• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF Unimount vs Seekins MXM?

Maverick3009

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Indiana
Stuck debating between these two mounts. Will be mounted on a SPR with an ATACR 4-16x42. They're basically identical, 20moa cant, 34mm rings, 1.44” (NF) and 1.45" (Seekins) to centerline. Both companies have great reputations that I know of. What's been everyone's experiences with these mounts?

I know the NF are pretty universally loved but haven't seen a whole lot on the MXM. Mount will eventually get topped with an RMR (not sure if 90° or 45° yet) but both are compatible with those accessories.

Help sway me one way or the other.

It’s honestly difficult to make a wrong choice here.

Badger (my preference)
Reptilia (also my preference)
Geissele
NF
Seekins

And probably a half dozen more. Find one that fits your budget/taste and run it.

Reactions: Maverick3009
It’s honestly difficult to make a wrong choice here.

Badger (my preference)
Reptilia (also my preference)
Geissele
NF
Seekins

And probably a half dozen more. Find one that fits your budget/taste and run it.

That's where my head is at, I may just flip a coin at this point. The main deciding factor is centerline height as I want something in the 1.4"-1.45" range which these both meet. I had looked at Spuhrs but didn't like all the stories about them cracking. Doesn't help that the NF and Seekins are almost the same price too.

NF doesn't have a ton of options for accessories, v. C1 or Reptilia. Reptilia AUS has the most options for RMR/ACRO, but there are at least a couple of options to get an RMR/ACRO on an NF Unimount. Not sure if Seekins has any RMR/ACRO mounts for the MXM

I prefer the single nut/crossbolt design of NF/AUS/C1 to Seekins' 2x hex bolts, some might prefer the recessed bolts on a Seekins

Reactions: BurtG
Not sure if Seekins has any RMR/ACRO mounts for the MXM

I've currently ruled out the C1/AUS/Geissele for their height unfortunately but I do love all of their versatilities. Seekins offers their "X caps" which you can mount a bubble level or a diving board to currently, a rep told me earlier that they're working on the red dot mounts for it.

Reactions: R_A_W
Good to know.

FWIW, I have 3 sets of standard Seekins rings & at least 2 bases, some over 15 years old. I am very happy with all of them.

I have a MXM on one of my AR's and it is a really solid mount, have probably a half dozen sets of Seekins rings too and cant say anything but good about the rings or the MXM mount.

I have both and can't say if one is better or not. FWIW, the expensive Vortex is supposedly made by Seekins and I have 2 of those (slight style differences but same screw size, shape, weight, etc).

I did have an issue with either the Seekins or one of the Vortex where it didn't tighten down on a couple of Areo M4E1 uppers. I put a shim made of a Pepsi can and that did the trick but have since changed out to a different brand of uppers and no more issues.

Used many of both, both work well. Super nit picky but I will say that the NF is easier for me to level a scope in, not sure if it's texture, shape, maybe thread pitch, etc. but I find it much easier to set tension on the rings so the scope will move easily but stay put. With the MXM mounts it seems like they are more "grabby" and I have a harder time finding the right tension that lets you easily make very tiny adjustments but stay put when tightening.

Reactions: Maverick3009
Both are assuredly good options.

I have a NF unimount for when I turn one of my ar15's into SPR mode, and it works just fine. Quality mount, but no real bells and whistles or the ability to accessorize, if that's your thing.

Used many of both, both work well. Super nit picky but I will say that the NF is easier for me to level a scope in, not sure if it's texture, shape, maybe thread pitch, etc. but I find it much easier to set tension on the rings so the scope will move easily but stay put. With the MXM mounts it seems like they are more "grabby" and I have a harder time finding the right tension that lets you easily make very tiny adjustments but stay put when tightening.

I ended up getting the Seekins MXM as all my other rings are Seekins so I figured I'd keep it in the family and I agree about the whole "grabby" thing. I mounted and leveled my scope earlier and noticed that exact thing as I was trying to make minute adjustments.