• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nighforce Reticle blurry

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I wanted to put this out there and see if it is just me. I have a NXS 5.5-22x50 with the NP-R1 reticle. I love the reticle and the application of it with the 1 MOA increments. The problem that I am having is that the reticle is going fuzzy / blurry a large percentage of the time and it just does not seem to be crisp and clear. Please note that I am talking about the reticle here and not the glass. I thought that since this reticle was fairly thin, that it was just me trying to get familiar with it. However, I put it to the test around dusk last night from the time that I still had plenty of light until I had no day light against 2 Leupolds, 2 Zeiss Conquests, and a Sightron SIII. The reticles on the Zeiss and SIII are just as small as the NXS, or at least close enough I can't tell the difference. All of the reticles were visible through the entire time that I was testing them with the exception of the NXS. I know that Nightforce builds quality optics, otherwise I would have never have dropped the coin on this scope. What I want to know is if this is something that I am just not getting with this scope, is it a defect in the production possibly (built 06/09) or something else. It does not make sense for me to easily be able to identify the reticle in a scope that costs half the price, or even less.

As a side note, I have also noticed that the parallax adjustment seems to do very little for image clarity right up until the end of the rotation near the infinity mark. The other scopes with the parallax adjustment seem to have a much more gradual transition through the optical clarity related to distance and parallax. It seems that the NXS is not clear and then you hit a point almost at the end of the rotation that it is clear.

You other NXS owners out there, have you had similar findings, or do I have a lemon and need to test the warranty of Nightforce.

Thanks.

Re: Nighforce Reticle blurry

Did you properly adjust the objective focus when you first got the scope?

The best way I have found to adjust the sharpness of the reticle in a scope that has illumination is to keep the front leans covered, loosen the rear dipoter, turn on the illumination, back off the rear diopter tell it gets really blurry, then turn the diopter back in as you are looking at the reticle with the illumination on turn it in tell it gets sharp, now that the reticle is sharp go past about a ¼ turn and lock the diopter in place. If you do not have illumination just look up into the sky (not at the sun) and do the same steps.

That makes sense. Does it just adjust right behind the power/magnification ring?

I also have the same problem. Mine is the 3.5-15x50.

The reticle to me appears gray, rather than black. The blocks on the outside edges are black though. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it focused right.

If I looked at it quickly, it looked focused perfectly. When I bear down on the crosshairs, it went fuzzy on me. I have had three other NF's and this never happened.

I sent it back to NF, and they said there wasn't anything wrong with it.

My favorite reticle of theirs is still the NP-1RR.

If this one had been thicker, I'd say different.

I'm gonna try shooting with it again.

--Fargo007

If your going to adjust the reticule for the NF scope.

1. Dial your scope to maximum power. Edit**** Also dial your parallax setting to enfinity.

2. Hang white piece of paper or poster board. When you looking through your scope you should see nothing but white. (do this on a clear day outside)

3. Unlock locking ring.

4. Focus reticule at the white paper.

5. Secure locking ring.

The parallax on the NF is very touchy. A little movement does a lot.

Had the same issues with my NF, this solved it.

Hope this helps,
-.brian

don't listen to all the above posts....you got a lemon due for re-cycling....i'll give you 100.00 for that pos , and make sure it goes away so you don't have to strain your eyes anumore....its the right thing to do....send it to me BOLTRIPPER and i'll take care of things.....

As Brian said above, but make sure you are looking through the scope with both eyes open. This will keep your eye from adjusting focus.
John III

fargooo7,

What you are describing is exactly what I have been dealing with. The boxes on the end of the reticle are darker, and the crosshairs just don't seem to focus. If I glance away when I am looking through the scope and then quickly look back, it appears to focus, however, if I don't pull the trigger fairly quickly, it becomes blurry. I have even tried shooting with both eyes open, but to little avail. I think some of the other guys recommendation of trying to adjust the objective is going to help. Glad to know I am not the only one that has experienced this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far out should the paper be?? 100 yds. or so?
LG </div></div>

I believe I set the white poster board at 50 yards or less in my back yard. You want the white poster board to fill your entire scope. When you have nothing but white poster board appearing in your scope you will be able to tune the cross hairs to perfect clarity.

Just follow the steps I gave you and add this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Brian said above, but make sure you are looking through the scope with both eyes open. This will keep your eye from adjusting focus.
John III </div></div>

I apologize I forgot about the two eyes open, this is how I shoot all the time so I have a tendency to forget about the two eye deal.

If your reticle seems to be in focus when you first look through the scope and then gets blurry you are experiencing eyestrain that is being brought on by an out of focus reticle.

Take the time to learn how to properlly focus your reticle, then do it. You'll probably find that your problem has gone away.

This is no knock on you, but I'm always amazed by the folks who buy high-end optics but don't learn how to get the most out of them. But this forum is a great place to learn. Your NXS has a very broad range of reticle adjustment, probably more than most scopes do. That alone can confuse the new user.
smile.gif

Dang nabit,

Another thing I forgot to mention.

When your adjusting the ring that controls the reticule refinement it will take many, many turns to see any difference in the reticule.

The reticle adjustment is less obvious on the NXS than say the Zeiss Conquest IMO. That is probably why I missed it. I do appreciate the comments though. This little faux paux has certainly reminded me of you much I still have to learn.

Just tried Boone's trick listed above with my "brand new" NF NP-R2
3.5-15x50. I didn't use a white poster board but did use the neighbors off white brick on the side of their houe. (the scope isn't mounted yet, don't worry). Even going about this "half assed" I noticed a significant difference in reticle focus. As always thanks for the advise from the guys that know way more than me and are willing to share. I can't wait to get this rifle set up. I've got A Rem. LTR 308 with a Warne base and some Warne mounts coming. eyeing some Badger mounts also. This gun shot lights out with a leup. variX III 4.5-14x50, hoping it will be even better. will post pics later. thanks again for the great info

An FYI, when you focus a reticle don't watch it while you focus it... your eye will adjust to it without achieving 100% focus.

So, look, if its not immediately focused, back off, turn the focus ring, or rear ocular, <span style="font-style: italic">(with a NF or Leupold they are twice as fine as a European scope so turn it at least a full turn)</span> and then look back and check it again. If its good, lock it down, if not back off and try again.

I sure am glad a asked this question about the reticle here. The advice that you gave was dead on. The reticle is clear as can be now. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An FYI, when you focus a reticle don't watch it while you focus it... your eye will adjust to it without achieving 100% focus.

So, look, if its not immediately focused, back off, turn the focus ring, or rear ocular, <span style="font-style: italic">(with a NF or Leupold they are twice as fine as a European scope so turn it at least a full turn)</span> and then look back and check it again. If its good, lock it down, if not back off and try again. </div></div>

This is the best advice so far. Your eye will naturally try to compensate by focuing that which is out of focus. That is why you stated that it (the reticle) was in focus but when you went back down it was blurry again.