• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF on 50 bmg

scout67

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2008
Bonham, TX
I just got a NF 12-42 x 56 NXS with a NP-R2 reticle. This is my first Night Force. I got it for my Armalite AR50-A1. I just got it zeroed at 200 yds. I am waiting for it to dry up so I can try it at 500 yds. I am looking for someone who has a similar setup. I hope to eventually move up to 1000 yds. I have the standard 15 min angle scope base. I am loading my own ammo. Right now, I am loading some 650 gr FMJ BT at around 2900 ft/s. With the 15 min/ang base can I make it to 1000 yds? And what would be a good range to set my zero? I am planning to practice at 500 yds for a while till I can find a place to shoot further. So, I may just leave it zeroed at 200 and use the recticle lines to make to 500 yds. I am not sure if using reticle lines would be best or whether to use the turrent adjustment. I am fairly new to this so any advice would be welcome.

Re: NF on 50 bmg

You will need around 24 moa of elevation to get to 1000, do you have 24 moa remaining on your scope?

Really depends on what you want to do - the choices are the same regardless of what gun and cartridge combination you use.

For "tactical" or multi-range use, some prefer a 100yd zero, others a 200yd. With an adjustable scope, it really doesn't matter, as you will base all of your come-ups (both for turrets and reticle) off of some zero. For this reason I zero all mine at 100yds, just to stay consistent.

For benchrest shooting (fixed range), you typically leave the scope zeroed for that range, but it sounds like you will be doing more than that.

That's a lot of glass for non-BR shooting, if you find you have trouble seeing clearly when a lot of mirage is present, dial the scope back in power until things look better - the lowest power setting on that scope is still more than adequate for 1000yd shooting.

Unless there is something wrong with the system, you definitely have enough adjustment to get to 1000yds.

You use the reticle for holdovers if you need to shoot fast, otherwise it is better to dial the value in.

Good luck, and remember that with the .50, the key to shooting well is VERY consistent position on the gun, with all of the movement, keeping it the same every time is crucial.

That's a lot of magnification for the 50 BMG, unless you do BR shooting.

I have NF 5.5-22x56mm on my Windrunner. Serves me extremely well. Plan to use the same scope when I get the 408 Chey Tac, or 375 Chey Tac barrel. I zero mine at 100 yards. With a 40 MOA cant on my Windrunner, I got plenty of MOA remains to stretch out.

I have Nightforce 5.5.x25x56 on 2 50BMG's. One is currently being rechambered. The Ferret Supercomp I am shooting has a 30moa rail.

Why are you worried about using hold overs? You have 45 MOA of elevation plus the 15 moa cant of the base. With a typical Amax load 215gr.H50BMG with a 300 yard zero, just dial up about 23 moa to get to a 1000 yards.Even less with ball going 2900 ft/s-although your accuracy is going to suck.Unless you are busting rocks-you'd better buy some match bullets or you'll be very frustrated.

My Nighforce NXS are Mil/mil and I don't remember my data for ball-I rarely ever shoot it.Idon't know what kind of groups you are getting at 200 yards-but don't think you can extrapolate them to 1000.

Have you even shot at 1000 yards before? The elevation turret is there for a reason. USE IT. You'll also be using the windage knobs too.You are giving up alot of long range capability with that high power scope. 42x isn't very useful-IMO.

I usually have a 300 yard zero-just because my local range goes to 300. If I had 500 at all times that would be my zero.

Take a good spotting scope and someone that can spot the trace and splash or you'll going to pull your hair out until you get dialed in with a decent load. Are those ball projectiles-surplus and pulled? If so, I would strongly advise you obtain a bullet sizing die from CH 4d. Your best bet for military projectiles is AP and many ranges don't want it shot there.

You won't get good results with "most" borerider's in that chamber-but the AMAX flies pretty well around 2700 fps- good luck.

Getting accuracy like you would from other long range calibers like the 300WM, 338LM ,6.5x284 is VERY elusive in the 50BMG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Getting accuracy like you would from other long range calibers like the 300WM, 338LM ,6.5x284 is VERY elusive in the 50BMG</span></span>.

</div></div>

Amen Lt. Good to see you back here regularly. Things are okay I trust?

I'm 95% recovered from my 2nd Spinal fusion that I had done on March 1st.,2009.I've been out shooting alot of 338LM,308 and some 50bmg.

I have to travel 200 or so miles to my 1000yard range-that's still abit of hurtle. It feels good to be shooting again-don't take your health for granted. Hopefully, 5 levels fused is enough!!!(They took out 36 pieces of titanium becasue the older hardware from the first surgery didn't "match the new stuff" ;)THANKS for asking!

Here is a pic of some of the stuff they took out.!!!
titanfusion09001.jpg

I've had a 8-32 NF on my custom BMG for many years now they hold up well.I used to have Leupold M-4 with a doubler on it,and it only lasted 150 rounds before the reticule came loose.
Ball ammo even at 500yds will only give you 6" to 8" groups (if I remember correctly). M2 AP 709gr (black tip) will give you a little better accuracy.Or 750gr A-Max's are very good.
If your rifle is throated for bore riders shoot those. I machine my own 730gr bronze Harlow copys.Over 252gr V V 24n41 and RWS primers,out of a 36" tube its giving me 3100fps and 7.943" 5shot group at 1000yds.

Arc, Wish you all the best in your recovery!! What the Hell you going to do with all that hardware,build a deck??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arc, Wish you all the best in your recovery!! What the Hell you going to do with all that hardware,build a deck?? </div></div>

Thanks Bro,I asked my surgeon to save all that titanium.He put 14 "NEW" pieces back in
crazy.gif
. Now L3,L4,L5 and S1 are one big happy-PAIN in the ASS.Thanks for asking!.

My jaw dropped to the floor when I looked at all of those nuts/bolts/screws!

What on earth is a spinal fushion?

Damn Arc, that's a lot of hardware. Good to hear that it is going OK.

Lt. You have enough precious metal to melt them down and turn them into some kind action/barrel or something like that. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lt. You have enough precious metal to melt them down and turn them into some kind action/barrel or something like that. LOL.

</div></div>
I just hope I can avoid the "next" one. I got hurt(job related) in 1998 had the 1st Fusion and had to retire from the PD-started to literally lose the use of my legs last year-so I had no choice. I'm no where near perfect and I'm 48y/o. I figure I got ALOT of shooting to do. Now if I could just get a 375/408 out of that metal I'd be a happy man.

You could sell it to the local body piercing shop. Looks like some of the shit hanging off the shit walking around the mall.

All joking aside, hope everything goes well.

ScottyS I appreciate the advice. I will try to remember to maintain a consistant position. As far as the the power of the scope, I had a 20X before and did not like it for 500 yds. So, I went to a stronger power. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really depends on what you want to do - the choices are the same regardless of what gun and cartridge combination you use.

For "tactical" or multi-range use, some prefer a 100yd zero, others a 200yd. With an adjustable scope, it really doesn't matter, as you will base all of your come-ups (both for turrets and reticle) off of some zero. For this reason I zero all mine at 100yds, just to stay consistent.

For benchrest shooting (fixed range), you typically leave the scope zeroed for that range, but it sounds like you will be doing more than that.

That's a lot of glass for non-BR shooting, if you find you have trouble seeing clearly when a lot of mirage is present, dial the scope back in power until things look better - the lowest power setting on that scope is still more than adequate for 1000yd shooting.

Unless there is something wrong with the system, you definitely have enough adjustment to get to 1000yds.

You use the reticle for holdovers if you need to shoot fast, otherwise it is better to dial the value in.

Good luck, and remember that with the .50, the key to shooting well is VERY consistent position on the gun, with all of the movement, keeping it the same every time is crucial. </div></div>

I want to be able to use both reticle lines and plus adjusting the turrents. As I mentioned, I want to move out to 1000 yds. But right now about 500 yds is all that I have availible. I will move to a higher quality bullet when I get a little better at shooting this setup. The bullets are new. I do have some AP pulled bullets. I made a sizing die for them. I will use them for the rock shooting that you speak of.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Nightforce 5.5.x25x56 on 2 50BMG's. One is currently being rechambered. The Ferret Supercomp I am shooting has a 30moa rail.

Why are you worried about using hold overs? You have 45 MOA of elevation plus the 15 moa cant of the base. With a typical Amax load 215gr.H50BMG with a 300 yard zero, just dial up about 23 moa to get to a 1000 yards.Even less with ball going 2900 ft/s-although your accuracy is going to suck.Unless you are busting rocks-you'd better buy some match bullets or you'll be very frustrated.

My Nighforce NXS are Mil/mil and I don't remember my data for ball-I rarely ever shoot it.Idon't know what kind of groups you are getting at 200 yards-but don't think you can extrapolate them to 1000.

Have you even shot at 1000 yards before? The elevation turret is there for a reason. USE IT. You'll also be using the windage knobs too.You are giving up alot of long range capability with that high power scope. 42x isn't very useful-IMO.

I usually have a 300 yard zero-just because my local range goes to 300. If I had 500 at all times that would be my zero.

Take a good spotting scope and someone that can spot the trace and splash or you'll going to pull your hair out until you get dialed in with a decent load. Are those ball projectiles-surplus and pulled? If so, I would strongly advise you obtain a bullet sizing die from CH 4d. Your best bet for military projectiles is AP and many ranges don't want it shot there.

You won't get good results with "most" borerider's in that chamber-but the AMAX flies pretty well around 2700 fps- good luck.

Getting accuracy like you would from other long range calibers like the 300WM, 338LM ,6.5x284 is VERY elusive in the 50BMG.

</div></div>

Bullet, I plan to develop better loads. Shooting a 50 bmg is a whole new ball game. I am just having fun right now. Will get more serious as time goes on. Where do you get reloading data? I have not come accros much yet. I have not looked that much yet. But the more info I have the better.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a 8-32 NF on my custom BMG for many years now they hold up well.I used to have Leupold M-4 with a doubler on it,and it only lasted 150 rounds before the reticule came loose.
Ball ammo even at 500yds will only give you 6" to 8" groups (if I remember correctly). M2 AP 709gr (black tip) will give you a little better accuracy.Or 750gr A-Max's are very good.
If your rifle is throated for bore riders shoot those. I machine my own 730gr bronze Harlow copys.Over 252gr V V 24n41 and RWS primers,out of a 36" tube its giving me 3100fps and 7.943" 5shot group at 1000yds. </div></div>

Case prep is a biggie for 50BMG. Issues that don't make too much change in smaller calibers are magnified on the 50. Weighing cases,CC cases,flash hole size,neck thickness all make a difference at 1000. Join F.C.S.A (fifty caliber shooters association.)lots of good info and a great bunch of guys.

Bullet, Thanks I will check it out. Some more reloading data would be good.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Case prep is a biggie for 50BMG. Issues that don't make too much change in smaller calibers are magnified on the 50. Weighing cases,CC cases,flash hole size,neck thickness all make a difference at 1000. Join F.C.S.A (fifty caliber shooters association.)lots of good info and a great bunch of guys. </div></div>

I put a 5.5-22x56 NP-R2 on my AR50 after trying a 12-42x56. I never went past 20 anyways due to mirage. Also, the 5.5-22 has 100 moa vs. the 45 moa on the 12-42. You should still be fine at 1000 with your setup though.

Rutledge, Thanks for the comment. I am hoping it works out for me. I really like the high power. I am hoping to manage the mirage. I have heard many good things about NF. That is the reason I bought this scope.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wkrutledge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a 5.5-22x56 NP-R2 on my AR50 after trying a 12-42x56. I never went past 20 anyways due to mirage. Also, the 5.5-22 has 100 moa vs. the 45 moa on the 12-42. You should still be fine at 1000 with your setup though. </div></div>

You bet! Any NF is a good choice. plus with the 12-42 you basicly have a spotting scope mounted on your rifle
wink.gif