for sure.
    Watching the promo video and what appears to be wireless/BlueTooth connectivity to the helmet mounted unit from the weapon mounted unit made me immediately think back to a symposium I was fortunate to be part of a few months ago.

Basically they were talking about enemy capability whether it be cartels, 3rd world armies or Great Power countries.

A lot of that was stunning information regarding the already existing ability for small drones (deployable on a squad level) to fairly easily "sniff" an area for any type of electronic emissions. The easily sourced sensors can detect and even track/target sources of emissions down to very, very low output levels. They were adamant in the discussions about our potential enemies, especially peer or near peer combatants being able to not only nullify any tech advantage our equipment may offer but even use that tech to very precisely target our guys.

Was eye opening and also seemed like an obvious "duh" moment that you would expect our war fighters to take into account.

./

Last edited:
    Terry,

Absolutely (I wondered if anyone was going to catch that). Hence the "toggle the weapon sight" comment to create the link to the nods. I think this was done to limit the EMI from the wireless connection to an erratic, non continuous signal/emission. Similar to the cold war days of only keying the mic on the radio no longer than 3 secs to prevent/limit DF.

But yeah, the RF spectrum is getting really busy...and noisy. And everyone is trying to hide in the noise these days.

I think the one vulnerability is, as you mentioned, in certain environments (like the jungle) there isn't a lot of clutter to get lost in (like non-urban areas or countries without a large wireless spectrum footprint). Whether that is where our next conflict will be conducted, and whether it will be against a peer adversary capable of exploiting that, is up to debate.

MarinePMI,

One would think that if a team were covertly working in an urban area of a developed country there would be a lot of random RF noice across the board.

However if our guys were attempting to run direct action or even defensive/counter operations in an established battle space contested by a peer or near peer, you can bet the normal domestic RF emissions would be totally off line and the entire spectrum would be jammed as fuck. The whole environment would be austere as fuck.

So either we can't use the tech because the jungle/desert/arctic, etc. doesn't have a lot of signal noise to hide in or
    we can't use it because the airwaves are being electronically bleached so damned hard, your MREs are already warmed when it's chow time.

The surveillance tech our guys hinted at is amazing in it's ability to search for and locate very specific frequency ranges at even very low output while being totally smothered in a sea of other RF energy. We can do it with Rivet Joint on a wide scale but it can be done on very local scale by small teams via drone.

Crazy stuff.

Watching video of Russian hunter/killer teams in Syria using high tech thermal and suppressed rifles with plate defeating rounds to harvest resistance fighters at will is very sobering and pisses me off. I'm hoping there are some savy people with enough rank in the planning and training echelons to see this and get ready.

I see all of this high tech stuff as shown in the video above and I am awed by it in a child like way.
    However, I would feel better knowing that we were keeping a bunch of young, pissed off Marines hungry and just itching for blood while training them to fucking kill and break everything in sight using just a spork and rocks if they had to.

./

Last edited:
    Reactions: MarinePMI
    Things have progressed as people slowly realized the world we will fight in will require some creative thinking. 😎 If you’re back in San Diego again to give another class, let me know. We can compare notes...

Last edited:
    MarinePMI,

One would think that if a team were covertly working in an urban area of a developed country there would be a lot of random RF noice across the board.

However if our guys were attempting to run direct action or even defensive/counter operations in an established battle space contested by a peer or near peer, you can bet the normal domestic RF emissions would be totally off line and the entire spectrum would be jammed as fuck. The whole environment would be austere as fuck.

So either we can't use the tech because the jungle/desert/arctic, etc. doesn't have a lot of signal noise to hide in or
    we can't use it because the airwaves are being electronically bleached so damned hard, your MREs are already warmed when it's chow time.

The surveillance tech our guys hinted at is amazing in it's ability to search for and locate very specific frequency ranges at even very low output while being totally smothered in a sea of other RF energy. We can do it with Rivet Joint on a wide scale but it can be done on very local scale by small teams via drone.

Crazy stuff.

Watching video of Russian hunter/killer teams in Syria using high tech thermal and suppressed rifles with plate defeating rounds to harvest resistance fighters in at will is very sobering and pisses me off. I'm hoping there are some savy people with enough rank in the planning and training echelons to see this and get ready.

I see all of this high tech stuff as shown in the video above and I am awed by it in a child like way.
    However, I would feel better knowing that we were keeping a bunch of young, pissed off Marines hungry and just itching for blood while training them to fucking kill and break everything in sight using just a spork and rocks if they had to.

./
    The Sentinel: Always Vigilant

Reactions: Terry Cross
    Semper Vigilans
    20200418_084935.jpg