• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF NX8 2.5-20 v Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 for east and west hunting

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
Priced within a few $100 of each other. NF weighs ~6oz more. NF goes down to 2.5x so a little better for eastern deer/woods hunting. Both first focal. Any other meaningful differences between these two for close and longer-range (400-600yds) hunting? Any other obvious choices (ffp, 50mm obj, ~3-15x)? thanks!

The NX8 in that magnification range has some noticeable edge distortion so that would make me lean more toward the Razor or the NX8 in 4-32.

I think the obvious competetion in this range to me is the mark 5 3.x-18 44mm objective. Even though its not a 50mm I dont think that is a significant enough difference to dismiss it from the group. Also ffp, very lightweight, good glass, similar price point, available with illuminated reticle options.

And also as an aside, I think the Vortex AMG is a close competitor to the mark 5 for the same reasons above, but given the higher low end mag range I cant say I think it fits in with your criteria for this comparison.

I have been trying to mount ffp light weight mid/upper tier scopes on my rifles as I intend to use my rifles as crossover hunting/target rifles. Before the new vortex 4.5-22 LHT came out the scopes I have purchased for that purpose have been the Mark 5 3-18 the AMG 6-24 and the Nx8 4-32. Now that the new LHT exists I think I would have mounted one of those rather than one of the other three I already bought. The only problem is...I have no idea which one it would have been....🤔

Reactions: YotaEer and Bart
i end to like the 2 to 2.5x lower magnification at the bottom end for hunting purposes. not too much real demand for 20+ power for most hunting situations. and a 4x+ magnification in the tight bush can be a non-starter for finding a moving animal

Reactions: Chasing3 and Raffy
I like the field of view on the low end of the NX8 2.5-20. It also offers a SFP reticle option.

I can’t believe I’m trying to decide between these two as well. Originally I was leaning Razor LHT but now I seem to be going NF NX8.

My reasons for NX8 have to do with the REV Stop setup. I use my rifle for PRS/NRL Type matches and hunting. I can’t afford to lose that many mils of dialing due to the rev stop. I really like the REV stop. I’ve seen too many problems hunting and the knobs moved during hunting. I want the rev stop. I also want it for match shooting. I just can’t stand losing 11mils from the rev stop.

I’d be fine with a 2x or 4.5x lower end zoom. I’ve shot deer at 10yds with a 4.5x scope (Bushnell LRHSI) and no worries. I’m actually leaning towards the NF NX8 4-32 scope.

Regardless both are lighter than my Razor Gen 2

The 4-32 is reportedly the way to go with the NX8. I have to say I love mine, in fact I was shooting my AMG and got behind my brothers 4-32 and liked it so much I got one afterwards.

I like the baby atacrs (4-16x42) on a hunting rig, typically just leaving it on 4x.

Just mentioning since you said 4x on the bottom is fine. They're usually available on the px for $1700-1900, so the same price range, basically.

I haven't looked through an NX8 so this is theoretical, but the concerns I would want to check out are how difficult the eye box is to get behind on an 8x range scope, and how thin the stadia lines get at low magnification. The light gathering and reticle clutter/illumination would matter a lot as well. There's a lot of leeway in scopes for hunting though, they don't have to be perfect.

I've been in this situation. Currently I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 and NX8 2.5-20 on my hunting rifles. 6.5cm and 300wsm respectively. I've been wanting to get another nx8 but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

2 of the animals I shot last year were with the nx8 on 2.5 power with the illumination on. Western WA. So lots of cover and quick shooting.

A nx8 4-32 is high on the list, but worried the 4x might be on the higher end of what I need. A TT315H is pefect except the price.

Reactions: robtan
Have a couple of the Vortex Razor 3-15 LHTs. and several of the NX8s that I use on "crossover" guns. Havn't had a chance to handle the 4.5-22 RAZOR but I'm sure its a very nice scope as well, and the mechanics between the two (3-15/4.5-22) are said to be very similar. However, if within a few hundred I'd go Nightforce EVERY TIME. Weight considerations and maybe a preferred reticle would be the ONLY reason I'd pick the RAZOR over the NX8. The nightforce just seems better built and more substantial when handling, and the glass is better to my eyes. The NIghtforce will also mostly likely hold a better reseale. Once the " new" wears off retailers will be selling the Razor for way less than the $1499 MAP pricing I'm sure, and IMO it plays a lot better in that price range.

The 2.5-20 does have a few negatives against it, edge distrotion on 2.5 power and a little picky on the eyebox being the two biggest detractors. My 3-15 Razor also have some distortion at 3X, but with both scopes unless your looking for it, its a non issue IMO. The RAZOR seems easier to get behind, but if the Nightforce is set up properly its a non issue to me. With that being said I much prefer the 4-32 Version, I just think its a much better scope across the board. The reticle is pretty small on 2.5X so Its not all the useable to me on the low end anyways, and the 4-32 is easier to get behind and clarity is better IMO.

Reactions: UpSideDown
for hunting use, the 2.5-20 is a go-to. lots of hunters with min 4x optics get surprise at short range and can't pick up the game fast enough. IMHO the 2.5-20 is an ideal compromise for huntng and longer range target or hunting. mil reticle and Nightforce ruggedness ideal.