• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 1000 yr velocity reticle

Re: NF 1000 yr velocity reticle

I have used one on my AR10 that matches the Mk11, it was actually made for the Mk 11 and the Seals.

How they work best is, to make sure your MV matches the reticle as close as possible, It so happens the AR10 I have it on it pretty close to dead on. (I tried it on a different 308 with mixed results because of the MV)

Once you match the velocity, you then get a course zero normally, then move to a distance like 500 yards and fine tune your zero at that distance using the 500 yard line on the reticle. When this is accomplished it works very well. The scope is fast and easy with no real thinking at all. If you're at that yard line, simply hold the appropriate line.

The key is zeroing it in the middle of the usability range. I have used it to great success to 800 yards, at max effective as it is my 16" AR10, so I haven't taken it further, then again the rifle is not designed for further. With the scope zero fine tuned at 500 as you move closer any slight variation is not noticed the same moving to 800.

It's quick, it's not too busy, and its effective given the vehicle it is being used on. As I said it was designed for the military and is a military model, but other than differences in range and mil dots, the velocity part is the same.

Now if you need to make adjustments based on weather or changes in altitude you simply use the turrets to dial in any changes and then continue to use the reticle. So it's pretty good.

It's a really good hunting reticle and one for quick engagements, precision wise I would definitely recommend fine tuning your load to match as close as possible. They can get they ballistics for the MV very close because of the etched reticle and how they build it, but your rifle has to be matched to it. Don't match the MV adjustment of the reticle to your rifle and forget it, deviations pretty far even zeroing it at distance.

Lowlight, Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to answer a simple question.

Zeroing the scope at middle range makes perfect sense. If you zero at 100 or 1000 then your off just a little it leaves greater range for error amplified over 1000 yards vs 500 yards.

How does the cross hair thickness look compared to the MLR2? I have a NF with a NPR2 reticle and the lines are too thin for me and I was hoping the velocity 1000 reticle would be a little thicker.

I have the Low Velocity 600 2.5-10x on a FNAR. It is a 308 with a 20" barrel so the velocity matches pretty perfect for a 308 coming out of a 18-22" barrel. The cross hair is actually at 200 yards. The tick above cross hair is 100. I have shot it to 600 all the say and it is a perfect match. Of course i have my turrets that i can dial in additional if i need to or change based on temperature etc.

They are very nice reticles. I’m not a fan of velocity RETs myself I prefer RETs that are not calibrated for a specific round. I would rather know my turret adjustments and my holdovers will be the same number and I like to be able to move from one rifle to another without worry if the RET will match.

I have used the velocity RETs and they are FUN but to me not ideal. They would work very well on shooting STEEL or Hunting. You will have to keep in mind environmental changes.

Mike @ CST

I have not used the 1000, but own one MV 600 and one HV 600.
I love them. One issue to be aware of - I have them both on hunting rigs. The reticales are great at high power. When stalking or walking, I typically turn down the scopes, which screws up your zero. Not an issue if you leave it cranked up. Just be aware. You need to spend time at the range and establish what your turned down zero is.
Mike