• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 2.5-10X24, Need Input- FC2 or NP1 reticle?

nickw

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Western MA
I've have the opportunity to pick up a NF 2.5-10X24 zero stop, .25 moa elevation, at a very good price. Choice of NP1 or FC2 reticle. As I can't look at the reticle/optic, I was hoping someone here may have had the chance to use both reticles and could give me their impression. Optic will go on a GAP AR10, 18" bbl. Thus is a utility rifle that will be primarily shot out to 300 yards. Thinking the FC2. Little faster at closer distance. The 1.5 moa center dot will cover 4.5" @ 300, so a 6" plate shouldn't be a problem. That said, the NP1 reticle would allow for more precision and would allow me to use the optic more effectively beyond 300. Having not shot either reticle, this is just a wag on my part.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

Re: NF 2.5-10X24, Need Input- FC2 or NP1 reticle?

I use the NP-R2 on a different model NF and I love it. I think the FC2 reticule is just not for me. With the ability for presicion shooting with the NP style reticules and the quality of that scope, that would be my choice. Take advantage of the accuracy of the great rifle and scope!

I second that I have an NP-R2 on one and a mildot on another, my next will be MLR though. But thats for rangeing as far as normal range use the MOA reticles are my perference.

FC2 is very flexible, if you've a mind to see past the non-traditional pattern and grasp the potential.

The Illuminated circle is Very Fast when used Bindon Aiming Concept BAC style. Then you have the 12/3/6/9 5moa spacing on the circle and other crosshair.

Probably not the choice for the benchrester who wants precise, thread the buttonhole delivery, but... consider top of circle zero at 30yds, center dot for Battle Sight Zero from 250 to 400 and bottom crosshair way out beyond. Plus you have the stops on your turret so dial away when you have time.

Study the reticle spacing parameters on the website or booklet and you may see the potentials of the FC2

I love my FC2, but it is on the 1-4X model. I think the 2 MOA center dot would be a hinderance to true precision shooting. This is a scope made for fast close-in work.

Great thread - was pondering the same to top off my P308.
Have decided to go with the FC2 on the 2.5-10x24 w/ zero stop (target adjustment knobs come standard with the stop)
Utility stick for 300 yds and in banging 6 - 8 inch plates. When I want a laser I'll break out the GAP built Nesika.
Thanks for the additional info..........

I had a NF 3-15 W/ the NP-R2. I kept losing the reticle. My brother checked it out and had the same prob. I haven't read about others experiencing this. I checked out the 2.5-10 w/ the FC2 at a shop the other day. You aren't going to lose that sucker. I think it would be a pretty sweet setup for an AR-10, although the center dot could be a smidge smaller. Post some pics when you get er mounted.

Where are you getting the deal?

I have one coming with the fc-2 for my beowulf, I can not wait!!!

FC-2 is the way to go for targets under 500 yards. I have it in my 1-4 and really like it. I bought my 2.5-10 with an Np-R2 and I like it, but reticle is too fine for fast action work and against brush in the day light. +1 for the FC-2. I bought my last one from Alex at euro optics, great guy, great deal.

What do you guys intend to use yours for? The FC2 would be great for 3-gun, but I don't see it as a precision scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AyeGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys intend to use yours for? The FC2 would be great for 3-gun, but I don't see it as a precision scope. </div></div>

I have the FC-2 in my 1-4. I shoot 3 gun with it, but shoot mostly steel with it. It has the 2moa dot in the middle of it which is great for most combat/hunting applications. 2moa does seem large, but once you get out to 300-500 range I am holding between the 2moa dot and the 5moa post. With 77smk's or 175smk's it works out to provide holds on the reticle out to 600 yards. Works like a charm...

Do you usually shoot with the reticle illuminated, fockell?

I have the NP-1 and love it. I've made 4 deer kills from 504 down to 100. Not sure what application you will be using it for but it's simple to aquire your target And has a 4 moa post if needed. Illumination works great once you set the brightness. I can post a pic of the reticle illuminated if that will help in your decision.

Thanks everyone for your input. It did not occur to me to use the 5 moa spacing in the FC2 for hold overs/unders. This deserves a second look. My thought was the NP1 made more sense on a AR10, but as was said, I can pull out the bolt gun if I need real precision.

Anyone that can post reticle pics, it would be appreciated.
Best,
Nick

NP-1 gets my vote. It is precise enough for holding on relatively small targets out to 600yds, yet bold enough to be picked up against the brush, or moving targets. At distance, you'll need to dial for any wind, same as you would the NP-R2, with its 5MOA horizontal subtensions @ 10X...

Just put another 2.5-10x24 Compact on my new .17Predator
smile.gif

17Predator020jpg.jpg

Thanks for all the help on this. I decided on the FC2 reticle, mainly for the hold-over potential. Ran some different loads through Ballistic FTE and the 5moa spacing works real well. Reticle is more flexible than the NP1 in this regard as the NP1 only has a 4moa hold over available. Again, most of my shooting will be 300 and in, so I think the FC2 will do the trick. I'll post some pics and thoughts when I get it mounted and to the range.

Merry Christmas,
Nick