• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF scopes. What makes them superior??

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
The only scopes I have owned are Leupold. I have a 6.5x20x50 LR on my Rem 40X .220 swift and a 3.5x10 on my Rem LTR .223. I have been looking to get a higher power for the LTR and have been shopping around on the Hide and AR15. The NF scopes are double the cost of a Leupold and I was hoping you could shed some light on the subject for a noob. What makes the NF so much better and are they really worth the money for someone who shoots mostly paper?

Re: NF scopes. What makes them superior??

Personally, I think the glass is a tad clearer than Leupold. There is also an interesting story on their website as a testament to their durability- soldier in Iraq took an AK round through the tube of his NF, scope was still perfect other than the power being fixed on 10 or 12 I think. I bang my gun around a lot so durability is huge.

just my .02

-Taylor

I own both the NF and Leupy Mark 4's...

IMHO the NF is more durable, tracks better, parallax adjustment is better, and with matching reticle/turret... Its a win situation...

I also give the NF an edge in the clarity of the optics...

Both companies have given me great customer service...

Price wise a 6.5-20x50mm Illuminated Mark 4 isnt really that much cheaper than a NF 5.5-22x50...
The same can be said when comparing the 4.5-14 Illuminated Mark 4 and the NF 3.5-15 ...

Just MHO....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes the NF so much better...</div></div>

Boring reliability & repeatability...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... The NF scopes are double the cost of a Leupold and I was hoping you could shed some light on the subject for a noob.</div></div>
No, not double if you bother to compare comparable models.

If you use the discounted price of a low-line Leupold (MK2, VX-1, VX-2) against the pimped out NightForce (FFP/Zero stop) NXS retail list price, then yes there IS a lot of difference in cost, but there is then a lot of difference in every other aspect and you're comparing Volkswagens toPorsches.

If you compare a standard SFP NF NXS to a MK4 Leupold 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50 with an illuminated reticle (standard equipment in NXS models), the difference is suddenly only a couple hundred bucks, and WELL worth it IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes the NF so much better and are they really worth the money for someone who shoots mostly paper?</div></div>"Quality" and "yes", if thing like clarity, reliability and reduced eye fatigue are things you like. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lordt313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I think the glass is a tad clearer than Leupold....</div></div>I agree, although the difference may not be that obvious until you spend some time behind both.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own both the NF and Leupy Mark 4's...

IMHO the NF is more durable, tracks better, parallax adjustment is better, and with matching reticle/turret... Its a win situation...

I also give the NF an edge in the clarity of the optics...

Both companies have given me great customer service...

Price wise a 6.5-20x50mm Illuminated Mark 4 isnt really that much cheaper than a NF 5.5-22x50...
The same can be said when comparing the 4.5-14 Illuminated Mark 4 and the NF 3.5-15 ...

Just MHO.... </div></div>Exactly.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the end of the day........NF is moving their game forward....

Leupy.........Not so much. </div></div>Leopold is actually moving thier game backwards as fast as they can, and are living on a reputation earned a decade and more ago. Search "Leupold" and "China".... <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boring reliability & repeatability... </div></div>Ain't that the truth. I LOVE my equipment being "boring".

good question MOOSEKNUCKLE. I am new to this forum and shooting and see many people recommend NF scopes. Now that others have replied I have a better understanding of what makes NF a better scope.

Actually, what makes NF a better scope is the buzz generated by internet sites such as this one. NF is better because consumers have convinced themselves that the company has somehow developed the holy grail of tactical shooting. A scope that is clear, reliable, and repeatable is just as likely to come from one of a half dozen companies. However, if you want the respect and admiration of your tactical buddies, a NF is the current status brand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterBear71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, what makes NF a better scope is the buzz generated by internet sites such as this one. NF is better because consumers have convinced themselves that the company has somehow developed the holy grail of tactical shooting. A scope that is clear, reliable, and repeatable is just as likely to come from one of a half dozen companies. However, if you want the respect and admiration of your tactical buddies, a NF is the current status brand. </div></div>

Word. I sold my NF in favor of a Barska.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterBear71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, what makes NF a better scope is the buzz generated by internet sites such as this one. NF is better because consumers have convinced themselves that the company has somehow developed the holy grail of tactical shooting. A scope that is clear, reliable, and repeatable is just as likely to come from one of a half dozen companies. However, if you want the respect and admiration of your tactical buddies, a NF is the current status brand. </div></div>

Ya, thats it......
rolleye0001.gif
rolleye0007.gif

BULLSHIT

I spoke with one of the old Nightforce design engineers about the NXS. He said, "We made some of these that were mechanically and optically perfect. No one can afford perfect, so we had to figure out the delta between perfect and affordable."

After having shot out bunches of Leupolds which required back-and-forth trips to Beaverton for repair ("Hey, don't we always fix them?") the Army Marksmanship Unit retired their Mark 4 16Xs for 5.5-22X NXSs. The Special Forces Sniper School can't do that as the M3LR seems to be going the same road as the 16Xs.

The NXS is an affordable, sound compromise between the highest grade Euro glass and US econo glass.

I still own several M3LRs, but have replaced my higher end Leupolds with NXSs. I haven't figured out how to afford to buy Schmidt-Benders and Hensoldts. Maybe sell a kidney.

When you say "shot out" does that mean it wont hold zero?

Yes.

Backlash ("Dead clicks") got pretty bad -- you put on your correction for elevation or windage and get nothing. Add another click and all of a sudden you get a minute or more of correction.

Gotcha, once the have been used this much, is it worth getting rebuilt or do they go in the trash can?

Leupold stands by them and will keep re-building as long as you have the patience to go back-and-forth to the post office.

I chose to swap out high end for long range for the Nightforce. I keep the M3LRs for the BDC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke with one of the old Nightforce design engineers about the NXS. He said, "We made some of these that were mechanically and optically perfect. No one can afford perfect, so we had to figure out the delta between perfect and affordable." </div></div>

Yet guys will still pay $3000 and $11000 for Zeiss?

Putting that kind of money on a $800 rifle is kinda like the kids that put a $8000 stereo in a $800 Civic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet guys will still pay $3000 and $11000 for Zeiss?</div></div>

Not Uncle Sam

I'm sure any of the top manufacturers will rebuild your scope if'n it quits tracking true...

How about...

You can use it as a club, put it back on your rifle and keep shooting?

LOL, just keep enjoying your NC Star or Barska. Based on your post, I doubt you would ever notice the difference.

You keep on hittin' that crack pipe bro...

Brand loyalty is a wonderful thing. In this heat, the Kool-aid is quite refreshing.

NF isn't superior IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterBear71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brand loyalty is a wonderful thing. In this heat, the Kool-aid is quite refreshing. </div></div>

So, what scopes do you use?

Oh- this is going to be fun....
Popcorn, check.
Cool drink, check.
Cigar, check.
Comfy chair, check.
Let the games begin.........
BTW.....NOT this shit again!

I'd agree that 1/2 dozen companies make very superior scopes.
And what scope company do you work for?

That right there is the internet at it's finest!

I have 2 NF optics and have had 2 Mark 4's. Keyword being had.
I personally like NF better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">56mm or 50mm npr-2 on an aics with 700? Any suggestions? </div></div>
I would go with the 56 if it were me. Same price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mooreguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">56mm or 50mm npr-2 on an aics with 700? Any suggestions? </div></div>
I would go with the 56 if it were me. Same price. </div></div>
A 50mm will get you lower over the barrel........
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mooreguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">56mm or 50mm npr-2 on an aics with 700? Any suggestions? </div></div>
LG </div></div>

+1, get the 50mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knuckleduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 NF optics and have had 2 Mark 4's. Keyword being had.
I personally like NF better. </div></div>

FWIW, Ive had 'em all aside of Zeiss/Hendsolt or Premier, but if Im puttin my money out there the first stop will be Nightforce. Every time.

Question guys, I have a Premier 3-15X50 and a Leupold 4.5-14X50 (TMR SFP). On the Premier whenever I change the power setting theres no need for me to change my cheekweld but on the Leupold everytime I change the power setting I have to move my head forward for higher power and back for lower power. How is it for SFP NF (say 5.5-25)?

Thanks,
Joseph

The biggest reason I went from leupold to NF was that NF was the first scope i could afford that offered matching reticle/adjustments. the NF5.5-22x50 np-r1 or r2 was only around $1300 back a few years ago. Having a Moa reitcle scope was the kicker for me, plus the magnification range was greater then leupolds.

I also felt like I had more reliable tracking with the NF.

Today I dont use either. One you go S&B 5-25, your spoiled from then on out.

Joey,

That is a common issue with the variable Leupolds. Ive had some Leupolds that were alot worse than others. Ive never noticed this issue with the NXSs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterBear71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brand loyalty is a wonderful thing. In this heat, the Kool-aid is quite refreshing. </div></div>

Your drive by postings are weak... Fill out your profile completely, and offer something to the forum... Welcome to the hide...

The only thing I'm loyal to is quality... and a loopy ain't my gig...

NF fits the bill nicely and gets the job done sans whistles, buzzers, & gimics. Some are impressed by a buzzwords & brand names...
'Course I don't impress easily.

I think they both offer good scopes. I have them both. I do prefer NF but I don't hesitate to use the rifles with the Leupys. The ones I have have always held zero and perform well even in low light. I have noticed that the eye relief can really change with my Mark 4 8.5-25X 50 when you adjust the magnification, the NF does not have this characteristic. I want some more NF scopes because it makes me look like I'm chick at the range. If you looked as fat an old as I do, you will do what it takes to hang with the GQ crowd...Just kidding. I like quality and performance...I like well made stuff. I hate when crap breaks..I hate disposable stuff.. Give me quality or give me death...hahahhaha.SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mooreguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">56mm or 50mm npr-2 on an aics with 700? Any suggestions? </div></div>
LG </div></div>

+1, get the 50mm. </div></div>Why do you guys give up a bit bigger lense for being lower to the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterBear71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, what makes NF a better scope is the buzz generated by internet sites such as this one. NF is better because consumers have convinced themselves that the company has somehow developed the holy grail of tactical shooting. A scope that is clear, reliable, and repeatable is just as likely to come from one of a half dozen companies. However, if you want the respect and admiration of your tactical buddies, a NF is the current status brand. </div></div>

That right there is the internet at it's finest! </div></div>

Funny how a beloved "internet reputation" can go to shit in a couple of sentences...
laugh.gif

I have a MK4 which i'm happy with to a point... Would like to go NXS but just can't justify spending another 2k on a scope right now without at least selling my current one first. And i love the TMR reticle in my MK4. The only NXS i've fired was on a cheytac M200 and that was a great clean scope with solid clicks and alot of travel.

How many times can the same subject be beat to shit? Go to the range and see ten guys shooting and you will see them shooting ten different rifles with ten different scopes. Would I put a Tasco on my TRG-42, absolutely not, but when comparing all the high end scopes, it really comes down to personal need. My USO's are only better than someone elses NF or Schmidt in my eyes and if it breaks then automatically we hear that's why I went with a NF. I'm sure their ar plenty of guys that will say that's why I went with a USO when a buddies NF breaks. Bottom line, they are all of top of the line and breakage represents a tiny portion of actual usage but a huge portion of what we hear, most of the serious shooters realize that no scope no matter the make is bullet proof and carry a backup with them anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joey,

That is a common issue with the variable Leupolds. Ive had some Leupolds that were alot worse than others. Ive never noticed this issue with the NXSs. </div></div>

Thanks 7mm. I wanted to know this because I'm contemplating on selling my Leupold for a 5-25 NF.

Thanks 7mm. I wanted to know this because I'm contemplating on selling my Leupold for a 5-25 NF. [/quote]
That is what I did, and NO REGRETS at all.......
(5.5-22NXS NPR2)
Oh, if you can't find the NF you want call, NF and see about how far behind they are on orders.
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks 7mm. I wanted to know this because I'm contemplating on selling my Leupold for a 5-25 NF.
That is what I did, and NO REGRETS at all.......
(5.5-22NXS NPR2)
Oh, if you can't find the NF you want call, NF and see about how far behind they are on orders.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

LG, so with your 5.5-25 you dont need to move your head whenever you change power settings? This would be helpful because when I shoot I often change from 500 meters and 1000 yards and that extra mag at 1000 will help out a lot.

Thanks,
Joseph

All scope brands have some issues, even Nightforce.

Here is my list of Scope makers I've used or held, or shot, and the problems that I see, IMHO:

Schmidt and Bender - $$$$ great if you can afford them, sucks if you can't. Be great if the specs. on their scopes was readable in US measures and not metrics. They do want to sell scopes here in the US don't they?

USO - Truly custom built, cost some $$$, but not unreasonable for what you get, but not a scope to buy if you need it like next week. Custom takes time, not off the shelf. Great CS after you buy. Actually makes MOA/MOA stuff for the MIL challenged.

Nightforce - limited FFP - MIL/MIL variety, but getting better. I hate that the ocular turns when I adjust power, it's annoying for me, other wise great optics and superior adjustments, and build quality. Great CS after you buy. They are the other company that makes fine MOA/MOA products for the MIL challenged.

Leupold- former gold standard, resting on laurels for too long, nothing new, some customization available, good CS after you buy. The tech guys answering the phone sometimes know less than my grandson about their products. case in point: about a month ago I was quoted in an email $129.99 for both W&E dials to convert my M3 (1" adjust)to M2 (1/2" adjust) dials. But my M3 already has 1/2" windage dials, and came that way from the factory. Sent another e-mail questioning this quote and was now told that a M1 could not be converted to an M2. Except that I had a M3 not an M1.

So several more e-mails later, I got a correction: Yep, only $89.00 to change an M3 to M2, elevation only, cause windage is already 1/2". Only took a month to get a correct answer.

IOR - Great scope, great glass, great prices, some good builds, some bad builds, in other words a crapshoot. CS service consists of replacing, not repairing defective scopes. Actually that's not all bad. Best part about IOR is Liberty Optics sells them, and stands behind them. Other vendors are so so about after the sale service, concerning IOR.

Sightron - Hear some good things about the company, and their scopes. US HQ is 20 miles from my house. Sent them an e-mail about visiting their site, to hold and touch their fine products, as the nearest Sightron dealer is 70 miles away. Told nope, the public is not allowed. No touchy feely of their scopes in Youngville, NC HQ. WTF????

Burris - OK, OK, but same problem as Nightforce, ocular turns when you adjust power. That sucks for me, as it renders my BC covers useless. CS is ok, not great.

Bushnell - 6500 and 4200 are GTG, the rest of their line, not so good, but they are cheap. CS is OK, they get the job done on repairs, if not quickly. I think they hire ex Leupold service Techs, as they know even less about their products. Best warranty on their top of the line scopes. One year no questions asked...lifetime on repairs... Great service when they were still Bausch and Lomb...

Nikon - Good product, good optics, good prices, but quirky, indifferent CS. I think their service reps were all trained by the USPS. But they do fix their stuff if it breaks.

Falcon - Haven't broken the three I own yet. Falcon's website has been down nearly 2 months, not a good sign if you need a repair or have a question...

SWFA - Got a new 3-9x42MM coming, but the older SS line represents the best bang for the buck. Bushy fixes their stuff for them, so CS is OK. SWFA has a strange marketing plan: they sell their stuff cheaper on E-Bay, then their own website. Odd don't you think?

See every scope maker has some issues and Nightforce is better than most. If only the ocular didn't turn, I buy nothing else....

Bob

You forgot Premier Heritage...