• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF Atacr 5x25 f1 spuhr mount questions

Sender7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2018
Hello everyone. Noob here and hoping for some friendly advice on which Sphur mount.
Rifle: Jp Lrp07
Stock: prs gen3
Caliber: 6.5 creedmoor
Range : 100-1200 yards
Optic: NF ATACR 5-25 f1 t3

I know the optic is a hold only but will need to dial at very long ranges.

I don't think the JP has any elevation built in and I do want to make sure I can zero at 100 yards.

I'm not sure if I need a 20 moa or 30 moa mount. Also unsure if I should be using a cantilever mount or not. I'm 6' 3". Ive done quite a bit of searching and it sounds like 20moa is ok but want to understand the use case for 30moa mount.

Lastly on height, I'm not sure if the I should be using 38mm height or 30mm for the mount.

If you guys wouldn't mind posting back what you're using or advise I'd really appreciate it.

I appreciate the patience ahead of time

Last edited:
I have the same rifle but different optic. Correct the JP mount is a 0 MOA mount. You will be able to obtain zero with 0, 20 or 30 MOA mounts. Based on the 56mm objective you will need the higher 38mm to be sure it clear with caps and all. I am running a Razor Gen 2 with the JP mount and can easily zero at 100 yards and touch steel past 1,000 yards. You should have no problem with your setup.

I have the same rifle but different optic. Correct the JP mount is a 0 MOA mount. You will be able to obtain zero with 0, 20 or 30 MOA mounts. Based on the 56mm objective you will need the higher 38mm to be sure it clear with caps and all. I am running a Razor Gen 2 with the JP mount and can easily zero at 100 yards and touch steel past 1,000 yards. You should have no problem with your setup.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the response. Much appreciated.

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
The ATACR 5-25 has a lot of available elevation adjustment. I have an equivalent scope (NF Beast) sitting in a 40 MOA mount, and have adjustment to spare when zeroed at 100 meters.

The tradeoff with using a canted mount is that the scope doesn't sit at its optical center when zeroed, and the image quality can suffer a bit. This effect is moot if you dial, but compounded when you hold over.

The receiver on AR-10 pattern rifles is long enough that you don't need a cantilever mount.

You may actually want to avoid a cantilever mount, since semiauto .308 class rifles (SCAR, AR10, M14) have significant reverse recoil from the heavy bolt carrier group slamming into battery. This reverse recoil can damage optics not designed to tolerate it, and there is some indication that cantilever mounts exacerbate the shock forces from it. On the other hand, your ATACR is probably okay.

Spuhr 4902 for 30 moa is a nice set up. It clears the hg easily and height is very comfortable.

The receiver on AR-10 pattern rifles is long enough that you don't need a cantilever mount.

You may actually want to avoid a cantilever mount, since semiauto .308 class rifles (SCAR, AR10, M14) have significant reverse recoil from the heavy bolt carrier group slamming into battery. This reverse recoil can damage optics not designed to tolerate it, and there is some indication that cantilever mounts exacerbate the shock forces from it. On the other hand, your ATACR is probably okay.

Bull shit

Which part are you calling bullshit on? Typical AR-10 pattern rifles have 18 Picatinny slots along the top of the receiver, including the JP LRP-07. My scope is situated comfortably on my Stag 10 in a non-cantilever mount with room to spare.

The DPMS Gen 2 receiver is a bit shorter, with only 15 slots (compare to an AR-15's 13 slots), and would indeed probably need a cantilever mount. But, the Gen 2 is kind of an oddball in a number of ways, smaller and lighter overall than more typical large frame ARs.

As for the reverse recoil eating optics, this issue is very well-known for the SCAR, and comes up occasionally on M14 forums. Indeed, American Defense Manufacturing recommends either their Delta or Recon-S mount for SCARs and AR-10s, neither of which is cantilevered.

Again, the DPMS Gen 2 is probably an exception, since the bolt carrier group is quite a bit lighter than those of other large frame ARs, so the reverse recoil isn't as severe.

Or, did you have an AR-10 which ate an ATACR? If so, my condolences.

Which part are you calling bullshit on? Typical AR-10 pattern rifles have 18 Picatinny slots along the top of the receiver, including the JP LRP-07. My scope is situated comfortably on my Stag 10 in a non-cantilever mount with room to spare.

The DPMS Gen 2 receiver is a bit shorter, with only 15 slots (compare to an AR-15's 13 slots), and would indeed probably need a cantilever mount. But, the Gen 2 is kind of an oddball in a number of ways, smaller and lighter overall than more typical large frame ARs.

As for the reverse recoil eating optics, this issue is very well-known for the SCAR, and comes up occasionally on M14 forums. Indeed, American Defense Manufacturing recommends either their Delta or Recon-S mount for SCARs and AR-10s, neither of which is cantilevered.

Again, the DPMS Gen 2 is probably an exception, since the bolt carrier group is quite a bit lighter than those of other large frame ARs, so the reverse recoil isn't as severe.

Or, did you have an AR-10 which ate an ATACR? If so, my condolences.

The part about cantilever mounts exacerbating the problem. Have you seen a Spuhr cantilever mount??? Get a fucking clue.