• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF F1 vertical track test

2Shots

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2011
So Indiana
I decided to box test and vertical track my F1 today. The scope was zeroed, then 3 shots were fired cranking up the scope 3 mils three times, taking the scope to 9 mils up in elevation. The center to center from zero to each group was 11 inches, total of 33". By my calculation each should have measured 10.8 each crank, total 32.4. My 5.5 x 22 was dead on. Is it normal to vary that much. Should I have NF look at it? What do you guys think?

Re: NF F1 vertical track test

Could your Shots have been off by .2" ? Was your Paralax Perfect ? Repeat a few times before you decide.... that's not very scientific

If they were they were the same on every group, is there a more scientific method? Each group was exactly 11" from the last and overall was 33". I shoot 1,000 yards plus fairly often, a click can make a difference. And you either trust your dope and adjustments or your second guessing, not a good thing. I'll shoot it again and double check it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they were they were the same on every group, is there a more scientific method? Each group was exactly 11" from the last and overall was 33". I shoot 1,000 yards plus fairly often, a click can make a difference. And you either trust your dope and adjustments or your second guessing, not a good thing. I'll shoot it again and double check it. </div></div>

You just answered yourself, so clearly you need to send it back if you don't trust your scope.

Was the comparison with the 5.5-22 done on the same day from the exact same firing position at the exact same target? If not, it's probably more likely that you were off on your ranging by two yards.

No 6 months apart. I'll laser the distance this time and see if the backstop is off. Thanks for the feedback.

Before sending the scope, I would do a more extensive tracking test with the rifle firmly set on a vice/sandbags, and NOT firing, just noting the reticle movement over a graduated paper target at exactly 100 yds, every 10 clicks should be 3.6", 50 clicks should be 18", etc.

That error is well within normal limits. You are getting .102 mil per click, therefore picking up .2 mil every 10 mils. No big deal, uless you use software to calculate your comeups, then unless compenstation is built in you'll need to make an adjustment at some point.

I do agree with Tiro, a more detailed test is worth conducting. The graduated target works well, I use a laser rather than shooting. It's important to get the target EXACTLY 100 yards from the turret, measure with a tape, not an LRF. For a proper calibration, it's best to move as near to full scale as possible, checking the smaller divisions just to see if there are any jumps in the system.

If you were at 101 yards, you'd be at .101 mil per click and at 99 yards you's be at .103 per click. I'd like to dial a full 20 mil, not just 9.

Thanks for the info. I'll get a long tape and get an accurate distance. I figured 9 mils would get me past a 1000 and that's about where I stop, plus the cardboard was only 48" tall! Didn't quite follow that 101 and 99 yds though. Thanks!

Another easy doublecheck you can do (especially if the distance measurement was questionable) is measuring the clicks against the reticle. With the rifle held steady, aim at something with the 10 Mil down mark on the reticle, crank 10 mils into the turret and see if the reticle is now centered on whatever you were aiming at (a second person doing the cranking helps).

That eliminates distance as a variable but relies upon the reticle being calibrated (which can be checked numerous other ways).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll get a long tape and get an accurate distance. ... Didn't quite follow that 101 and 99 yds though.</div></div>

Yeah, you'll have to use a tape, since lasers usually have an accuracy of +/- 1 yard.

In all of the calculations being done so far, we're assuming that the scope is tracking 100% correctly and that the distance to the target is exactly 100 yards. If the actual distance is not 100 yards, the error you will observe will reduce down to the actual distance in yards divided by 100 yards. So if you were actually at 101 yards, your observed error would be 1.01, and if you were at 99 yards, the error would be 0.99.

Since your error was about 1.02, you might have been around 102 yards from the target, assuming that the scope is tracking perfectly.