• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Niece 15 shooting 308 Win

nomad 1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2005
Idaho
My niece has a tag for elk hunting, could use you help on a bullet of 165 or 180 gr and some load information what ever
might work.
She is 15 maybe 110 lbs, small frame, has shot alot of 22 and 223....Shoots good yet no larger bores. Thanks....

Re: Neice 15 shooting 308 Win

Id look at the 168 grain Barnes TSX. Its a reliable expander at all velocities, so you wont have to drive them too hard. Id try it with Varget or RL15, starting in the 43.5 grain range.

I like the Barnes 168GR TTSX with 43.5 Grains of Winchester 748 at 2600 FPS with a 2.8 COAL. That is my hunting round. My wife also uses it for her hunting rifle and says it does not kick bad at all.

If you can't catch the Barnes, Nosler makes a 165 Partition that works really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any pics of this girl? </div></div>

Umm. What does that have to do with working up a 308 load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not a 110? </div></div>

A 110 will be a bit light for Elk IMO. Drive a 168 TSX or a 165 partition around 2600 fps, and with good shot placement it will put an elk down cleanly, and be easy for the young lady to shoot accurately.

Loading 165 Nosler accubond bullets..........
Thanks for the information........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomad 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loading 165 Nosler accubond bullets..........
Thanks for the information........ </div></div>

Good choice. I load the 130 grain accubonds for my uncle in his .264 Win mag, and it has performed well on elk and deer.