• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF F1 zero, does this sound right?

David82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Chesapeake, Va
I recently zeroed a new rifle and couldn't quite wrap my head around it after the fact. The rifle is a FN spr with a badger 20moa rail, optic is an F1 and the rings are NF 1.0". My first shot at 100 yards was almost exactly 20" low, I dialed 5.3 mils and was on center, windage was on center. I know the bullet doesn't lie but I wasn't expecting to be that low at 100 and was kinda surprised to eat up over 5 mils just to zero. Btw I've searched the internet sideways and couldn't tell if my results are normal or not.

.308 168SMK btw

David

Last edited:
I have just over 24 1/2 mils of travel left. I was in such a hurry to play with the new toys I forgot to check where it was in terms of travel.

Was the scope new? Sounds like it was dialed to all the way up.

Or... I wonder if it's possible for the factory to make a mistake and install the 20 moa mount backwards? Not entirely sure such a thing is even possible.

Only reason I say that is... if the base was mounted backwards with the chubby side towards the barrel of the rifle... that would give 20 moa in the wrong direction... 20 moa is roughly 5.5 mils, which is in line with what you had to adjust.

Last edited:
I have just over 24 1/2 mils of travel left. I was in such a hurry to play with the new toys I forgot to check where it was in terms of travel.

NM, it was just dialed all the way up... 24 mils is about what i get from my Nightforce F1 zeroed at 100 yards with a 20 moa base.

David82: I had an F1 on an FN SPR for a while, it was a great setup.
Before you go go back out to chase your new zero, give a quick boresight effort to align the reticle and bore at 100yds or so.
It will save you much time and ammo getting dialed back down through your elevation!

It's dialed in at 100, my main concern was that it was low initially, I expected to be high. Also the fact that it took 5 mils to correct was kinda weird but after looking at the ballistics calculator it looks like the remaining 24 and change mils I have will stretch out farther than my .308 will so I'm not worried. The scope was dialed all the way down and I just expected it to be centered outta the box, don't expect what you don't inspect.

David

Always amazes me how much adjustments Nightforce scopes have with their 30mm tubes. I have my F1 on a precision AR15 in 223... 24 mils is laughable for my setup. :p

I believe NF centers them for a flat base, using a 20MOA base would put you the 5 Mils off... so companies center them for a 20MOA based, not all.

It is correct and did exactly what is supposed to.

I have a NF F1 with 20moa unimount on a LMT 308 and with a 100 yard zero I have 24 mils left. I thought that was pretty damn good.