• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF SHV 5-20x56 or Black Diamond 5-25x56

Foxtrot2November

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 2, 2018
Iowa
Anyone have experience with either? I'm looking for a high powered optic for varmint hunting thanks!

No experience with Black Diamond. Never heard of them. Did have a NF 4-14 F1, and it was/is a fantastic scope for the money. I realize I had a FFP, and you’re looking at a SFP, but the SHV line in general is very solid. I’ve heard the 4-14 F1 compared to the now discontinued NXS F1 3-15. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the NF SHV to anyone.

From your options, I take it you prefer SFP over FFP? Personally, for varmint hunting I prefer FFP tree reticles so I can use the reticle for drop and wind holds at any magnification (I'm usually using 22LR for ground squirrels, so holds actually matter). Varmints rarely give you time to spin turrets or roll the zoom. For the roughly $1200 price of the NF SHV 5-20 SFP, you have a ton of other options in SFP or FFP. What kind of varmints?