• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors NFA Trust Qs

mark82

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2020
Researching NFA Trusts and have a couple questions that I have not gotten consistent answers to. Either folks making up answers or speculating on things they know nothing about.

1. If you are a Trustee and have items in the Trust, then subsequently add a Co-Trustee, is there any requirement or mechanism to notify ATF of the change or submit pics/prints?

2. I thought that a main advantage of an NFA Trust was that it did not have a requirement for CLEO signoff. Has that changed? Is it now signoff, notify, or not at all?

When they changed the rules years ago I consulted my nfa lawyer and he said you can add or remove trustees at will, the reason behind asking this is that my two trustees live in another state so obtaining finger prints etc is a pain if I want any more items on my trust. My lawyer drew up an addendum I can add to my trust to remove my trustees should I apply for a new nfa item and then the addendum is just discarded essentially adding my trustees back to the trust.

OK, thats about adding and removing. And I understand that ultimately I am resposible for ensuring that co-trustees are "responsible possessors". But does ATF have to know who they are (and subsequent pics/prints background check) when added? I am inferring that you do not notify, whether there is a req for it or not. But thats none of my biz. Just want to know if there is any legal requirement.

OK, thats about adding and removing. And I understand that ultimately I am resposible for ensuring that co-trustees are "responsible possessors". But does ATF have to know who they are (and subsequent pics/prints background check) when added? I am inferring that you do not notify, whether there is a req for it or not. But thats none of my biz. Just want to know if there is any legal requirement.

You do not need to notify the ATF when you add trustees "off cycle", as in the time period between your form 1/4 submissions. In this lull, you can add/remove trustees as you see fit.

At any point you have new active trustees, that weren't trustees prior, and you submit a NEW Form 1/4, they'll need to submit the pics, finger prints, responsible party etc.

From what I understand you are the only one that needs fingerprints and what not and to add or remove you just do an amendment. My knowledge is limited though, i'm still waiting on my first suppressor to get out of atf jail. I also got mine through silencershop, but from what i read before hand, I'm under the impression only you need prints

I thought that a main advantage of an NFA Trust was that it did not have a requirement for CLEO signoff. Has that changed? Is it now signoff, notify, or not at all?
Notification only for CLEO. There is paperwork in the downloaded form 1/4 for this.

Researching NFA Trusts and have a couple questions that I have not gotten consistent answers to. Either folks making up answers or speculating on things they know nothing about.

1. If you are a Trustee and have items in the Trust, then subsequently add a Co-Trustee, is there any requirement or mechanism to notify ATF of the change or submit pics/prints?

2. I thought that a main advantage of an NFA Trust was that it did not have a requirement for CLEO signoff. Has that changed? Is it now signoff, notify, or not at all?
It is just a notification now. As an example I'm in Jacksonville, FL and when I buy something from Silencer Shop they send the CLEO notification to some DA office in Tallahassee. They don't even send to local sheriff office.