• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NHRPC Gap PA Precision, SDM, & carbine matche 3/13

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
Hi,

We are running a split discipline match this month. You register as shooting either one or the other (not both).

Sunday, March 13th, arrive NLT 0830.

Precision shooters will fire six challenging stages including movers, popups and holdover steel drill out to 600Y. CoF is 55 rounds or less. Non-magnum calibers please. SDM/DMR shooters will fire a similar CoF but be scored against their own.

There is no zero-checking possible before the match.

New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club
589 Meetinghouse Rd.
Gap PA

Carbine shooters will fire the Diplomatic Security Services Rifle Qualification Course for score. Carbine shooters may fire a second round with a different rifle (if time permits). 3 mags of 20 are required for this CoF.

Online registration is REQUIRED. Payment is on-site, the day of the match. Personal check made out directly to the club is preferred.

Please note our 2011 cancellation policy which states that if you register and no-show or late cancel for any reason, you are responsible for furnishing that match fee to the club the next time you want to shoot with us.

Late registrations (such as match day morning weather-checkers) are welcome, but if you are not on the sheet four days before match day (when I go buy supplies), your match fee shall be $10.00 extra. Even so, you still have to let me know you are coming before you show up because firing positions are limited. Please don't take it personally if you insist on taking this approach and we have no room for you.

Online registration is here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEZ5S0VIVEs3dXBTWlRxU3ptd2ZuQmc6MQ

Any questions, please post or PM.

--Fargo007

Re: NHRPC Gap PA Precision and carbine matches 3/13

I'm in
wink.gif
Free Bump...

Well.... if the weather continues to not cooperate, I might be able to make this. All that rain yesterday put a serious hurt on the snowmobile situation. But it's March, a snow storm is not out of the question. I should know the situation by next Wed. though.

What is the cost for the match?

We are adding SDM/DMR type .223 AR rifles to the mix as a separate class.

These rifles are harder to shoot at longer distance than purpose built precision rifles. Requirements:

1 - Must use a bullet suitable for 600Y use. 55gr M193 is not acceptable.

2 - Must have some type of front rest available for the 600Y shots.

3 - As always, must be able to keep them in the safe impact area. Short or high hits earn a warning. Next one out of place is a DQ.

Full CoF for Precision, DMR and carbine:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=e...amp;output=html

--Fargo007

Questions about the 3 position stage - are the standing and kneeling totally free hand or are they "barricade" type shots? What is NRA prone, no bipod? And how big is a B27 target?

Considering I've never shot movers, and I'm not much of an offhand shooter, this could be very interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Questions about the 3 position stage - are the standing and kneeling totally free hand or are they "barricade" type shots? What is NRA prone, no bipod? And how big is a B27 target?

Considering I've never shot movers, and I'm not much of an offhand shooter, this could be very interesting. </div></div>

A B27 is a full size torso target.
NRA Prone is slung up, no bipod, no rear bag. Highpower comp. style

Fargo will have to hit the others, as I don't know if he's dragging the barricade out for this one.

Bohem is right - These nine rounds are unsupported. Pure position shooting. Standing, kneeling, prone. Loop or hasty sling okay.

Aw c'mon.... It's only 300Y at a fullsize B27 target. I'm always saying that people should practice what they are the LEAST proficient at, so here ya go.
wink.gif

I have a date request in for a clinic/match on Saturday May 28th/29th. It has not been approved yet but initial response was positive. The 28th would be a movers & holdovers clinic, and the 29th a match that exploits those skills.

I could shoot movers all day. Love it. That and UKD are my personal favorites.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and UKD are my personal favorites.

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Not sure which I like more, UKD or long range at night

Oh yeah - How could I forget about that? Suppressed at night...

Hearing that "Psshhhhh.............DING!!!!" is definitely a contender.

I retract my statement and resubmit it to include this.

--Fargo007

Looks like I have a lot of dry fire practice to do in the next week! Knowing it is a full size torso target helps, but it still doesn't make it sound easy.

Agreed on practicing what you are weakest at. But for a long time, I had a rough time getting a handle on prone shooting with a bipod. This past summer/fall I finally moved up to practicing off the bench/chair/trash can/what ever was at the range that could be used as a barricade.

i am so sad to say can't make it on this one. next month!

fargo will be shooting you a detailed pm in a day or few about our previous discussion once i have the kinks worked out in my head.

have fun guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I have a lot of dry fire practice to do in the next week! Knowing it is a full size torso target helps, but it still doesn't make it sound easy.

Agreed on practicing what you are weakest at. But for a long time, I had a rough time getting a handle on prone shooting with a bipod. This past summer/fall I finally moved up to practicing off the bench/chair/trash can/what ever was at the range that could be used as a barricade. </div></div>

You did just fine in my opinion. You were cracking some good shots out long as I remember, and you are ready to step it up. Intermediate and Advanced classes typically have a lot more emphasis on unsupported position shootng.

With the dry firing - Practice getting your sling on and into a good solid position consistently, emphasize NPOA, and shooting on the improving sight picture (squeezing as your reticle approaches the target, not after it's reached it).

At the end of the day, it's only 9 shots out of 55. You may surprise yourself....
wink.gif

In the "free advice" column... One land mine I would counsel against stepping on is worrying or obsessing about one thing at the expense of several others.....

cool.gif

--Fargo007

Love to make it but that's my anniversary and I don't think it would go over well LOL Have fun. See you in June.

Understood on your free advice. At this point, all I can really do is dry fire regular prone and the 3 position. If I divide my time among those positions evenly, I don't think I'll be digging myself into a hole. It's no different than blowing a shot in F-class, put it behind you and move on to the next shot.

I've never had a chance to shoot movers before. Aside from reading the online lesson for movers again, is there anything I can do to prep for movers without actually having movers? Seems like I'll be using the JBM data for lead for a starting point, and trying to correct based on splash?

My lack of experience isn't going to prevent me from coming out. There is no other way to get that experience. For me, the key is to learn as much as I can while I'm there and have fun doing it.

I should know by Monday if I can make this or not. The weather is looking quite bad for more snowmobiling at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've never had a chance to shoot movers before. Aside from reading the online lesson for movers again, is there anything I can do to prep for movers without actually having movers? Seems like I'll be using the JBM data for lead for a starting point, and trying to correct based on splash?

</div></div>

best thing to practice movers dry-

take the bolt out of your gun.

find a window where you won't be obvious if you ahve neighbors. practice tracking anyhting with your crosshairs that is moving. dogs, walking geese, whatever you have around. If you have a fluid motion with the target, your odds go way up. no lock time to account for, and no trying to be perfect-and rush the trigger as the object comes into view. just lead it by what you feel you need to (JBM is a good start), and press the trigger.

for 150 and under "aim at hair not air" (don't completely leave your target)

over 200 you will start shooting a bit into the air in front.

say JBM tells you 6 moa lead at 200 yards. sounds like a ton right!? its only a foot or so. doesn't take as much as most think, esp for walkers

For a while I shot a lot of skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays. I'll have to hope that some of that carries over. "Same but different" sort of thing.

Hey --Fargo007 just picked up 4 new 3/8" RHA plates (full size IPSC) I also have the 2x4 square tube for the mounting brackets. Do you need them before the 13th or do you just want me to bring them on the 13th?

Also what does my .308 AR 24" classify as DMR?

Just bring those the day of. We will work on the club steel that's already up for this match.

Actually a .308 would put you in precision. DMR class is ONLY for scoped .223's.

--Fargo007

Re: NHRPC Gap PA Precision, SDM, & carbine matche 3/13

What will the maximum allowed caliber be? And are there velocity caps? I would like to shoot my 6.5mm wildcat. Slightly under 300 win mag capacity. Is this ok? I will be shooting non-bonded not plastic tipped hunting bullets, Berger vlds.

Traditionally no magnums are allowed, but if you are willing to guarantee you will replace the steel if you ruin it, or hoof it out there and repair a target it you knock it off the mount then I have no problem with them.

--Fargo007

As far as energy/ knockof targets off stands im not worried. I have punched a 3-8" full size Idpa at 200yards, because it was close and couldn't swing. Other than that it is fine, and I'll buy the target if I kill it. Any very large/heavy targets within 250yards?

Thanks,
Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How fast are the bullets going?

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Fargo007-

See his post here on his rifle:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/6-5mm-voodoo-unveiled-69499/#post484495
Looks like they are doing 3400-3600fps MV.

Question: Are these matches monthly? What is the plan for the next one? Semi-auto precision is of great interest to me, but I can't do this weekend.
thanks

Re: NHRPC Gap PA Precision, SDM, & carbine match 3/13

Oliveralan,

I'm sorry but that sort of velocity is definitely too much risk for the club steel at shorter ranges, and for the steel Mike & I own personally that we lend to the club for the matches. That, and a bullet that fast is way outside the performance envelope of the skills that a 600Y match can press.

You are as welcome as a chocolate pudding pie with cool h'whip to shoot a different rifle.

wink.gif

Yes, the matches are just about Monthly. The calendar on http://nhrpc.org is accurate. I believe there is no match in May thus far other than the night suppressed shoot, but otherwise yes. I may set up the NRA's new "National Defense Match" for May.

Putting an SDM course of fire right alongside precision has turned out to be a very popular addition indeed. I note that the SDM Class is .223 only. A semi-auto in any other caliber competes against the precision rigs.

If there is enough interest, we could easily book an all-semi precision style match - any semi-auto goes.

--Fargo007

Yes this is usually my hunting rifle, my 6.5x47L and .308 are both getting new barrels currently! This match would take about 7% of my rifle's barrel life so probably good I preserve it a little!

I'll see if I could maybe borrow a carbine (calling JamesBailey
laugh.gif
) and shoot that match instead.

Freddy, just looked at april's match and it said "WWII". is this gonna be a match bith our scoped bolt guns or something totally different. trying to make arrangements.....

The WWII theme was postponed until later on in the year. It will be a regular precision & carbine match that day.

Good catch bro. I will get that changed.

--Fargo007

hey freddy ive got a couple of larue steel targets...one popper that sits on the ground and two others that sit on posts if you would like me to bring them....i wont have to leave early this time ...lol

Thank you for the offer.

Sure, bring them up. I have the CoF laid out with the club steel, but we will deploy them in case we have a steel target problem that we aren't able to fix.

What kind of post does it work off of? tuba-four? Forba-four?

--Freddy

great match today...i had a great time... thanks to Freddy and all the ro's for a awsome day of shooting..

Indeed. I had a great time. I found out how bad I am at movers though.
eek.gif
Thanks to all that put on this match and helped out.

Yeah, maybe you didn't set the world on fire with movers, but you WERE the closest to center on the last stage, and the only one actually hitting the 3" bull at 600Y. Nice shot.

I liked that stage. You guys will see it again. ;-)

I had fun too. I wish I had gotten those last two rounds off on the 300Y popup. LOL

More lessons learned - bring at least 20 rounds extra in case a reshoot is required because of a crossfire, etc. I had just enough rounds to the single bullet... I think from this point on we will dock 50 points off the crossfiring shooter and have both that shooter and the victim re-shoot the stage.

I am trying to get a movers & holdovers clinic together in May with a match the following day. This should be a great opportunity for all to tune our skills up in these areas.

I will have the scores up NLT this evening.

I forgot to bring them with to post. I'm glad you guys from MD and NY are coming up and shooting with us. You all are good people and good competition.

I tried to give you guys as much trigger time as possible afterwards, but I had to jet.

--Fargo007

Fargo007-
please keep posting your matches/clinics on this website and/or MDShooters.com so us VA boys can come up to !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fargo007-
please keep posting your matches/clinics on this website and/or MDShooters.com so us VA boys can come up to !
</div></div>

Will do - we're happy to have you all aboard. I am working on the scores now.

April's match will be posted soon. Substantially similar to today in that it will have a precision / DMR match, and a separate CQB/Carbine one running at the other range.

--Fargo007

Great match Fred, was good to shake off the rust, see old friends and make new ones, will def be back.
Nice shooting Mike!

Yet another great match by Fargo. Always keeping us guessing. Time to start really working on those movers and pop-ups
wink.gif

My wife got her transfer, and we found a place about 30mins from the range, so you guys may be seeing more of me in the coming months.....

Hugo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet another great match by Fargo. Always keeping us guessing. Time to start really working on those movers and pop-ups
wink.gif

My wife got her transfer, and we found a place about 30mins from the range, so you guys may be seeing more of me in the coming months.....

Hugo </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NICE!!!!</span></span>

Wow, that's really great news Hugo.

I'd love to get you on the team running things in that case. I know you're into it and you've shown us you can shoot. Proximity is the final ingredient and it looks like you will be solving that.

You will make a LOT of friends really fast through the matches there. A few of the regular guys are pretty local and can help give you the lay of the land on where to go for this 'n that.

ETA: A scoring typo was corrected and changed the standings. Please check again.

The correct finish order is:

Mike
Sam
Freddy
John R
Hugo
Russ
Jake
Dennis
Ed
Scott V
Dave
Phil

--Fargo007

congrats to hugo's wife, and know i missed yall this month.

Can't wait to see you guys next month........if the clinic/match is in may.........gonna be takin two months weekends off in row! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet another great match by Fargo. Always keeping us guessing. Time to start really working on those movers and pop-ups
wink.gif

Hugo </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NICE!!!!</span></span>

Wow, that's really great news Hugo.

I'd love to get you on the team running things in that case. I know you're into it and you've shown us you can shoot. Proximity is the final ingredient and it looks like you will be solving that.

You will make a LOT of friends really fast through the matches there. A few of the regular guys are pretty local and can help give you the lay of the land on where to go for this 'n that.

ETA: A scoring typo was corrected and changed the standings. Please check again.

The correct finish order is:

Mike
Sam
Freddy
John R
Hugo
Russ
Jake
Dennis
Ed
Scott V
Dave
Phil

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Thanks Fargo. Once I get moved in and settled I'll send you a PM on how to get membership down there. One thing I will have to do is put my AR back together. I was missing that sound of that rat-tat-tat while listening to the other guys shooting yesterday.

wink.gif

Hugo

Don't forget to put on a collapsible stock, a flash hider, and a cool dozen brand new P-Mags in your hue of choice to feed it.

You are emigrating to America Sir.

We have some really nice carbine courses of fire too, and a giant 11 stage zombie match in the fall.

And plan on getting some paperwork in for a suppressor as soon as you can. We will tell you where to go. We've got members-only (and special invites) night suppressor shoots all spring-fall. These are so excellent that if they were the only reason you bought a can it would still be totally worth it. We hit the targets with a green laser designator. Hearing that pffft......DING! in the dead calm of night is awesome.

We will get you hooked up with membership very quickly. Don't worry about that.

--Fargo007

Thanks Medic... Once I'm settled in you won't have to get a hotel to come down. You can just come to the house, and bring m249 with you
wink.gif

Hugo

The award for the best nutcracking goes to Ed.

After watching another shooter run movers he exclaims:

<span style="font-style: italic">
"That last shot would-a-been <span style="font-weight: bold">GREAT</span> if the target was there...."</span>

I laughed my ass off. That was one of the best range jabs ever.

--Fargo007