• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF ATACR 4-16x42 for .22

BigTex

Dr. Dickweed
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2013
    I'm currently looking to buy a scope for the CZ457 I ordered today. I have seen the Athlon Midas TAC and it looks enticing but I have always been a buy once, cry once guy, especially for glass. I regret almost every piece of budget (vortex viper PST) glass that I own, and don't want to do that again. I'm looking at a NF 588, but it only parallaxes down to 45yds. will this be an issue for NRL22 matches (25yd shots)? anyone run one of these on a .22?

Other contenders are the Vortex AMG and Razor genII 3-18, Just rather have a NF if money is the same.

Last edited:
    that is a great scope. compact and great optics. if in that price range I might consider the kahles 3-18, luppy mk5 3-18 and maybe even the gen2 vortex 3-18 although I don't know the parallax numbers on them.

considering the 50yd paralx and 25 or less shots, its quickly mitigated by zooming scope down and making sure head perfectly centered. pretty easy actually.

that being said, 2 other scopes to take a very close look at. first the march 3-24 (10 yd parallax) and most compact and light and best glass you can get in the $2400 range and second the new burris XTR3 3-18 if it ever comes available (20 yd parallax).

but I am a big believer in the buy once cry once. any of the above come available in the px id jump if price is good.

GL
    DT

Thanks for the reply. I looked through my ATACR 5-25 this morning and the only way to focus at 25yds was to dial down to 5-6x, that's probably gonna be a non-starter.

It looks like I have a little more time than expected because the gunbroker seller that I bought from apparently listed 5 rifles that they didn't have in hand, and cancelled my order 22hrs later.

The ATACR 7-35 goes to 10m, if the size and price doesn't bother you.

I'm not a fan of waiting for new things to come out, but the new NX8s will adjust down to 10m, too.

I have the Midas Tac 6-24 and you would not be happy if the ATACR or other is in the realm of possibility. I admit the glass is nice, the APRS3 reticle is very useful and it tracks true on my Vudoo out to 300 yards with a 50 yard zero. After comparing it to my Razor 4.5-27, I am getting the 3-18 Razor w/ EBR-7C and floating dot. The Razor is so easy to get behind and has a very forgiving eye box relative to the Midas. The 3-18 will focus down to 25 yards for those close shots too.

You can pick up a NIB Razor at very good prices right now, significantly less than an ATACR. Something to consider.

Edit; I have nothing against Nightforce or the ATACR line and would be happy to own one but I chose the Razor after looking through a friend's scope and the rest is history.

Last edited:
    My pick as well. As said dial back a bit, can only sharpen the image and make things easier at 25 yds.
    Best chances for reliability counts. My opinion.

The Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 @14x works great at 20 yds. Glass is better imho than the old NXS models, it’s basically the same size/weight also

The ATACR 7-35 goes to 10m, if the size and price doesn't bother you.

I'm not a fan of waiting for new things to come out, but the new NX8s will adjust down to 10m, too.
    I'd love to have an NX8, but I hate waiting on new things. I would've bought one in a heartbeat.

I have the Midas Tac 6-24 and you would not be happy if the ATACR or other is in the realm of possibility. I admit the glass is nice, the APRS3 reticle is very useful and it tracks true on my Vudoo out to 300 yards with a 50 yard zero. After comparing it to my Razor 4.5-27, I am getting the 3-18 Razor w/ EBR-7C and floating dot. The Razor is so easy to get behind and has a very forgiving eye box relative to the Midas. The 3-18 will focus down to 25 yards for those close shots too.

You can pick up a NIB Razor at very good prices right now, significantly less than an ATACR. Something to consider.

Edit; I have nothing against Nightforce or the ATACR line and would be happy to own one but I chose the Razor after looking through a friend's scope and the rest is history.
    The ATACR 4-16 just would not focus to my satisfaction @25yds. I ended up going with a Razor AMG, This will be my first Vortex since the Viper PST all but ruined the brand for me. Hopefully I wont regret not waiting for the NX8.

Great choice! Worst-case scenario, you don’t like the scope as much as you hoped & its sale will cover the new NX8. I don’t think that is likely, though.

Reactions: BigTex
    I put a ATACR 4-16x42 F1 on my Vudoo. Its got a h59 which I find perfect for PRS courses. Super fast and no dialing needed. The top end 16 is fine for the 1 inch fly targets I shoot at 200 meters and the small steel on the KYL rack at 50 m. As far as the parallax is concerned 45m seems fine. The 25 meter targets are usually big enough to drop down to 9-10x and get a almost perfect image...I don't really worry about a bit of blur cause Im on the clock and not hanging around to admire the image. Now if I was staring at a 1/4 inch dot shooting bulls at 25 then something else might be better.

Reactions: BigTex
    S&B PMII 5-25x56. It has parallax correction to 10 meters. Everything about it is easy to use. Choose your reticle. A true Alpha scope that you will not regret. There are some really good used deals right now but they are drying up.