• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nickel vs Brass Casings

Insayn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
DFW, Texas
I've acquired quite a few nickel casings from the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip .308's we shoot. Is this stuff suitable for reloading vs brass casings?

Re: Nickel vs Brass Casings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've acquired quite a few nickel casings from the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip .308's we shoot. Is this stuff suitable for reloading vs brass casings? </div></div>

I'll take them if you don't want them!

Here's my experience:

Ever open up an old box of surplus ammo and seen the brass turned green with corrosion? Those green spots that you don't know how deep the brass has been eaten into and whether or not the cartridge still has it's structural integrity? That corrosion from long term storage in less than optimum conditions is what I have been able to avoid using nickel plated brass.

Nickel is hard as hell and can be hell on reloading dies. Yes, nickel can ruin reloading dies. BUT, I use nickel plated brass for one very specific application. I reload the nickel plated brass to use as long term "contingency" ammo. I load them up, put a fine coat of oil on them and store them in ammo boxes for Zombie Day. So far, I have NEVER had a corrosion issue or any long term storage issues with nickel plated brass.

So, do you have a set of dies you're willing to use for nickel plated brass only? If so, mark them as such and load the nickel brass to your hearts content.

my 2 cents.