• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

nics background check. HELP

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Everytime I go to buy a firearm I get hit with a 3 day wait. The people on the phone at nics always put the seller on hold and transfer them around to different people while the guy on the phone just stares at me like I am a damn convict. I always pass the check after the 3 day wait it is just becoming a real pain in my ass! I have never had any run in with the law other than a traffic violation and can't figure this one out. I have been told the only way I can appeal something is if I get denied and there is really nothing I can do. Anyone ever had this problem? Should I get that UPIN? Any help is appreciated! Like I said its really not a big deal waiting 3 days. But if I am ever out somewhere and see something I absolutely can't live without it would be nice to leave with it and not make another damn trip.

Re: nics background check. HELP

There is probably a criminal with the same name that shows up in the computer. It just takes them three days to figure out it isn't you.

You could always get a FFL, problem solved.

i always get the three day, i always get the firearm. i just plan on the wait. i have no interest in more paperwork, or giving more info on myself, but the deal for the pin number seems to be the way to go. ive never once needed anything that i couldnt wait three days for, but thats just me

Is your state a concealed weapon permit state? if so get one or get the UPIN. Do you provide your SSN that will usualy prevent a delay if you have a common name (John Smith). When I get a delay on someone I ask the NICS operator if the customer would provide a SSN if that would help and then I get the customer to give thier number and it will usualy go right through.

Have you ever asked the FFL holder if the people at NICS give any type of explanation for the hold? It's very possible that someone with the same name and DOB or similar name and DOB has a disqualifying record.

I always give my SSN and have never been told the reason. Yea ohio is a concealed carry state. I would like to take care of this problem with the least amount of money and paperwork!

I have been on the phone with NICS many times. The first person you speak with is a calltaker/ data entry clerk. They enter the info. into the computer. If they get any kind of flag they forward the call to an FBI person who is authorized to view criminal histories and such. They usually put you on hold until they look everything over. If they can't figure out for sure if you are eligible or not, they will usually delay the transaction. They have three days to contact the ffl holder back and give a thumbs up or down to the sale. I have seen military personnel with security clearances get delayed as well as Police officers. Sometimes the officers have been involved in shootings which show up on their criminal histories and cause the FBI to take a second look. Sometimes I think they are just being lazy and don't feel like doing their job so they make the person wait. I CHL solves that problem if your state allows concealed carry.

I always get delayed for a short time, later I found out from my sheriff's dept. that I have the same name, age and general discription on a man wanted in a murder case. I found this out when getting my ccw and know of no way to fix it. My FFL guy said that they should even use my file as their screen background they use it so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever asked the FFL holder if the people at NICS give any type of explanation for the hold? It's very possible that someone with the same name and DOB or similar name and DOB has a disqualifying record. </div></div>

NICS wont give the dealer any info on the customer. If someone gets delayed or declined we give them the phone # and the NTN # the customer is the only one that NICS will talk to.

I have bought numerous pistols, rifles, shotguns in PA and never got denied ( I have never been arrested) and then went to OH to buy a rifle and got denied?

Make any sense? WTF

My brother-in-law is on the TSA watch list. Somebody considered a terrorist used his first and last name, but only middle initial, so if he flies anywhere he gets the strip search. This still happens after getting a new passport with his full middle name. I was actually suprised when he went to buy his first long gun last month and he passed the NICS check. I figured for sure he would get delayed. He lives in PA.

3 days??? Come to CALIF....mandatory 10 wait...oh...and only one handgun per 30 days....oh and there is more...no high cap mags (anything over a 10 rounder is a hi cap mag), no "evil black rifles"...well..sorta...we have to use a mag locking device and again. If you want the pistol grip, flash hider,etc., you can't use any of your old pre-ban hi cap mags.
There are only certain pistols we can have...CA. has a DOJ approved roster that says what hand guns us serfs can own...and the list goes on.

Sorry for the venting.

If it was me...I would get a UPIN.

Good luck,Stan

There is someone with my first and last name (different middle), DOB and same general description (living in a different state, though) that has a restraining order against him and it is picked up every time I try to buy a firearm and enter the country. It slows the process down (even with the different SSNs), and I've even had the State Police show up at the gun store (nice, when you have your young son with you). It always gets sorted out and they are always sympathetic when I explain, but there isn't anything you can do to change it.

That is most likely it. You might try next time to give your SSN on the 4473. It might get you by faster.

When I go pick up a gun from my FFL, I just fill out the 4473 and give him my CHL and that's it. No call or anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everytime I go to buy a firearm I get hit with a 3 day wait. The people on the phone at nics always put the seller on hold and transfer them around to different people while the guy on the phone just stares at me like I am a damn convict. I always pass the check after the 3 day wait it is just becoming a real pain in my ass! I have never had any run in with the law other than a traffic violation and can't figure this one out. I have been told the only way I can appeal something is if I get denied and there is really nothing I can do. Anyone ever had this problem? Should I get that UPIN? Any help is appreciated! Like I said its really not a big deal waiting 3 days. But if I am ever out somewhere and see something I absolutely can't live without it would be nice to leave with it and not make another damn trip.
</div></div>

Here is how NICS works, your information from 4473 is called in, your info in entered into a data base and a search in initiated, if your info gets flagged, the call is sent to an examiner. The examiner reviews your info and uses a flow chart to determine; proceed, delay, denied. At no time does the person calling in your information know the reason why.

There are many reasons to get flagged. Most of it is your information matches multiply persons or an incomplete background record. Also if you ever went through a divorce, judges can put a domestic problem to your name. If for any reason the FBI/LE did a background search for you, like LEO job applicant, Security Clearance for military, etc. you get flagged.

And, say you got a ticket or something, anything in a small town sheriff that he put into the NICS data base, sometimes the NICS examiner wants to know why and asks the sheriff why but do you think the sheriff calls back. This can flag you forever.

Also TX NICS seems to have more delays than WV or KY.

CCW permits are UPIN numbers. Anyone with a CCW permit should always list their UPIN. Basically a UPIN is a NICS background check and then the number is assigned that you passed, filling out 4473 same way but you include UPIN, the examiner will look up your UPIN and if the info on the 4473 matches your UPIN, good to go, no delays well almost. I do know of several instances that UPIN were delayed, data does not match is why and since AK is NICS exempt with CCW permit, if the sales person calls in your information and does not list UPIN, you get delayed. I know that callers can give swapped numbers, NICS can input data swapped, all sorts of issues when dealing with human input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever asked the FFL holder if the people at NICS give any type of explanation for the hold? It's very possible that someone with the same name and DOB or similar name and DOB has a disqualifying record. </div></div>

They will never tell the dealer the reason. That is between the customer and the FBI.

CCW numbers are not UPIN numbers, at least in Ohio. Having a CCW in Ohio does NOTHING for your NICS background check.

yep yep you guys covered this quite well
DLPJR and 45.308 are in for the
WIN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BeachGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CCW numbers are not UPIN numbers, at least in Ohio. Having a CCW in Ohio does NOTHING for your NICS background check.

</div></div>

Same in Kansas, my CCL # is the same as my DL# and I always get delayed. They usually call back the next day to tell my FFL to proceed. I even got on the phone with the NICS person to find out why I was being delayed and they would'nt tell me anything. I even stated the things that are on my record (nothing bad) to see if they would say yes or no to the reason I was being delayed. Still would not give out any info to me. It sucks, but, thats the way it is...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same in Kansas, my CCL # is the same as my DL# and I always get delayed. They usually call back the next day to tell my FFL to proceed. I even got on the phone with the NICS person to find out why I was being delayed and they would'nt tell me anything. I even stated the things that are on my record (nothing bad) to see if they would say yes or no to the reason I was being delayed. Still would not give out any info to me. It sucks, but, thats the way it is...</div></div>

I get delayed about 50% of the time and they always call back within 24 hours with the approval. I once called the NICS office to ask why and the lady was unbelievably rude and dismissive right off the bat. They won't tell you anything, as already mentioned. One gunshop owner told me it is delayed because I once had a SECRET clearance. Another told me I probably shared a name with a criminal. Another told me it was probably my choice in friends.

Who knows.
frown.gif

It used to happen ever time I bought a gun, for about three years. Then one day, the guy at the store walks back in 15-20 minutes and says here you go. Just like that, it was gone haven't been delayed since. I'm sure it could happen again though.

+1 on Kyshooter????? Makes no sense to me. Kind of like the stop sign violation in Kansas City that I could never get off of my driving record, even after hiring an atty., although I've never even been to Kansas City.

If it was me, I might get out of California!
Seriously, though, In Idaho a CCW works and I have never been delayed. I was kinda surprised that as a Law Enforcement officer my police ID wasn't worth squat. Not 'cause I'm special, but because they will 86 me in a heartbeat over anything that would prevent me from purchasing a weapon. Much faster than you would get a CCW revoked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BeachGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CCW numbers are not UPIN numbers, at least in Ohio. Having a CCW in Ohio does NOTHING for your NICS background check.

</div></div>

To my knowledge this is the same way for PA as well. I have a CCW and I have to run through the NICS process every time.

My FFL says I'm the record holder for how fast an approval goes through, last time it was 47s from the time he picked up the phone to the approval number was read... I timed it.

Just out of curiosity, what all is included in the background check? I have a couple things on my driving record, but that's it.

My brother in law just got denied for a couple gun buys. Seems something outstanding in FL caused the issue. He can fix it after paying a fine. The kicker is that if it wasn't for an IED, he'd still be on his tour. Its kind of a kick in the balls for a guy used to packing an M4 to get denied for a .22 rimfire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, what all is included in the background check? I have a couple things on my driving record, but that's it.</div></div>

Mental health history, criminal history, any kind of outstanding warrant, etc.

I have a guy who gets delayed everytime. We had a disscusion as to what might cause the delays, and he replied that 'back in the 70's I was charged with something-I would rather not go into what it was about- but I left the state (CA), and it never went to trial, and I was never prosecuted for it.'

I had another that had a outstanding warrant for a DUI in San Diego. Apparently, he had a class of some type that he did not attend after the conviction, which gave him the warrant. He was denied straight away, and went throught the process with the NICS appeals process. They identified the problem to him, he contacted SD, flew out to pay the fine and take the class, and then had to send all paperwork to the FBI for their review. He also applied for a UPIN, which he was given. 2 months after the initial denial, he had a letter from the FBI, with the UPIN number. He had to fill out the paperwork again, with the UPIN number, and he was GTG, and since then as well.

Another guy was denied straight away, left in a huff, and I still have his Baikal shotgun sitting in my safe over a year later. Several attempts at contacting him have failed.

Basically, anything that raises a flag with the FBI can cause a delay.

Any ffl dealer should be able to give you a UPIN packet. If not contact NICS customer service. I've had customers complete them before and it doesn't take long at all (as far as government work is concerned) for you to recieve your UPIN number which will save you from theose pesky delayed transactions.

Calling customer service and asking questions on the phone will get you no where thanks to privacy laws. All inquiries must be done in writing.

As far as listing your ccw number as a UPIN, i've never seen it done nor can I think of a time when i have had a ccw carrier delayed.

may be the store you are using. Do you always use the same dealer? I know I have bought weapons at some places and end up with the wait and then others I show up and within 10 minutes start to finish Im out the door