• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF 4-20x50 or 5-25x56

ltdmstr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2013
ORD
Currently building a new 223 bolt action and trying to decide on a scope for it. I already have a 6.5 w/NF 5-25x56 (Mil-Xt) and thinking of getting a NF 4-20x50 for the 223. Since the 223 probably won't be used beyond 600 and mostly 200-300, I'm thinking the 4-20 would be a good choice. But, seems like reviews on it are mixed. Price of the two is about the same, and although the 5-25 is on backorder at the moment, I'm not going to have the rifle for a couple months anyway. I'm leaning toward the 4-20, but something tells me the 5-25 is the better choice. If someone has both, or has used both, I'd like to hear what you recommend. Thanks.

Why would you get 5x less on top where it can be used? The 5-25 is the easy answer. I have a 5-30x on my .223 bolt gun. You can always dial it down.

Reactions: simonp
Well, I rarely max out the magnification. Usually I'm somewhere between 16-20. Also figured a wider field of view at the low end, plus slightly smaller and lighter (although not sure that really matters). But, having said that, I'm still leaning toward the 5-25. Just wondering if there's a reason to go the other way. Probably not.

1x difference at the bottom means nothing for FOV. You will rarely use that low anyways so why worry about it? You use between 16-20, as a lot of people do, but if needed you dial up to spot or see hits or for a more precise shot. Way more pros for a 5-25 over a 4-20. Your money though.