• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF 3.5-15x50 or 5.5-22x50

Jcremer24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
Hi all,

Considering changing my optics for a 6.5 CM build. Currently have a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x50 that I was going to slap on 6.5CM. Considering purchasing a 5.5-22x50. Main uses are/will be PRS and some hunting too. Hoping to find something that can be a compromise for both. I probably wouldnt get out more than 1200 yds in my area (and that is pushing it). Is it worth switching to the larger magnification?

Last edited:
First focal plane versus the second is certainly a consideration, particularly for hunting. I prefer second for hunting, particularly with a busy reticle.

I am definitely in the more is better camp, but for hunting, the field of view is the deal breaker which means lower magnification.

The old rule of thumb used to be 1x per 100 yards.

First focal plane versus the second is certainly a consideration, particularly for hunting. I prefer second for hunting, particularly with a busy reticle.

I am definitely in the more is better camp, but for hunting, the field of view is the deal breaker which means lower magnification.

The old rule of thumb used to be 1x per 100 yards.
It is a SFP scope

If you want to stay with Nightforce and compete in PRS then you need an ATACR F1 model or an NX8 model that is First Focal Plane. Mil-C reticle would be my choice but many like the Mil-XT as well.

Best Nightforce option for PRS is the ATACR F1 7-35x56.

Reactions: Jcremer24
If you want to stay with Nightforce and compete in PRS then you need an ATACR F1 model or an NX8 model that is First Focal Plane. Mil-C reticle would be my choice but many like the Mil-XT as well.

Best Nightforce option for PRS is the ATACR F1 7-35x56.
Good advice for PRS no doubt but you really need to see either of those reticles on 7x power. I find them useless for hunting.

The other consideration is the last number in the series. 56 offers better low light visibility than any lower number but adds weight.

See the second response to your questions. This is very much horses for courses. These trade-offs will dictate which is best for your applications.

Good luck.

Reactions: Jcremer24
Main uses are/will be PRS and some hunting too. Hoping to find something that can be a compromise for both. I probably wouldnt get out more than 1200 yds in my area (and that is pushing it).
For PRS, you'll likely just leave it at 15x max magnification and leave it there most of the time, so SFP isn't too big an issue unless you're in contention for placing and it matters to you. You can always dial down the X, but know if the background is able to show your misses (dusty, dirt, no foliage), your "ruler" will be off at all magnifications except max/15. So you may drop a point or more in a match. Doubt it'll change your placing much in the overall of the match.

Save your $ for ammo, gas, and match fees.

If you're using the scope for hunting, FFP scopes will have unacceptably small crosshairs at the low magnification/close range you would likely use it at.

Your NXS is already a very reliable and known quantity scope. If you're okay with it for what you do, stick with it and just shoot more often.

If you feel like getting a FFP scope dedicated for PRS (aka just want a new scope), I'd rec a Razor G3 6-36x MRAD. And use your current one for hunting.

My current primary scope is an ATACR, so I'm familiar with NF, I just think the RG3 is the better value for that purpose.