• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF NX8 4-32F1or new Burris XTR Pro, or???

Bart430

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2022
Idaho
I am currently shooting NRL22 and AMR with Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5x29 APRS1. Not super happy with the scope, it works and I like the reticle but I feel the eye relief is tight.

Looking for a new scope. I was looking at the NF Nx8 4-32 F1 MIL XT but there have been a lot of negative comments on that scope. I have been reading the forums for the past 2 days.

Also interested in the new Burris XTR Pro SCR 2, can't seem to find one in stock.

Trying to keep the price around the 2K mark, this isn't a hard stop and I could go for the NF ATACR 7-35 but is it really $1450.00 more than the NX8?

Important features to me are Mil reticle xmas tree style, FFP, better eye relief than the Cronus, and parallax to shoot at or around 25 yrds.

NRL22 and AMR are the first and only competition rifle matches I have ever shot and I have only shot a few matches. So far no targets have been past 200 yards but they could go farther at the range I shoot.

Besides a Razer HD gen 1 5-20, the only scopes I have used are some crappy Simmons on a 10/22 and the Cronus.

Thanks

I've looked through the Atacr 7-35 and compared to my XTR3 3.3x18. While the NF had somewhat better glass, wasn't impressed for the cost difference.

The Pro would be direct competition towards the NF but much cheaper with better features imo.

Reactions: Bart430
I've compared the Pro to the ATACR a handful of times. Both myself and nearly every participant has concluded the Pro was as good or better.

My good friend in Utah who owns a handful of ATACRs (and no, that's not an exaggeration) looked through my Pro for 15 seconds at the Koening-Ruger match in Colorado. He fiddled briefly with the parallax and told me my Pro had better glass.

He also owns a couple XTR3s. He won't even buy NX8s.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
I had a NX8. Not impressed. Parallax was finicky. Have had several ATACRS and I really like them. Not the best glass, but very reliable and I love the Mil-XT reticle. The 7-35 will focus down to 10y, which is nice for rimfire. I understand everybody can’t put a $3000 optic on every rifle, me included. I just ordered two Burris XTRIII 5.5-30x56 SCR2-Mil illuminated optics. The illuminated model was just released by Burris. Dealers are starting to get shipping notification. I think it may be a good option for you for your .22. I have not had an opportunity to get behind a XTR Pro.

I had a NX8. Not impressed. Parallax was finicky. Have had several ATACRS and I really like them. Not the best glass, but very reliable and I love the Mil-XT reticle. The 7-35 will focus down to 10y, which is nice for rimfire. I understand everybody can’t put a $3000 optic on every rifle, me included. I just ordered two Burris XTRIII 5.5-30x56 SCR2-Mil illuminated optics. The illuminated model was just released by Burris. Dealers are starting to get shipping notification. I think it may be a good option for you for your .22. I have not had an opportunity to get behind a XTR Pro.
I'm liking the illuminated XTR3. I've had one for a couple months now riding on my 300 Norma. I've had it out 3 times now, and it's performing as expected. I ran it from zero to 1400, back to zero then 1760. Dead nuts at all ranges.

Maybe a large run of them will expose the quality difference between the American versus Phillipines versions. But I can't tell the difference on mine.

Reactions: nickw
I’ve owned both the Cronus and ATACR 7-35. My personal opinion is the atacr outshines the Cronus in every way, except the glass. I felt like both the atacr and cronus had about equal glass so I don’t know if a atacr would resolve your issue necessarily

Where I think the atacr shines is its built like a tank and a reliable optic. It’s the Honda 3 wheeler everyone has at their camp that nobody really acknowledges anymore, it’s not fancy, but you can count on it anytime even though it’s old technology but still works when newer stuff fails

I think Burris XTRIII or pro are worth a look. If they parallax close enough. My XTRII would not parallax to 25 yards

I think Burris XTRIII or pro are worth a look. If they parallax close enough. My XTRII would not parallax to 25 yards

XTRIIs were 50 yard parallax.

The XTRIIIs and Pros are 25 yard parallax. Realistically a little less than that. But certainly good enough for rimfire.

Reactions: hafejd30
Thanks everyone for your advice. Lots to consider here, sounds like the NX8 is out for sure. If anyone has any other scope suggestions, please feel free to throw them in the ring.

Don't discount the Bushnell XRS3 or DMR3.

The best glass to ever come out of bushy and rock solid internals.

They are right inline with Burris XTR3. Very under rated scopes.

Don't discount the Bushnell XRS3 or DMR3.

The best glass to ever come out of bushy and rock solid internals.

They are right inline with Burris XTR3. Very under rated scopes.
I looked at the Bushnell XRS3 but the parallax only goes to 50 yrds and I wanted something with a little more magnification than the DMR3 has for ARA matches.

I looked at the Bushnell XRS3 but the parallax only goes to 50 yrds and I wanted something with a little more magnification than the DMR3 has for ARA matches.
Is 50 yards parallax really a that important to you? $1000 decision roughly for the bushnell 6-36 vs say a Gen 3 razor 6-36?

Parallax on the Bushy 6-36 wouldn't be a problem below 50 anyway. Unless on 36 power, it will be fine down to 30 yards or so.

And, 21x on a DMR3 is beautiful. It would be my first choice for your application. It will focus down to less than 25 yards in real world applications.

Reactions: lou400a
Is 50 yards parallax really a that important to you? $1000 decision roughly for the bushnell 6-36 vs say a Gen 3 razor 6-36?
If it's for NRL22 then yes parallax below 50yards is import.
You could probably get away with 30-40yard parallax, but shooting small targets at 25yards on high magnification will be very difficult with a 50yard minimum.

Yep, for NRL22 to shooting a KYL rack with 1", 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" steel targets at 25 yrds, my eyes need to see it clear. Im not 25 anymore.