• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 2.5-10x24 vs 1-X?

xRangerx

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
I am looking for an optic to round out a 13.9” build. I’m going with a variable optic and am stuck. I like the concept of a 2.5-10x24 and will be putting an offset red dot on it so the 2.5x low end shouldn’t be too much of a down side.

I had an NX8 and liked everything but the reticle/dot size. I’m also considering the MK6 and maybe vortex.

just wondering your guys thoughts?

I'm running close to the same set up, a NF 2.5-10X24 with offset irons on my 16" recce and I really like the set up. That being said, if I could afford it I'd drop the 2.5-10 for the Vortex 1-10 in a heartbeat.

I use the 2.5-10 x24 with offsett RMR. I cant justify the vortex 1-10 as I dont like playing with the power ring and use the RMR to find the target and snap back onto the scope because i find it faster.

I have two rifles I'm doing exactly this on.

One of my LMT MWS's wears a NF 2.5-10x32 w/ offset HS403R (T2 ripoff)
My SPR LMT MRP16" wears a 2.5-10x24 and that I also plan to offset a HS403R on

It's nice to have the ability to dial for a rifle that (could) be used at extended ranges. While I do have the ability to dial with my Mk6's their CMR-W reticles and the 6x top end doesn't lend itself perfectly for precision fire. The capped turrets of the G3 Razor excludes it from being a perfect solution as well.

Now if the G3 had mk6 .1mil turrets........

I use the 2.5-10 x24 with offsett RMR. I cant justify the vortex 1-10 as I dont like playing with the power ring and use the RMR to find the target and snap back onto the scope because i find it faster.

Since you already have the 2.5-10x24 it makes sense.

However, if you were looking to by one now, would you still go with the 2.5-10x24? I think I see new ones sell in the $1750 range, versus the $2000 or so for the Razor Gen3?

ILya

Reactions: xRangerx
Since you already have the 2.5-10x24 it makes sense.

However, if you were looking to by one now, would you still go with the 2.5-10x24? I think I see new ones sell in the $1750 range, versus the $2000 or so for the Razor Gen3?

ILya

Hard to say because I would by a 1-8 ATACR first.. I dont buy unkown scopes unless I test them first, they have a great track record, I can see the enviromental testing results or reccommended by someone i trust.
I do like the fact the 1-10 is FFP.
My 2.5-10x24 is one of the original ones around 15 years old and well used and abused including blast damage. Had it refurbished recently including swapping the capped turrets for MIL knobs. Nightforce has great people working there.

But I get where you're coming from.

Last edited:
I have two rifles I'm doing exactly this on.

One of my LMT MWS's wears a NF 2.5-10x32 w/ offset HS403R (T2 ripoff)
My SPR LMT MRP16" wears a 2.5-10x24 and that I also plan to offset a HS403R on

It's nice to have the ability to dial for a rifle that (could) be used at extended ranges. While I do have the ability to dial with my Mk6's their CMR-W reticles and the 6x top end doesn't lend itself perfectly for precision fire. The capped turrets of the G3 Razor excludes it from being a perfect solution as well.

I will have March 1-10x24 FFP to look at in a couple of days. It has an exposed elevation turret, dual focal plane reticle and side focus.

It might be the most flexible LPVO out there. I'll know soon how it stacks up.

ILya

Hard to say because I would by a 1-8 ATACR first.. I dont buy unkown scopes unless I test them first, they have a great track record, I can see the enviromental testing results or reccommended by someone i trust.
I do like the fact the 1-10 is FFP.
My 2.5-10x24 is one of the original ones around 15 years old and well used and abused including blast damage. Had it refurbished recently including swapping the capped turrets for MIL knobs. Nightforce has great people working there.

But I get where you're coming from.

I have been trying to convince someone to make me a compact FFP DMR type scope for years, but no luck so far. Both of NF's 2.5-10x24 and 2.5-10x32 are good scopes conceptually, but the world moves on and with modern technology it is very possible to make a compact high quality FFP scope.

US Optics sent me a TS-12 to play with. It is a Chinese made FFP 3-12x44 that is suprisingly decent give how short the bloody thing is.

Honestly, I would probably like this scope even more as a lighter 3-12x32 with reticle illumination and it could be made even shorter with a smaller objective.

ILya

Yes,
a 2.5-12 x24 FFP compact scope would be tits.

See if you can convince you buddies at Nightforce to make one.

I've been harassing just about everyone else about making something like this for years and noone thinks there is a market for it.

The way it is going, I will have to start a scope company and make one myself if I want a proper SPR scope.

ILya

See if you can convince you buddies at Nightforce to make one.

I've been harassing just about everyone else about making something like this for years and noone thinks there is a market for it.

The way it is going, I will have to start a scope company and make one myself if I want a proper SPR scope.

ILya

I'll talk to a few companies and see what i can do. If it looks positive ill give you a call to help spec it.

In the end it's personal preference / need based.

I have both; 14.5" w/NXS 2.5-10x24 & RMR and two others with NX8s.

If shit went sideways I would likely take the NXS/RMR combo because I think in general more magnification will be useful; that being said the two rifles with NX8s would be fine too.

I personally don’t want a 2-10 to be FFP. If I’m complementing that optic with a rds anything less than 10x will honestly be a point & shoot scenario. It’s highly unlikely the reticle will even be practically useable under 4x.

Anything above 10x I’d consider it.

I personally don’t want a 2-10 to be FFP. If I’m complementing that optic with a rds anything less than 10x will honestly be a point & shoot scenario. It’s highly unlikely the reticle will even be practically useable under 4x.
I am more in the "I don't need stuff <10X to be FFP - well executed reticle in FFP or SFP is fine either way".

It really depends on the reticle design - I've seen some 2.5-10x FFPs where the reticle is either useless at 2.5 or too thick at 10x. But the NX8 1-8x works great across the mag spectrum (yeah yeah, some will complain about the center dot but plenty are fine with it and otherwise it is good at 1x illum or not all the way through 8x).

In a 2.5-10x, 99% of the time longer range shots are at 10x nearly by default and shots <10x are inside of a couple hundred where it's essentially POA=POI within +/- a couple of inches.

Competitors / Professionals needing ring the gongs or make pink mist >400 with speed and precision; yeah I can see whey you'd want FFP on optics.

I currently have a PST 2.5-10 FFP with an offset red dot and thinking about replacing that with the Razor 1-10.
I have heard @koshkin discuss in his videos where an LPVO works best and when they don't. But I don't recall the specifics.
What factors make an LPVO the better way to go?

The more I read, the more I’m unsure haha. If I can find a 2.5-10x24 soon I will probably pick it up if it’s a reasonable price. If not, a 1-6 or 1-8 will work I think

The x24 in its day was one of the finest optics on the planet. That time has passed. Unless you are cloning, there are much better options out there.

You could get a new Gen 3 razor for what one will sell to the clone crowd.

It does have .1mil turrets

I have been trying to convince someone to make me a compact FFP DMR type scope for years, but no luck so far. Both of NF's 2.5-10x24 and 2.5-10x32 are good scopes conceptually, but the world moves on and with modern technology it is very possible to make a compact high quality FFP scope.

US Optics sent me a TS-12 to play with. It is a Chinese made FFP 3-12x44 that is suprisingly decent give how short the bloody thing is.

Honestly, I would probably like this scope even more as a lighter 3-12x32 with reticle illumination and it could be made even shorter with a smaller objective.

ILya

Would it help if we started a petition? I have to imagine a scope like that would be a huge success.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Kahles 1-6 or 1-8 with 3gr reticle. Great scopes!

I’d definitely be in for a 2.5-10x32 FFP, mil/mil, exposed elevation, capped windage, illumination, zero stop, scope weighing under 18oz.

I keep saying this yearly it seems but everything that comes out is either a heavier lpvo or a high mag, heavy weight optic. Vortex was close with the PST gen 2, but its a bit heavy for what I’m envisioning.

I’d definitely be in for a 2.5-10x32 FFP, mil/mil, exposed elevation, capped windage, illumination, zero stop, scope weighing under 18oz.

I keep saying this yearly it seems but everything that comes out is either a heavier lpvo or a high mag, heavy weight optic. Vortex was close with the PST gen 2, but its a bit heavy for what I’m envisioning.
The Vortex Razor LHT in FFP with the EBR-7C reticle would hit the spot.

Yeah, I had high hopes for that optic. Closest optic I can get to what I want is the SWFA 3-9. Good optic, from my previous experience with one.

i have the 2.5-10x24 and the atacr 1-8 .. i like the 2.5-10 way more. Better reticle, 10x. I find i dont benefit from 1x.

I ended up finding an older 2.5-10x24 with capped turrets and an NPR2 reticle. Going to try it out for a bit and then go from there

Reactions: craigos
How did the NF 2.5-10x24 work for you? I'm not a fan of the new trend of heavy optics.

NX8 and NXS are different animals.

I do not see the need for an offset RDS or buis with 2.5 thru 4x, maybe if you’re really clearing buildings. Otherwise it’s a waste of weight and money, maybe even then, in a room without a hostage it’s point and shoot.

i have the ATACR 1-8 and the NXS 2.5-10 ... i prefer the latter .. the horse shoe reticle in the 1-8 is too thick

If you are shooting smaller targets past 300m, you're going to really want adjustable parallax.

The March 1-10x looks like the real deal with parallax control . The total package. All they need to do is give it a TREE reticle option and it's done. Holds out to 300 and dial after that. Perfect for an 18-in 5.56 or SR-25...