• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 3.5x15x50 F1 Not impressed

AED146

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2011
Baytown, Texas
Well i bought the NF F1 3.5x15x50 and im not impressed i wish i would have got the the SB 3x20 for the following reasons:

the Clarity is rigid at times and the cross hair is some what hard to make out in low light may be to thin. The tracking is good. I wish there was a smaller sun shade for the 3x15x50. Just my thoughts...

Re: NF 3.5x15x50 F1 Not impressed

Well, I hope you didn't buy it with expectations to be as good as the Schmidt. The price range is there for a reason, and while the F1 is a great optic, it's not going to be as "luxurious" as a Schmidt.

An SB it is not, but it's still a great optic. There is also a big price diff between the two as well.

I think the NF is the best for the money out there. The S&B is an extra grand

I also had the same fuzzy crosshairs at low light. I adjusted the parallax like crazy trying to make it better but no real luck fixing it.

Adjust the diopter focus on your scope, if you've read the owners manual you will know how to do this.

It will focus the reticle!!!

I've had to do this with most of my Nightforce scopes to suit my eyes

This may be your problem

I think he may be referring to the reticle contrast which is a nature of design compromise. In order to not have a reticle that is too thick in certain focal length front focal plane optical designs, contrast has to be reduced. Meaning it has sort of an orangish transluscency to it instead of a deep black.

The key here is to focus the diopter so that the reticle is clear and in focus.

AED - send that hunk of crap NF to me for disposal. It'll be a $2100 lesson for you to buy the most expensive scope out there so you'll be impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AED - send that hunk of crap NF to me for disposal. It'll be a $2100 lesson for you to buy the most expensive scope out there so you'll be impressed. </div></div>

Most expensive for a reason, as many will attest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adjust the diopter focus on your scope, if you've read the owners manual you will know how to do this.

It will focus the reticle!!!

I've had to do this with most of my Nightforce scopes to suit my eyes

This may be your problem </div></div>

this was my exact thinking. you can't expect s&b performance out of an nxs,

Exactly as Jay and Kruger said. The F1 is an excellent, reliable scope. It does what it needs, but doesn't have the optical "wow" of an S&B. If only they made a 5.5-22x NXS in the same price point I'd not own any S&Bs. Another improvement would be the ability to change the illumination setting in the field. That would help quite a bit.

I had a problem focusing on my NP-R2 reticle at closer ranges, especially in low light. for 95% of my shooting I never had a problem with an NXS.

SO from all the input i have adjusted the diopter and for now the focus is much better and has improved.

if i decide to sell you will see it up here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AED146</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO from all the input i have adjusted the diopter and for now the focus is much better and has improved.

if i decide to sell you will see it up here </div></div>

Glad you improved on it a bit. I have the same scope and have been really happy with it's quality. But, It's the most expensive glass that I've looked through before. Coming from cheaper scopes, they seem great. I might have to play with the adjustments on mine as well.

I've looked through the SFP NXS and wasn't really impressed myself but have never looked through the F1.

Does the F1 in fact have better glass over the SFP brethren or is it the same but on a different focal plane?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly as Jay and Kruger said. The F1 is an excellent, reliable scope. It does what it needs, but doesn't have the optical "wow" of an S&B. If only they made a 5.5-22x NXS in the same price point I'd not own any S&Bs. Another improvement would be the ability to change the illumination setting in the field. That would help quite a bit.

I had a problem focusing on my NP-R2 reticle at closer ranges, especially in low light. for 95% of my shooting I never had a problem with an NXS. </div></div>

Same here Tyler!

I think not making a 5.5-22F1 was a bad move on NF's part. Imagine how many they would have sold at a similar price to the current! My F1 is the best scope I own but I wish it had more mag. I agree, a new modern illume system would improve the NXS. So would a 10Y parallax BTW.

Also I think what's going to happen is the new "Beast" isn't going to sell as well as they hope. Not many people have upwards of $4000 to spend on a scope nowadays. I know, they want to give S$B and Hen$oldt of run for there money. Fine but give us folks that don't have or don't want to spend that much $ another option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly as Jay and Kruger said. The F1 is an excellent, reliable scope. It does what it needs, but doesn't have the optical "wow" of an S&B. If only they made a 5.5-22x NXS in the same price point I'd not own any S&Bs. Another improvement would be the ability to change the illumination setting in the field. That would help quite a bit.

I had a problem focusing on my NP-R2 reticle at closer ranges, especially in low light. for 95% of my shooting I never had a problem with an NXS. </div></div>

Same here Tyler!

I think not making a 5.5-22F1 was a bad move on NF's part. Imagine how many they would have sold at a similar price to the current! My F1 is the best scope I own but I wish it had more mag. I agree, a new modern illume system would improve the NXS. So would a 10Y parallax BTW.

Also I think what's going to happen is the new "Beast" isn't going to sell as well as they hope. Not many people have upwards of $4000 to spend on a scope nowadays. I know, they want to give S$B and Hen$oldt of run for there money. Fine but give us folks that don't have or don't want to spend that much $ another option.

</div></div>

Are you implying the new Nightforce FFP 5-25 will cost $4K? If so, I will quit dreaming about one and continue my search for a S&B or Premier in moa/moa. I really can't believe they would cost that much!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AED146</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve 123 whats the new "Beast" is that a new NF</div></div>

search it baby!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AED - send that hunk of crap NF to me for disposal. It'll be a $2100 lesson for you to buy the most expensive scope out there so you'll be impressed. </div></div>

haha yea seriously, i will help you get rid of it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly as Jay and Kruger said. The F1 is an excellent, reliable scope. It does what it needs, but doesn't have the optical "wow" of an S&B. If only they made a 5.5-22x NXS in the same price point I'd not own any S&Bs. Another improvement would be the ability to change the illumination setting in the field. That would help quite a bit.

Same here Tyler!

</div></div>

Are you implying the new Nightforce FFP 5-25 will cost $4K? If so, I will quit dreaming about one and continue my search for a S&B or Premier in moa/moa. I really can't believe they would cost that much! </div></div>

That's what I read here on the Hide somewhere. But at this point it's all conjecture on my part until NF come's out with the scope and price.