• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF & Badger bases & rings........Alum. vs. Steel??

captjordan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2005
Houston, TX
NF & Badger bases & rings........Alum. vs. Steel??

With the heavier recoiling rifles (ie 300 RUM), do you all think the Aluminum NF rings/bases with eventually "dent/wear/not hold up to 1000's of rounds".........as well as steel??? Or is the only difference really going to be the weight, whether you want it or not?
thx
jordan

Re: NF & Badger bases & rings........Alum. vs. Steel??

Pick whatever tickles your fancy, mount it and go shooting. Unless you can find one made of Adamantium...
confused.gif

Steel of course will hold up better than alum, its steel. If the little extra weight does not bother you then go with steel. Your steel base will then expand and contract the same as your receiver. But if your running a alum scope and most people do. The differance in expantion and contraction rates come in to play some where, its your choice to deside where. I personnely prefer a steel base and alum rings.

Steel: rate is .00000633 per 1 degree, per inch

Alum: rate is .00001244 per 1 degree, per inch

If you tear up a set of quality aluminum rings they are still the least of your worries. To me steel isn't worth the weight penalty.

Accuracy International uses an aluminum ringmount if I'm not mistaken.You rarely hear of .338 AWSMs busting them.

+1 for steel base and alum. rings. You are going to have steel on aluminum contact at some point, whether is action to base, base to rings or rings to scope, you will have steel on aluminum. I happen to belive its best for that transition to be at the base rings junction instead of the other two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for steel base and alum. rings. You are going to have steel on aluminum contact at some point, whether is action to base, base to rings or rings to scope, you will have steel on aluminum. I happen to belive its best for that transition to be at the base rings junction instead of the other two. </div></div>

+1

We have a few .338 LM out there with the NF Ultras and heavy ass scopes riding in them. No problems at all. My LongSword demo has those rings on it and they are totally trusted.

The NF uses 7075-T6 on the main body of the ring. Titanium cross bolt and clamp plate. Very beefy clamp design in these rings. Nothing to worry about rust or corrosion either.

You will be happy with either ring but don't sweat the materials between these two.

I ran my 5.5-22x50 NXS in Ultralight rings on my old 19lb 375 Cheytac (with a brake of course), 260AI, & 300 WM w/ no brake, and had zero issues with them. I think between these 3 rifles, they've seen a broad spectrum of recoil! Just put 'em on, torque 'em down & forget 'em. And +1 to Terry on not worrying about rust or corrosion too.

The Alum tube you sit in to make money takes an assload more abuse, I wouldn't worry about it, but I would lap the rings to ensure maximum contact.