• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 2.5-10X42 any other options?

blindspotter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
Looking for competitors to it, needs to be a similar size and weight, with parallax and illumination. Lowest mag needs to be 3 or less. Anything out there, and if there isn't why? Price is no object.

Do you specifically want a second focal plane scope?

If you can find one, there's the March 2.5-25s, but they are 22oz.

Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50, which are 28oz.

Pretty sure everything else will be heavier and bigger, or lack the parallax adjustment.

That's what I've found as well, it's odd to me that nobody else is making a true competitor.

Bushnell LRHS or LRTS 3-12x44.

Honestly I would take one of those over the NF. Better reticles, FFP.

ETA: crazy low price:

That's what I've found as well, it's odd to me that nobody else is making a true competitor.

From everything I've seen, if people spend this kind of money, they usually get higher magnification. Also, there are lots of 3-9x and 4-12x scopes for a lot less money.

One of the biggest selling point of the NF for many is that it's made in the US.

The NightForce NXS 2.5-10x42 model has always struck me as what the Leupold Mk 4 LR/T
3.5-10x40 should have evolved into if Leupold did not have their heads up their collective
backside all of those years. Have any of the NXS 2.5-10x42 models ever been seen in combat
like the older NXS 2.5-10x24/32 models?

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Vortex PST Gen 1 2.5-10x44. I know it’s not even in the same class as the NF in terms of durability and quality, and they are getting hard to find cause they stopped making them. So, if it does break Vortex will just send you a newer heavier version. But for the money. They are pretty darn good little scopes.

Edit: With all that being said. I still would rather have the NF NXS 2.5-10.

Looking for competitors to it, needs to be a similar size and weight, with parallax and illumination. Lowest mag needs to be 3 or less. Anything out there, and if there isn't why? Price is no object.

The closest on the high end is March with their 3-24x FFP and 2.5-25x SFP models. They are available with 42mm and 52mm objectives. I have a 3-24x52 and like it a fair bit. If price is no object, this should be at the top of your list.

Burris XTR II 2-10x42 is the closest conceptually, but a bit heavier. Less expensive though.

Same for Bushnell LRTSi 3-12x44.

Tangent Theta 3-15x50 TT315M is also a bit heavier.

ILya

I have one riding on my AR 10 308. I love that little scope. Fits a nice niche for me, and i have always been surprised there isn't more competition for it. I wish nightforce would update it or make a similar atacr, but the direction they are going with the nx8 line doesn't give me hope.

I have an optics database, so I punched some filters in:
* Min mag <= 3
* Max mag >= 9
* Length <= 13" (NF 2.5-10 is 11.9")
* Weight <= 25 oz (NF 2.5-10 is 20.5 oz)
* Street price >= $500

I made this list just for you (see link for reticles, links to brand product pages, etc.):
https://sageratsafaris.com/2019/10/06/rifle-scopes-comparable-to-the-nightforce-nxs-2-5-10x42/

BrandProductPriceFocalMinMagMaxMaginoz
MarchFFP 3-24x42
3000​
FFP
3​
24​
LeupoldMark 6 3-18x44
2500​
FFP
3​
18​
MarchSFP 1-10x24
2500​
SFP
1​
10​
MarchSFP 2.5-25x42
2500​
SFP
2.5​
25​
NightForceNXS 2.5-10x42
2000​
SFP
2.5​
10​
NightForceSHV 3-10x42
1000​
SFP
3​
10​
VortexViper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP
1000​
FFP
2.5​
10​
Primary ArmsGLx4 2.5-10x44 FFP
750​
FFP
2.5​
10​
AtibalNomad 3-12x44
500​
SFP
3​
12​

The real limiting factor is adjustable parallax on a low power scope, because they already have such deep depth of focus. If you were OK with fixed parallax, there would be a whole bunch more choices.

March has/had several offerings that fit your criteria, but March is shutting down. You can still find some existing inventory online or directly from March, but you can custom order a scope from DEON Optical of Japan (March's supplier) via LongRangeSupply.com.

If price is no object, I'd be looking at the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 (11.9 inches, 23.6 oz).

Once you pick a scope you want, call a Hide vendor, they can give the best prices (and advice) over the phone!

* Min mag <= 3
* Max mag >= 9
* Street price >= $500

I made this list just for you (see link for reticles, links to brand product pages, etc.):
https://sageratsafaris.com/2019/10/06/rifle-scopes-comparable-to-the-nightforce-nxs-2-5-10x42/

MarchFFP 3-24x42
3000​
FFP
3​
24​
LeupoldMark 6 3-18x44
2500​
FFP
3​
18​
MarchSFP 1-10x24
2500​
SFP
1​
10​
MarchSFP 2.5-25x42
2500​
SFP
2.5​
25​
NightForceNXS 2.5-10x42
2000​
SFP
2.5​
10​
NightForceSHV 3-10x42
1000​
SFP
3​
10​
1000​
FFP
2.5​
10​
750​
FFP
2.5​
10​
AtibalNomad 3-12x44
500​
SFP
3​
12​

The real limiting factor is adjustable parallax on a low power scope, because they already have such deep depth of focus. If you were OK with fixed parallax, there would be a whole bunch more choices.

March has/had several offerings that fit your criteria, but March is shutting down. You can still find some existing inventory online or directly from March, but you can custom order a scope from DEON Optical of Japan (March's supplier) via LongRangeSupply.com.

If price is no object, I'd be looking at the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 (11.9 inches, 23.6 oz).

Once you pick a scope you want, call a Hide vendor, they can give the best prices (and advice) over the phone!

March is not shutting down. Where did you get that notion?

Shiraz no longer sells them, but they are available through SWFA, Europtics and Longrangesupply.

ILya

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
March is not shutting down. Where did you get that notion?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I confess to trying to read between the lines a bit, because since Shiraz announced his retirement, the whole situation has been a bit fuzzy. Warranty work is now direct with DEON, and the MarchOptics.com homepage seems to be focusing on rings, not scopes (they seem to be closing out their scope inventory).

For example, the March 1-10x24 is listed as:
* "Sold Out" on MarchOptics
* "Backorder" on EuroOptic
* "Discontinued by Manufacturer" on OpticsPlanet

I guess it's more accurate to say MarchOptics.com is no longer importing inventory, but the March line of DEON scopes continues via LongRangeSupply, EuroOptics and SWFA?

It's too bad that MarchOptics.com doesn't seem to have a straightforward explanation of the situation.

Um. What about the Nf 2.5-20. Maybe a little heavier but that mag range and good glass/durability

Small too.
image.jpg

Reactions: stello1001
Bushnell lrts 3-12 is a few ounces heavier but an excellent scope and caneraland's prices make it one of the best values in optics that you'll ever find.

Bushnell LRHS or LRTS 3-12x44.

Honestly I would take one of those over the NF. Better reticles, FFP.

ETA: crazy low price:

Anyone actually seen any 3-12 LRHS for sale though recently? Understand they are discontinued but seems to be pretty dry even used. LRTS is available but I actually like the capped windage of the LRHS.

Anyone actually seen any 3-12 LRHS for sale though recently? Understand they are discontinued but seems to be pretty dry even used. LRTS is available but I actually like the capped windage of the LRHS.

PM inbound...

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I confess to trying to read between the lines a bit, because since Shiraz announced his retirement, the whole situation has been a bit fuzzy. Warranty work is now direct with DEON, and the MarchOptics.com homepage seems to be focusing on rings, not scopes (they seem to be closing out their scope inventory).

For example, the March 1-10x24 is listed as:
* "Sold Out" on MarchOptics
* "Backorder" on EuroOptic
* "Discontinued by Manufacturer" on OpticsPlanet

I guess it's more accurate to say MarchOptics.com is no longer importing inventory, but the March line of DEON scopes continues via LongRangeSupply, EuroOptics and SWFA?

It's too bad that MarchOptics.com doesn't seem to have a straightforward explanation of the situation.

Deon is alive and well and working on expanding their presence in the US market. They are doing quite well in UK and Australia.

The three major dealers they signed up in the US are just starting out with March, so it will take a little time to get everything lined up.

I am friendly with March's UK and Australian distributors, so when the whole business with Shiraz was happening, I reached out to them in order to figure out what gives.

ILya

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
* Min mag <= 3
* Max mag >= 9
* Street price >= $500

MarchFFP 3-24x42
3000​
FFP
3​
24​
LeupoldMark 6 3-18x44
2500​
FFP
3​
18​
MarchSFP 1-10x24
2500​
SFP
1​
10​
MarchSFP 2.5-25x42
2500​
SFP
2.5​
25​
NightForceNXS 2.5-10x42
2000​
SFP
2.5​
10​
NightForceSHV 3-10x42
1000​
SFP
3​
10​
1000​
FFP
2.5​
10​
750​
FFP
2.5​
10​
AtibalNomad 3-12x44
500​
SFP
3​
12​

I really appreciate all the input, could I ask for clarification on the bolded part? I don't pretend to know but I remember reading somewhere that parallax error is actually more impactful on lower mag, but I could be misremembering. Even though I don't require a high magnification scope I still want to shoot as accurately as possible which is why I wanted parallax adjustment. If it's not actually necessary please let me know.

I really appreciate all the input, could I ask for clarification on the bolded part? I don't pretend to know but I remember reading somewhere that parallax error is actually more impactful on lower mag, but I could be misremembering. Even though I don't require a high magnification scope I still want to shoot as accurately as possible which is why I wanted parallax adjustment. If it's not actually necessary please let me know.

I hope more knowledgeable users can chime in on this, because I'm not an expert, and parallax error is a technical onion.

Three primary factors affect the magnitude of parallax error:

(1) Magnification. Higher magnification amplifies parallax error. Low power scopes inherently have less parallax error.

(2) Difference between the scope's parallax distance and the actual distance to the target. Because low power scopes aren't used for long range shooting, the difference between the parallax distance and actual target distance is typically smaller. Parallax adjustment is more desirable under 25 yards or over 300 yards.

(3) The degree to which your eyeball is not lined up with the scope's optical axis.

So, because low power scopes inherently have less parallax error, and they aren't typically used at long range, there's less benefit to having adjustable parallax.

If you are always going to be shooting at 100 yards (or whatever the fixed parallax distance is), there's no benefit to adjustable parallax. Most fixed parallax scopes are optimized for 100 yards/meters. Leupold scopes with fixed parallax are set to 150 yards (their custom shop may be able to alter that?). Scopes with "Rimfire" in their name are typically set to 50 yards/meters, "Muzzleloader" at 75, "Crossbow" at 20-30.

I hope more knowledgeable users can chime in on this, because I'm not an expert, and parallax error is a technical onion.

Three primary factors affect the magnitude of parallax error:

(1) Magnification. Higher magnification amplifies parallax error. Low power scopes inherently have less parallax error.

(2) Difference between the scope's parallax distance and the actual distance to the target. Because low power scopes aren't used for long range shooting, the difference between the parallax distance and actual target distance is typically smaller. Parallax adjustment is more desirable under 25 yards or over 300 yards.

(3) The degree to which your eyeball is not lined up with the scope's optical axis.

So, because low power scopes inherently have less parallax error, and they aren't typically used at long range, there's less benefit to having adjustable parallax.

If you are always going to be shooting at 100 yards (or whatever the fixed parallax distance is), there's no benefit to adjustable parallax. Most fixed parallax scopes are optimized for 100 yards/meters. Leupold scopes with fixed parallax are set to 150 yards (their custom shop may be able to alter that?). Scopes with "Rimfire" in their name are typically set to 50 yards/meters, "Muzzleloader" at 75, "Crossbow" at 20-30.

1 is wrong. 2 and 3 are correct.

Ilya

I wanted a "tactical hunting scope" :D

And I drooled over a LOT of great hunting scopes ... zeiss/swarovski etc. but no zero stop ... and since I shoot a lot a night with NV and Thermal clipons ... I want the zero stop.

The parallax adjustment for the NF 2.5-10x MIL-R I have is very tiny at 100yds versus otherwise and in hindsight, is probably optional. But for me, the zero stop is not optional. And a number of the zeiss/swarovski hunting scopes have parallax but not zero stop.

I just assume the market for "tactical hunting scopes" is very minimal .. hence I am a weirdo and hence the NF scope was the only weirdo solution I could find.
:D

And BTW, I love the NF 2.5-10x42 ... it fits into my requirements set very nicely !

I also own the NF 2.5-10x42 and use it on a Kidd SG 10/22 and it is perfect as a field rifle for all kind of critters.I do like the scope.And I agree the zero stop is nice.

1 is wrong. 2 and 3 are correct.

Ilya

I've read that maximum possible parallax error isn't affected by magnification, but that magnification does affect the parallax error for a particular eyeball alignment error (because the exit pupil shrinks with higher magnification). That is, any particular eyeball alignment error moves further toward the edge of the exit pupil as you increase magnification.

I found this explanation with formulas.

But I'm not remotely an optical engineer, so I'd appreciate any insight you can share!

I've read that maximum possible parallax error isn't affected by magnification, but that magnification does affect the parallax error for a particular eyeball alignment error (because the exit pupil shrinks with higher magnification). That is, any particular eyeball alignment error moves further toward the edge of the exit pupil as you increase magnification.

I found this explanation with formulas.

But I'm not remotely an optical engineer, so I'd appreciate any insight you can share!

That is generally accurate, but it does not take into account the size of the eye pupil, which makes a substantial difference in how we incur parallax.

ILya

I had a NF 2.5-10x42 on an MK12 build and I loved it. It was a sweet little package and I only sold it to replace it with the clone correct Leupold. I was extremely pleased with the glass, turrets and size/weight of that little NF.

I wanted a "tactical hunting scope" :D

And I drooled over a LOT of great hunting scopes ... zeiss/swarovski etc. but no zero stop ... and since I shoot a lot a night with NV and Thermal clipons ... I want the zero stop.

The parallax adjustment for the NF 2.5-10x MIL-R I have is very tiny at 100yds versus otherwise and in hindsight, is probably optional. But for me, the zero stop is not optional. And a number of the zeiss/swarovski hunting scopes have parallax but not zero stop.

I just assume the market for "tactical hunting scopes" is very minimal .. hence I am a weirdo and hence the NF scope was the only weirdo solution I could find.
:D

And BTW, I love the NF 2.5-10x42 ... it fits into my requirements set very nicely !
My Zeiss Conquest V4 has a zero stop.

Reactions: wigwamitus
The NF 2.5-10x42 is what I ended up keeping on my SCAR17 after trying a few. Stood up to the SCAR scope breaking reverse recoil fine. Needed to be light weight for such a light weight mostly brush gun and low magnification for shorter quicker shots on pigs but still be able to take it out to 800 since its such a do-all rifle for me. Been really happy with it. Looked at a lot of others but couldnt really find a solid competitor at the time. Been wanting to try on of the March scopes on it though. 'Tactical hunting scope' is exactly what I was after and it does well with light gathering for the dawn/dusk shots without being big and heavy.

Have been looking in this range for awhile, it's hard. Couldn't decide between a 2.5-10 NXS, 3-10 SHV illuminated (to ditch the parallax adjustment), LRTS 3-12 for $699, SHV 4-14F1, and the various Leupold options.

Solution was to poke around the used section on the hide to put myself out of misery today. Now have a Kahles k312i incoming for my 7 rem mag X-Bolt.

My Zeiss Conquest V4 has a zero stop.

Looking at these !! Not sure how I missed them ... the main "issue" is I've never had a MOA/MOA scope and these are those. All my stuff is MIL/MIL. But could I fit in a MOA/MOA ? If I pretend it is an IPHY/IPHY I might be able to make it work. I do a lot of iphy/MIL conversions in my head already ... so if I can make iphy work I might be able to fit it in, but need to think thru all the processes and see if I find any issues. But otherwise, these scopes look like they fit the bill !!

Looking at these !! Not sure how I missed them ... the main "issue" is I've never had a MOA/MOA scope and these are those. All my stuff is MIL/MIL. But could I fit in a MOA/MOA ? If I pretend it is an IPHY/IPHY I might be able to make it work. I do a lot of iphy/MIL conversions in my head already ...

Close enough imo, but I'd still just build a profile for it and borrow a label printer from work to print out an idiot chart I could stick on the objective.

Curious why you wouldn't just want the Nightforce?? The only con is the 5-MIL elevation knob and maybe also the reticle options for some.

The Leupold Mark 5 (3.6-18x44) is a sweet little scope. Illumination on the TMR reticle is great and has a center dot whcih isn't available on the regular TMR. Same length and close in weight but just a bit fatter than the NF due to the 35mm tube.

US Optics makes a fixed 10X and a 1.8-10x40. I have only looked through the variable and it had very nice glass. At 29ozs it's a bit heavier than the NF.

The only other option I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already is to find one of the old Mark 4 models in 2.5-8x36, 3.5-10x42 or 4.5-14-50. They have 30mm tubes like the NF and just as light or even lighter.

* Min mag <= 3
* Max mag >= 9
* Street price >= $500

Is this a dealer database or an open source database? If open source, I'd love to use it.

Is this a dealer database or an open source database? If open source, I'd love to use it.

It's just a hobby thing for me, but it's online for you to browse. If you want a list of optics that meet particular filters, just let me know, I'm happy to take requests.

Brand index (all optics for each brand)

Some of the more popular sub-groups:

All FFP long range scopes

All LPVOs

All reflex sights and prism scopes

If you find a scope you want to purchase, call a Hide vendor, they can give their best prices over the phone.

Reactions: prwillard2
Leica Fortis 6
2-12x50i

Leica has better glass than the NXS, but that 50mm lens is a deal breaker for me.