• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 2.5-10 vs 2.5-20

xRangerx

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Does anyone have both of these? Or experience with both? I was leaning towards the 2.5-10 for a 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifle, but with the 2.5-20 out is it worth the 7oz or so extra for that? I’m gathering the 2.5-10 is probably easier to get behind with a more forgiving eyebox, but just wanted to see what the crowd says.

I was considering the 2.5-10 but I ended up getting a 3.5-15 because I didn't want to not have enough magnification. This was my first Nightforce and I saved for a long time before buying. After hunting with it (a 22" Sendero contour 6.5 Creedmoor in a McM Classic) for almost 2 years, I'd get the 2.5-10 if could do it over again and save that extra 10oz.

I hunt soybean fields and for many years I used an M70 30-06 with a Leupold FX-II 6x36 with an M1 elevation turret. Pretty simple set-up but very effective 400 yards and in. I think I just got caught up in the allure of higher magnification. I'm sure it has its place, but for hunting whitetails, a 2.5-10 would be right in the sweet spot.

Reactions: xRangerx
What terrain will you be hunting mostly. What area of the country?

Personally, I use 1-4 and 2.5-10 but a long shot in the woods in TN is 200 yards. Almost all of my whitetail have been shot inside 40 yards, half inside 20.

What terrain will you be hunting mostly. What area of the country?

Personally, I use 1-4 and 2.5-10 but a long shot in the woods in TN is 200 yards. Almost all of my whitetail have been shot inside 40 yards, half inside 20.

I live in SW WA but will hunt both sides of the state. Figure 500yds and in on animals and farther on steel and paper

For me, 10x works to 500 yards if I have a good, clear target and a steady rest (Think KD range on painted swingers) 600 would be my absolute limit with 10x on a live target and the day would have to be perfect. First and last light, no way.. I'd have to be closer. Even at 3x it would be too dark for me.

On steel and paper, 10x is fine to 1k depending on the target size and reticle thickness. You'll probably fine yourself wanting a little more magnification target shooting in a static range.

Tough choice. The 2.5-10 compacts are awesome scopes. I have a couple and love them. Depending on how much time I was going to be handling the rifle (stalking in after lunch, etc) or in a tree stand would guide my choice. 7 oz slung is almost nothing and in the hand it could be overcome with light weight rings, a carbon or less dense wooden stock, aluminum floorplate, blind mag, etc.

Only NF I own is the 2.5-10x42 compact and like it a-lot.If 10x is enough for you it is a great little scope.If you need 15x take a look at TT315M it is as good as it gets at 15X.

I just picked up an nx8 for hunting and steel shooting. It’s more scope than I need for hunting but knowing that if I have to dial, it’ll be good is worth it to me. I can shoot steel to 1200 yards and I like the extra mag. The weather is going to suck this weekend so I don’t know if I’ll make it to the range but should have a hunting report by feb and range report. Balance is pretty good so the weight isn’t too bad. I think I’m going to like it for what it is.