• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF 5-25 to smaller scope?

BlkZ06

Gas guzzlin' V-8's, and proud of it.
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2013
SC
Looking for a little guidance on a Nightforce scope.

I’ve got 2 rifles with ATACR 5-25 scopes on them, and after a couple months of light hunting in broken timber and out West with possible shots of 800-1100 yards, I’ve decided the scopes are overkill in size. Both rifles are Moon built customs, 1 is .308 and 1 is 300WSM.

I’m thinking of moving to the new ATACR 4-20x50 scope for the 300WSM and possibly a 42mm or similar for the .308 rifle. I’m a big NF fan, so it’s not that I’m unhappy with the performance, it’s that the guns are a bit bulky with the size of the scopes.

I am a bit concerned the FFP of the new 4-20 might be a hindrance in hunting. Maybe there’s something else I should be looking at?

I like the Mk5 HD, and I’ve looked at the March scope options, both are in the wheelhouse of what I’d consider for the rifles. I will preface this by saying I’ve looked at and looked thru the NX8 line and I wasn’t impressed. I prefer to stay with the ATACR if I stay with NF.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: 338dude
I moved from a 25x on my 300 Norma down to an 18x. Really like it better. In my case the 3.3-18 XTR3.

Both the MK5 and the XTR3 are 13" and <29ozs. Very similar optics, both made in the US with Asian glass. Both are very good low light optics. A little better eyebox and FOV on the Burris.

I moved from a 25x on my 300 Norma down to an 18x. Really like it better.

Both the MK5 and the XTR3 are 13" and <29ozs. Very similar optics, both made in the US with Asian glass. Both are very good low light optics. A little better eyebox and FOV on the Burris.
Hey BD…thanks for your reply. I’ve seen you in a lot of the scope threads. I’m having issues finding the Mk5, and the Burris I’m definitely interested in but I’m waiting on the new version to come out. I have a hunt coming up late Feb so it seems outside of another NF I might be waiting till spring to upgrade.

assuming both your current ATACRs are SFP 5-25? I wouldn't see an issue going to FFP but its also personal preference. @WtxMSCL8188 had a great deal on a mk5 3.6-18 with rings on here a few days back if you wanted a mk5 ASAP. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to go 4-16x42 or x50 F1 ATACRS or even the NX8 4-32 due to its size and weight. If you liked the current ATACR reticle the nx8 would also allow you stay with the NF reticle family and keep high end mag for target ID while having a good low end 4x FOV. Lots of options, maybe start with FFP vs SFP and reticle choice and go from there.

Hey BD…thanks for your reply. I’ve seen you in a lot of the scope threads. I’m having issues finding the Mk5, and the Burris I’m definitely interested in but I’m waiting on the new version to come out. I have a hunt coming up late Feb so it seems outside of another NF I might be waiting till spring to upgrade.
Thats probably accurate. The Burris is dropping the Comp version and moving to an illuminated model. So the older model is closing out for cheap everywhere. I've seen it as low as $1200. So its in transition, they have gone into production, I believe they are expecting those to hit this spring. Unlike the rest of the market that is seeing a price increase, I think I heard these are actually going down in price.

I cant speak to the Leupold availibility. Other than to say I know the 18x models sell less than higher magnification models. So they don't see the production numbers.

Hope you find one. Those are both great options.

Reactions: 338dude and BlkZ06
assuming both your current ATACRs are SFP 5-25? I wouldn't see an issue going to FFP but its also personal preference. @WtxMSCL8188 had a great deal on a mk5 3.6-18 with rings on here a few days back if you wanted a mk5 ASAP. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to go 4-16x42 or x50 F1 ATACRS or even the NX8 4-32 due to its size and weight. If you liked the current ATACR reticle the nx8 would also allow you stay with the NF reticle family and keep high end mag for target ID while having a good low end 4x FOV. Lots of options, maybe start with FFP vs SFP and reticle choice and go from there.
Yes both are SFP, and I should correct myself I usually like to have illumination on my scopes so that’s caused the issues finding a Mk5. I’m not a big fan of the glass on the NX8 so it kind of takes it out of the mix for me. I appreciate your feedback.

Is the size or the weight the problem? I'd love to try a 4-20 ATACR. Frustrating that there isn't more feedback on them. The 4-20 is still 35 oz... Same weight as the 5-25 and probably only marginally smaller. The 4-16 ATACR is a good scope, a good bit cheaper than the 4-20, smaller/lighter, wider FOV on the low end, and 16x will probably work for hunting.

But if you get the 4-20, give us some feedback.

Are you sticking with NF or are other brands on the table?

Nightforce, 2nd FP, Illuminated, hunting in broken timber. How about an NXS 2.5-10x42? They're light, the 42 should gather light well, durable and if you can live with a 10x top end the 2.5 might come in real handy. Just a thought.

Im thinking that the ATACR 4-16x42 is a sweet scope. Ive had it in mind for a long time and even had a trade going for one but never followed thruogh. It would make a good match for the 308. If I had gotten it, it would be mounted on my TRG22 and it would be sweet, im sure.
You might want to look at Kahles k318i too, my friend got one last year and its a cool little scope. The classic Schmidt & Bender 3-12 PM2 could also be worth a look?

The S&B Polar T-96 3-12x54 is an insanely good low light scope. My brother has 2 and they are really incredible. I'm would think the 4-16x56 is just as good. He has P4F reticles and the illumination is important because of the fine reticle. A regular P4 would be better but the illumination is important.

Reactions: 338dude and BlkZ06
I really really really like my NX8 4-32. It’s about right in size for a tacticool hunting rifle.

Reactions: BlkZ06
The new illuminated XTR3i is scheduled to release in March.

The 18x should sell around $1000 to $1100 dollars. It's going to be super hard to beat from a value perspective at that price.

I shoot the ATACR line, from 1-8x to 7-35x, for work and competition but for hunting guns I use the NXS 2.5-10x42mm and the NX8 4-32x50mm. IME, most of the negative stuff you hear about the NX8 is blown way out of proportion or just regurgitation of things heard and not seen. I bought one when they first came out after looking at a couple Sean brought to a match for me to look at. Over the next couple months, while waiting on my scope to ship, I wondered if I maybe jumped the gun because all I saw on the internet was people poopooing them; must have been a ton of "field testers." So, when mine showed up I mounted it, zeroed it, and took 3rd at a PRS club match with it because I figured it a great way to test that "tight eye-box, finicky parallax, and substandard glass, etc." I've used it to do well in long range rimfire all the way to Mammoth.

Good gun fitting will get rid of that tight eye-box but I think part of it is guys are used to shooting giant scopes which are more forgiving. I don't find myself messing with parallax that much either unless I'm over 20x and/or under 100yds (I shoot a ton of rimfire). As for glass, it's a sight not an observation instrument: it's good glass but it isn't going to look like a Swaro bino or spotter and doesn't need to. If you haven't had a chance to really look at the NX8 I wouldn't write it off. It isn't an ATACR but it isn't far behind. They did quite a lot with that scope.

The NXS 2.5-10-42x is a nearly perfect hunting scope. I just wish it came with capped windage. Mounting length makes it difficult to put on a long action which is why I originally got the NX8 4-32x (plus I needed one for short distance focus for rimfire).

I remember thinking, "Why?", when the ATACR 4-20x was released so I asked to see one. The "why" was to give more mag and still fit on a KAC gasser with a clip-on which the two big ATACRs can't do. It's good in that role but it's still a 35oz tank that makes a reasonable hunting rifle feel like a Harley hauling firewood. If you really need an ATACR on your hunting rifle I'd go with the 4-16x42.

As for the Mk5, I like them ok but I hate fast focus eye pieces, don't like the elevation turret and, because I shoot an ATACR most of the time, the sight picture looks different to me and I never get used to it. I used the 5-25x at Ko2M where it did fine and I still use a 3.6-18x on small frame gassers because it's short and light but will probably be replaced by the NX8 because I like it better.

Are you sticking with NF or are other brands on the table?
I just returned from my hunt out West and definitely will be dumping the 5-25 ATACR. It’s a great scope, just way too bulky for me. Matter of fact I’ll probably ditch both of the ones I have since I have one each on my LR guns.
My next hunt isn’t for another 6-7 months so I’m still probably going to stick with a smaller NF, or if I hold out I may just take a flyer on the illuminated Burris. I still have the Mk 5 on my radar but just haven’t had the urge to order it and wait 4-6 weeks for it. Almost every NF scope I’ve had an eye on is in stock, so that’s pushed it to the top of the list right now.

Or wait for the ZCO 2-16 coming out
Gotta admit - I'm still confused about this, seeing as Jeff was so adamant in his podcast with Frank (and possibly another I heard) that once you get over 5x erector ratio, you get problems. I specifically remembering him critiquing 8x ratios ... will be interesting to see how they do.

I use . . . the NX8 4-32x50mm. IME, most of the negative stuff you hear about the NX8 is blown way out of proportion or just regurgitation of things heard and not seen. I bought one when they first came out after looking at a couple Sean brought to a match for me to look at. Over the next couple months, while waiting on my scope to ship, I wondered if I maybe jumped the gun because all I saw on the internet was people poopooing them; must have been a ton of "field testers." So, when mine showed up I mounted it, zeroed it, and took 3rd at a PRS club match with it because I figured it a great way to test that "tight eye-box, finicky parallax, and substandard glass, etc." I've used it to do well in long range rimfire all the way to Mammoth.
Did you use the 2.5-20x, or only the 4-32x? The 2.5-20x is the one that has the noticeable compromises and everyone says the 4-32x is good. The only NX8 defenders I ever see are NV Clip-On or 32x users.

OP, 4-16x42 is my primary optic. I tried a NX8 2.5-20x to potentially replace it as I wanted a little more top end. It was not worth it at all, especially when the x42 could be found used for $1800-$1900. I highly recommend the x42 ATACR. Yes, FFP at 4x can be rough in some wood situations if you use the Mil-C or Mil-XT. The Mil-R handles it quite well due to the box you can bracket game with. But I really wouldn't overlook that 2.5-10x42 on at least the 308. SFP takes care of the reticle size issue while giving you a very handy optic on top.

I wish there was more feedback on the 4-20x ATACR out there. I was interested in it when it came out, but just accepted there was no reason to not get the ZCO once you are considering that price range.

Did you use the 2.5-20x, or only the 4-32x? The 2.5-20x is the one that has the noticeable compromises and everyone says the 4-32x is good. The only NX8 defenders I ever see are NV Clip-On or 32x users.
I have used both and prefer the 4-32x but could absolutely get by with a 2.5-20x. I actually use the ATACR line with NVD's, not the NX8.

Reactions: SRPowah
I just returned from my hunt out West and definitely will be dumping the 5-25 ATACR. It’s a great scope, just way too bulky for me. Matter of fact I’ll probably ditch both of the ones I have since I have one each on my LR guns.
My next hunt isn’t for another 6-7 months so I’m still probably going to stick with a smaller NF, or if I hold out I may just take a flyer on the illuminated Burris. I still have the Mk 5 on my radar but just haven’t had the urge to order it and wait 4-6 weeks for it. Almost every NF scope I’ve had an eye on is in stock, so that’s pushed it to the top of the list right now.

Just in case you haven't already been relieved of those two 5-25's that is what I have on my .338L and I'm pretty happy with it after a yr and a half. Could use one for my .50 if you still have one to part with. I realize this thread was dormant for a bit...

Swarovski X5i 3.5x18x56 with 4wxi reticle. Great glass and lowlight capability. 116moa vertical adjustment. Great tracking and customer service.