• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF ATACR 4-16x42 Zerohold?

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I went to reset zero on my ATACR F1 4-16x42 and decided for whatever reason to look at the manual. Instead of simply resetting the turret (which I had done in the past), it has me removing the turret and setting the clamp wheel (similar to other Nightforce scopes) as well as dialing 2 mils below zero multiple times. I've posted pictures below but basically I stopped at step 2. Turret stops and locks on "0" as it should and allows me to dial 2 mils below zero as well. All mechanisms allowing me to do this are in the locking turret and scope body.

I do not see the need for the clamp wheel at all. I understand other NF scopes use the clamp wheel as the zero stop but it seems completely redundant with the locking turret. For those more familiar with this scope, am I missing something here? I could probably use the clamp wheel as a second zero stop but don't see the point. Am I missing something by not doing steps 3-7? FWIW, I only did steps 1-2 the first time I set zero and have been using it this way for the last year. Basically I pass function test and test in step 8 while skipping 3-7.

6A789547-A737-4CCF-A92B-CC32FA92863A.jpeg
87BA7729-1750-477C-9AE4-8647E1AB5E48.jpeg
F2CD9464-E875-47ED-8DE7-1FF7B8F5C1FB.jpeg

This I just wrote in another thread 4-16X42 vs X50 bells.., I hope it helps :

Boomslang, my 4-16X50 F1 ATACR has zero stop but it doesn't have the button that allows you to go below the zero stop like the X42. That is the only scope that offers that feature. ( I'm quoting NF, I'm no expert) The guy at NF gave this explanation and I'll probably butcher it but here goes. Paraphrasing

"The X42 has the button that allows you to go beyond zero stop bc it was made for low profile gas gun purposes (AR10-15 maybe) and if you were laying on your side with port side up, you could use the elevation knob as windage knob while prone on side". We both laughed about it. Just so you know that was some engineers concept of that zero stop.

I usually just set my zero stop a mil past needed in case my load changes and want to rezero without the extra zero stop drama. You don't need to do this with the X42 bell. I like the feel of the taller turret but like the height of the low profile turret so its a mixed bag for me. The low profile turret has a different set of tiny tiny screws that causes me concern but only caused problems once. I can't remember but think I tightened them too tight and stripped them as a result. The regular screws are small enough.

I repeat, I am no expert and understand I am not trying to act as such, just passing on what I would think others might want to further understand as I did. Shout out to NF, they called me back immediately and when I had a follow up question, two people called me back with one right after another. Very impressive company customer service. Monster shout!

PB

"The X42 has the button that allows you to go beyond zero stop bc it was made for low profile gas gun purposes (AR10-15 maybe) and if you were laying on your side with port side up, you could use the elevation knob as windage knob while prone on side". We both laughed about it. Just so you know that was some engineers concept of that zero stop.

PB
Seems like a pretty far fetched scenario. Wonder what the Leupold engineers were smoking when they thought of that one.

......Or to be able to adjust POA/POI below your zero distance. Think: LE snipers.

What in the world are you guys talking about. 🥴
If you have a 100 yd zero and you are taking a 50 yd shot your POI will be low so you'd dial up not below your zero.

If you don’t lower that black clamp, you may have issues with the lock not locking properly bc the turret is sitting too high up for the locking pin to fully seat in the locking slot. I have this issue with my tikka using a 20 moa base right now.

Spinning the turret back to zero, the turret resistance would get heavier at .7 mil. You see that’s about where the locking slot starts to form on the turret body. And when the turret was “locked” it could still be turned out of the locked position with little extra force because the pin wasn’t sitting all the way down into the locking slot.

Attachments

• 967C78F0-3A4A-4FED-BBA4-4D3176EBD9E7.jpeg
    967C78F0-3A4A-4FED-BBA4-4D3176EBD9E7.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 520E44BA-BEF0-4BE5-B650-DA54B226E974.jpeg
    520E44BA-BEF0-4BE5-B650-DA54B226E974.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 5EF57A67-16FF-4CC6-A0E7-A5B099A79CFA.jpeg
    5EF57A67-16FF-4CC6-A0E7-A5B099A79CFA.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 60
  • CCDE47E5-6011-47DC-82BD-A87CACD90C3C.jpeg
    CCDE47E5-6011-47DC-82BD-A87CACD90C3C.jpeg