• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 15x vs 22x

Mc85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2004
Indiana
Ok so Im trying to decide which one to buy. I am on a tight budget and the 1400 $$$ is much more doable than 1600..
But being that "close" I would hate to miss out.
I will be shooting a .308 out to 1000 yds. At 700 yds my cheap center point scope at 16x's does pretty good. I imagine the NF with better glass will do great, but is the extra mag of the 22 worth it?
How much does it help?

I like that the 15x has more marks for holdover so +1 for that.

Re: NF 15x vs 22x

Personally, I like more magnification but, I found the 3.5-15x50 NXS i had, more than adequate to hit a 5x7 collar i fished out of the scrap box at work. BTW, I was shooting at 1000yds. there is a certain point were the extra magnification isnt really advantageous because you'll run into less forgiving exit pupil, more prevalent mirage, etc,etc. but, there is also, good things with more mag for me, i like really high magnification when shooting for high precision at closer ranges IE: 500 yds and in and trying to hit really small targets golf balls, spoons and things of that nature. high mag comes in handy if your hunting animals that you want to put a precise strike on like, hitting a deer in the ear hole. it can come in handy but, if I buy another NXS it prolly wont be a 22x model unless the deal is killer. thats just me. sorry for being long winded.

Hunter

Hunter223 .lol long winded you should see my last couple of replies to people...lol about a page worth ..lol and besides the longer the reply the more info, and the more I learn!!!

Anyways O51F Um idk whatever I can hit. I'd love to be able to break clays at 700 yds, maybe shoot half moa targets at 500 if I am capable.

Honestly though I will be happy with good hits on steel and your standard man size targets.

I don't hunt (not opposed to, I just dont) so that isn't really a worry to me.

I have a savage 10fcp and want a scope that can take advantage of the accuracy potential the rifle has. Generally at 100 yds I can keep my shots right now shooting prone off a harris w/o a rear bag around .5-.75moa and my best group being .383 for 4 shots. I know the rifle is no custom rifle, but it is the most accurate rifle I can afford, and want to make the best use of it I can.

I normally never drop down that low on the power settings. I was shooting 700yds at 10x last weekend. Only time I shoot down around the 3-5 x range is when I am running rounds over the chrono. That being said I imagine 3.5 could have its usefulness.

Was able to see and shoot a 1/4MOA target effectively with the 15x this weekend.

Damn it was so much easier with 25x (Schmidt und Bender), though.

It's better to have the power and NOT need it etc. etc. I'm not a hunter either except for paper and steel. I went with 5.5-22X50 NXS and NEVER looked back. Cry ONCE and buy what YOU want.........
Respectfully,
LG

i have owned both the 5.5-22 and 3.5-15.

i much prefer the 3.5-15 and will buy another. 22x just isn't necessary and makes the scope less user friendly. smaller exit pupil, smaller FOV, more critical eye relief, ect...

I have a bunch of both, and they are great scopes, but I prefer the 3.5-15. IMO, that is a perfect mag range for a field rifle.

I have both.
I like the 3.5-15x better.
Ask yourself how much you will need the lower end, not the top.
I end-up dialing the 22x down at 1000 to cut through mirage.
Actually, I find myself shooting at 12x more than at any other power, regardless of scope.

I own 2- 22x NF, and prefer them over the 15x. The 22x comes in handy when you have the long range shots and need the magnification. The 15x is handy in the field. But, you can dial the 22x down to 11x, and still use the reticle for hold overs and wind, vs 7 1/2 power for the 15x. Honestly, it's a personal preference on the magnifiaction to your use. If it will be more for field work, I'd lean to the 15x.

Whichever one you get, if you will be using the reticle for ranging manually, check the subtension at 15x (or 22x) and 7.5x (or 11x). Then mark the scope body accordingly. I have seen a few of them more than a bit off-the-mark when using the factory indicator marks.

When I looked at this choice originally I thought the 3.5-15 would be better esp. being in the desert many days anything over 10x is useless.

However, after thinking about it more I basically looked at it this way. There's little advantage to me in being able to go down to 3.5 from 5.5, but there's a lot more upper end mag in the 15x to 22x. If it was 2x or 2.5 maybe it would have been a little more difficult. But in my shooting there's been lots of times I've hit 12-16x and would have liked a little more, but I can't remember any times I was at 5x and thought "man I wish I had 3.5x"

For an urban rifle I can see where 2-3x would be a nice option or for a deer gun that may have to be used in close sure. For my use I just saw more advantage being able to go up to 22x -vs- being able to go down to 3.5x.

IMO yes the extra power is worth it. You only give up 2x on the bottom end but you gain 7x on top so for me the 22x is the way to go.

I have the 22X. When I purchased the scope from csgunworks, he suggested that I go with the 15X for a comp/hunting rifle. I wish I would have listened. I really love the scope, but using holds for the wind at 22X on a hot day can be painful with the mirage @ disance. I really don't like to "click" for windage due to different ranges and winds where I shoot competitions. Ideally, the new FFP is the best solution and would go with the higher mag for sure, but they are over the budget..

Just my two cents worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ok so Im trying to decide which one to buy. I am on a tight budget and the 1400 $$$ is much more doable than 1600.. </div></div>

Buy a used x22 for less than $1,400.

get the 22 it will be worth more. Better to have and not need than need and not have. The pain of the extra $200 will only be felt once

I have two 5.5-22x and one 3.5-15x. I prefer more magnification but as others have stated there can be too much especially when a heavy mirage is present.

I'm more of a have it and not need it kind of guy so if anyone wants to trade their 5.5-22x for my 3.5-15x I'd be willing. Mine has an NP-R2 and I'll use NP-R1 or NP-R2 in a 5.5-22x.

The 3.5-15 is much more useful IMO the reticle is much more useful at true value on 15x then it is at 22x.If its not going to be a target as in F class or benchrest but rather a field tactical the lower power has more versatility.You have to ask yourself why when the Marines just updated their scope after decades with a 10x Unertal they felt the 3-12 was the right choice.They certainly could have gone with the 5-25 S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3.5-15 is much more useful IMO the reticle is much more useful at true value on 15x then it is at 22x.If its not going to be a target as in F class or benchrest but rather a field tactical the lower power has more versatility.You have to ask yourself why when the Marines just updated their scope after decades with a 10x Unertal they felt the 3-12 was the right choice.They certainly could have gone with the 5-25 S&B. </div></div>

I would tend to agree. This thread is of interest to me from the power range issues. I'm also going through this issue although with the Leupold Mark4's. There seems to be three distinct schools of thought. Those who feel 10x in max. Those that feel 14-15x is max. Those who like 20-25x upper end.

scout1

I think it depends on the use and rifle. I have a 3.5-15 on my DPMS LR 308 and the 5.5-22 on a VanDyke 338LM. In my opinion, a precision 308 auto is better served with the lower magnification range particularly on the bottom end while the 338LM has extended capability with the higher range magnification on the top.

Had both. Now have 3.5-15x 50mm MIL/MIL NF's. I like both, but when I was at matchs I NEVER went above 15x. BUT its nice shooting test groups with 22 power. Just remember you can dial down in power with the 22, but not up in power about 15x with the 15.

I agree with the idea of having and not needing. In all honesty though is my savage capable of using the extra potential for more precision the 22x could give under good conditions?

Like I said before I don't hunt, and I am not a professional shooter, either in a competition sense or job sense. I agree the 22x would be nice to shoot test groups with and on a good day anything with. It could also maybe help me to spot hits on shoot and see targets out farther providing mirage isn't to bad that day.
On the other hand my hours got cut at work and the extra 200$ is a decent amount of ammo and much needed practice. Being able to see a target @ 22x doesn't do much good if I cant hit it..

and thus my confusion...
Im pretty sure I am going to go with the mil/mil setup.., doesn't the 15X have more elevation on the reticule?
That could be handy for hold overs....

it is harder to spot hits with more magnification because of the smaller field of view.

I also will be choosing between the two.

Question, How does the 5-22 do when turned down to 15x power?

What would the difference be between the two?

thanks,

with the 5.5-22, you kind of need to turn it down to 11x so the hash marks will still work for you (at double value, tho)

so at 11x the .5 mil mark (if you have the MLR) will be 1 mil

What if I'm using it more as a hunting tool? (i'm looking at more of a hunting reticle)
Hash marks will not be in use that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's better to have the power and NOT need it etc. etc. I'm not a hunter either except for paper and steel. I went with 5.5-22X50 NXS and NEVER looked back. Cry ONCE and buy what YOU want.........
Respectfully,
LG</div></div>

+1 on that!

I would rather have the power and not use it than to not have it and need it. Yes you can get by with a 16x scope. But the difference between 16x and 22x is big if you ask me. It seems that you have the cash so why not treat yourself to something that has more power. I have the 5.5x22x56mm and I use the 22x all the time. Plus you don't need to look through your spotting scope as much!! Which means more time on the gun. Just something to think about.

When you are getting into that much $$$ for a scope an extra $200 is not that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranging on 22X sucks.</div></div>

That's what your 1200S is for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranging on 22X sucks.</div></div>

That's what your 1200S is for. </div></div>

That wont help with leads or holdovers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranging on 22X sucks.</div></div>

That's what your 1200S is for. </div></div>

That wont help with leads or holdovers. </div></div>

You're supposed to say 'what happens when the zombies steal your batteries'?

Mc..... STOP ..... Don't buy anything. I run a 10x loopy to 1K at the range...I also have a 15X NF to run on the same range. SuperSeal110 has a 22x Nf on one of his guns.....You need to just come there and shoot with us and you will see for yourself what you need/don't need. Don't buy ANYTHING right now, just wait. Don't let someone on the Internet talk you in to buying some bullshit that you don't need. Check it out for yourself to see what you want/need...front end X's are overrated if your goal is just hits on real world size targets.

ETA: I have no problems with just using the 10x, but Some of the guys I shoot with hate it and wouldn't use it at all. It's nice that we have options now in glass, and you should be able to find something that you like. Like I said above you can come shoot with us and check out different stuff for yourself and see what will work for you. If Graham or SSGK show up then you'll see all the cool new stuff.....they both have some very nice gear!!!

Yeah: what Brad just said.
wink.gif

What....that you and SSGK have alot of nice gear? LOL.

You understand where I'm coming from. Not every scope is an ideal choice for a given individual. I (personally) haven't shot any USO's that I would want to own (again, just my opinion)...I might could give the little 1.8-10x a shot though....it all boils down to a personal choice. I like the NF scopes I've shot with, both the 15x and 22x, I have no issues using either the R1 or R2 reticle, though I did like the MLR reticle you were running. I (personally) have no problem with some of the Leupolds, and all the Schmidt and Benders I've shot with have been great, I've gotten to shoot with the 3-12, 4-16, and the 5-25 all down there at the range. (I don't own an S&B though) and readily admit that I have no need (note I didn't say want (grin)) for one. With my ho-hum shooting ability I'm better off putting $1500 worth of bullets downrange than I am using that $1500 to upgrade my Mark4 or NF.

It's VERY easy to just read through posts and get sucked in to buying "stuff" that one really doesn't need....and that can go for more than just Glass. It's a little easier for an individual, and makes much more sense, to try things out for yourself and glean from that experience what is needed for what you want to do. It's hard for a guy who owns ONE high end scope to be critical of it when he's spent his hard earned dollars on that ONE scope. No individual wants to shell out big bucks for an item and then admit to themselves that it may not be what they need. No, they'll tell you that it's the best thing ever.

Anyway....I'll be down at Young's shooting again on friday or saturday, whichever day is supposed to have the highest winds.
smile.gif

I don't have nearly the stuff that Rich has.
frown.gif

The original question was whether the 22x is worth it and how much the extra magnification helps over 15x. The answer is that magnification is overrated and emphasis on it misguided.

Brad shoots enough that he can borrow someone else's rifle, and after a few sighters diagnose a minor problem and start waxing 2 MOA steel with it. That, in my opinion, is a skill worth having, and one which any soldier or hunter could use to his benefit. But to be able to do that takes what pilots and racers call 'seat time'; what shooters call 'trigger time' - time spent training instead of blasting the berm.

I have the 5.5-22 and love it. I usually shoot at 10x to 12x but I crank it up to see if I'm on target at the longer ranges. I know, I know.......it's doubling as a spotting scope. PAT.

I've got both & I'd go with the 22x for reasons already stated above.
Remember, a 5.5-22X w/NP-R1 pretty much becomes an NP-R2 on 11X mag power. Run it on 11X if conditions are not ideal for max mag usage. I'd feel somewhat slighted doing the same on 7.5X though...

How much you rely on your reticle for ranging & holds surely factors heavily into the equation. If you laser & dial, then the 22X is a no brainer...

This sounds like good advice and halving the magnification to preserve ranging capability is very interesting. I'll have to look into that some, maybe with some graph paper.

I've been kicking around this same question as well. Thank you.