• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Force 5.5-22x56 mounting predicament on my new gap, ??need impute on sunshade??

Jabronie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Montana
just got my new gap today and tried mounting my night force 5.5-22x56mm scope with seekins 30mm medium rings. The scope just touches the barrel when mounted so it is a given that I need to trade for higher rings where I run into a predicament is with my night vision mount I had installed. do I go with the next height and forgo the sunshade for most comfort, or do I go with AR height rings to utilize the sunshade. I am not sure if their is enough of an advantage to have a sunshade at the cost of the extra height, I would appreciate impute on the issue.

thanks mike

Last edited:
I just mounted a new NF ATACR on my Defiance build, I have all of .030" between the shade and the barrel. I'm going to have to go with slightly taller rings if I want to use a flip up cap up front.
I'm in the same situation.

I had to take my front rail off for nv too on my gap. Ended up getting taller rings. That fixed all the problems.

I would just run it w/o the shade for a better cheek weld

With the high rings you may already need a stock pack to get a good cheek weld. If that's the case then you're one mouse pad away from a proper check weld with the next higher rings that will let you use the sunshade. Try dummying up the height and see where it falls. If it were me and the stock worked (no stock pack) with the high rings I'd forgo the sunshade. If I had to use a stock pack to get on the high rings I'd go ahead and use the extra high rings and have the option to use the sunshade.

I do not own night vision yet so the rail is more or less for an aesthetic purpose at this point. I think I have come to the conclusion to go with high rings and run it without the sunshade and remove the rail when I need the sunshade.

Different manufacturers have diff heights could u use badger or leupy or Nightforce so u don't have to make a big jump to the next Seekins height?

With a 56 mm scope objective and 20 MOA base, 1.00" [med/high] Badger or NF rings should give you a few mm clearance from the barrel with the sunshade attached, which is fine for shooting, but not enough for a lens cap. If using the "bra" that came with the scope, I generally find it necessary to cut off a small section of the rubber bead that runs around the edge of the objective cover so it will fit with the sunshade attached when using 1.00" rings. The 0.85" [medium] rings will probably have the scope bell touching the barrel as you described, and that's if you are even able fully seat it in the mount...definitely a no-no. Badger or NF 1.125" rings will give a lot of clearance, plenty for either a lens cap or the unmodified bra that came with the scope. However, you may find it necessary to add some height to the comb and/or buttstock cover to maintain proper cheekweld when using 1.125" rings.

Last edited:
Have the same scope, sir - Zero stop on these puppies is AWESOME.

That being said, I don't use sunshades -- Instead, I'd suggest getting a tenebraex...I've never been a fan.

Have one on my NM and I lose no clarity/visibility etc...

They're like $50-$100 -- Very much worth the investment.

Have the same scope, sir - Zero stop on these puppies is AWESOME.

That being said, I don't use sunshades -- Instead, I'd suggest getting a tenebraex...I've never been a fan.

Have one on my NM and I lose no clarity/visibility etc...

They're like $50-$100 -- Very much worth the investment.

I was wondering which one you use that fits the NF 5.5-22x56, I am not going to have a lot of room to spare do tenebaex have the same outside diameter as the scopes outside diameter?

Try not to get you scope any higher from your bore than is absolutely necessary!