• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF F1 on NF Unimount OK for .338LM recoil?

vmpglenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2004
Fitchburg, WI
Will the combination of a Nightforce F1 mounted in a Nightforce Unimount (extra high) be OK for the recoil on a Barrett 98B .338LM? I'm pretty sure the scope will be OK, but I'm not sure about the mount (would hate to have the scope slip in the rings, etc).

Thanks.

Re: NF F1 on NF Unimount OK for .338LM recoil?

The scope is certainly sturdy enough and the unimount is also very solid and the one-piece construction has to help there. I've not shot such big beasts, not sure if steel rings and base would be needed.

You will be fine when torqued correctly.

You should be fine. The Unimount is a very high quality mount. Be sure and torque the screws correctly and you should be OK. I suggest torquing the ring screws a couple times over to be sure they're all evenly torqued.

For future reference though, I've developed a mount that's a bit more beefy and will give some extra peace of mind for applications like this, but I don't yet have them in 30mm. At the moment I have 34mm available (info in sig).

NF scope & unimount are designed for 50bmg, so you should be more than okay. As stated, be sure to torque screw appropriately, and check for loosening after live fire.