• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Force: Be Honest

I've never seen a first focal plane NXS. Where do you get those?

They’re discontinued and rare, but come up used. IMO a very good optic for what they are, depending on what you want out of it.

Weren't those the correct optic for the xm-3 too? I think that definitely wouldn't help the used prices.

My beef with NF is non-locking elevation turrets. I wish NF would just license the Leupold MK 5 turret for all of their scopes. That Beast thing looked like a pretty overly complicated design.

For those who don’t know, the lore is: NF made the 4-16 Atacr with the locking turret and Leupold sued. They must’ve come to an agreement to allow its design for just that scope.

Note that I haven’t personally checked out the truth of the “lore”.

Reactions: 912173
My beef with NF is non-locking elevation turrets. I wish NF would just license the Leupold MK 5 turret for all of their scopes. That Beast thing looked like a pretty overly complicated design.

For those who don’t know, the lore is: NF made the 4-16 Atacr with the locking turret and Leupold sued. They must’ve come to an agreement to allow its design for just that scope.

Note that I haven’t personally checked out the truth of the “lore”.
If only Leupold would offer the HTMR reticle option for all their VX5HD-VX6HD man, that would be the mutt's nuts.

1697557569604.png

I have several NF scopes. NXS, NX8, SHV....
The NXS scopes I have, I dislike the rotating ocular when zooming. Other than that, I have no complaints, not even with their customer service.
MANY years ago, I purchased an NXS 5.5-22 with the Velocity 1000 reticle. I forget which flavor as far as velocity factor. It worked ok for the 280 Ackley I put it on but then I changed bullets and the velocity was wrong. Reticle was pretty much useless. Hazen Lane was on my commute to work so I stopped in and asked if they could just put in a regular reticle. Not only could they, they did it while I waited AND did it for no charge. No complaints from me.

Comparing Nightforce to Nike is completely unfair, since the latter makes fancy-looking junk in low-cost countries that begins to fall apart upon first use, while Nightforce is basically the opposite. Think of Nightforce scopes as being much more along the lines of a Toyota Land Cruiser - not particularly feature-rich, infrequently updated, expensive, but bombproof and the choice of those who simply need their stuff to work.

I've owned somewhere around 30-40 Nightforce scopes over the past 15 or so years. Couldn't tell you anything about their customer service because I've never had to use it.

There are plenty of good vendors who can provide deals at far less than MSRP/MAP if you give them a call. I particularly like Euro Optic's "like new demo" scopes (if you know, you know).

I've never seen a first focal plane NXS. Where do you get those?

Gotta go back several years, but they existed:

Had a few of 'em with mildot and H58 reticles, and they worked well. If updated with a Mil-XT reticle then I'd probably run one on a .223 or .308 just like the good ol' days.

Is there some new NF scope coming out? I have seen like twelve 4-16 atacrs get sold here like the labradars and sico radius lrfs
Seems like a good bet. Everyone selling looks to be industry connected.
Maybe ZCO is coming out with their crossover MPVO at Shot Show.... Maybe NF is debuting a series of FFP NXS'...
I love a good rumor.;)

You can get bullet proof tracking, durability, and reliability from $1200 to $1500 optics from multiple scope makers. Nightforce isn't the only scope maker that knows how to make a durable scope.

The $1500 to $2200 price point is the best value option in optics. There are optics that are rock solid in every category in this price point. After that, the value of your money spent is a diminishing return for marginally better glass.

I think the ATACR is absolutely one of the worst values over $3k. Glass is on par with a lot of $2k optics, but their name nets them another $1000. The GIII Razor, Zeiss S3 LRP, XTR Pro, XRSIII, Toric, or Stryker are all within a hair, as good, or even better for $800 to $1500 less money.

Last edited:
NF seems to have a good reputation. I bought a 7-35 ATACR F1 years ago, but ultimately preferred TT. Nothing wrong with the NF, per se. But I preferred the reticle in the TT and there were some other features I liked more. Even though the TT is way more expensive, it was worth it to me. I wouldn't fault NF in any way. Just depends on the features you like.

Nothing wrong with NF but they are kind of overpriced and the glass is meh. I'll take my Leica 5-30x56 over my buddy's ATACR 5-25x56 any day of the week. Also I've compared my chinesium Athlon ETR 3-18x50 UHD to the NX8 2.5-20x50 and I'll also take the Athlon which is about 50% cheaper.

I am about to purchase a NF scope. I have put them off because I think they are the NIKE of scopes. I mean to say, paying more than for name than actual performance. I mean not to deprecate the brand, or the buyers of the brand. I just want to know is "Juice worth the Squeeze?"
All opinions aside, is nightforce WORTH the squeeze is all up to the individual.
Nightforce is very good optically, but not the best, and they seem to work well in low light conditions.

But what makes Nightforce scopes so durable is a a variety of factors, a couple that they have been open about.

Each objective lens assembly is threaded to perfectly match its scope body, actually the threads are tight to get together. A slow tedious process.

The critical parts in the turrets are also threaded, then hand lapped for a perfect fit. If those matching parts get damaged or separated they go in the scrap.

If you know anything about threads you can see the need for this and how tedious it can be. Whereas many scope brands rely on o rings or springs to control thread play.

Then after final assembly, each and every scope (except the SHV) is tested for tracking, and zero impact shift, and other things.

Combine that with USA testing on ALL the scopes and USA manufacturing on some of the models, you can see why they cost what they do.

Jeff Huber was one of the key people with nightforce since the 90s. Now he is with ZCO. So i would go out on a limb and assume ZCO is just as reliable and durable, due to Jeff’s involvement.
Difference being, ZCO has much better glass (oops this is an option 🤪)

That’s my story and I sticking to it. 😜

Last edited:
You can get bullet proof tracking, durability, and reliability from $1200 to $1500 optics from multiple scope makers. Nightforce isn't the only scope maker that knows how to make a durable scope.

The $1500 to $2200 price point is the best value option in optics. There are optics that are rock solid in every category in this price point. After that, the value of your money spent is a diminishing return for marginally better glass.

I think the ATACR is absolutely one of the worst values over $3k. Glass is on par with a lot of $2k optics, but their name nets them another $1000. The GIII Razor, Zeiss S3 LRP, XTR Pro, XRSIII, Toric, or Stryker are all within a hair, as good, or even better for $800 to $1500 less money.
Kind of disagree, I have a number of Nightforce ATACR 7-35s and 2 ZCO 527s had one of each at the range a couple of weekends ago and to be honest the glass was equal. Do I like the ZCO, sure it has great turrets and such, but the Nightforce has better illumination and equal glass. I kow I will not be replacing any of my ATACRs!

Reactions: Makinchips208
Kind of disagree, I have a number of Nightforce ATACR 7-35s and 2 ZCO 527s had one of each at the range a couple of weekends ago and to be honest the glass was equal. Do I like the ZCO, sure it has great turrets and such, but the Nightforce has better illumination and equal glass. I kow I will not be replacing any of my ATACRs!

This is interesting considering the ZCO’s get touted really hard. I’ve been considering a 4-20 but for the price and the fact I get no discount on them but I do with NF I can nearly buy two of the NF’s I’m looking at for the cost of the ZCO.

How does the parallax and DOF compare on them? My experience with NF’s has been that the parallax is usually on infinity for me by 300 yards and anything beyond that if could really use more adjustment.

This is interesting considering the ZCO’s get touted really hard. I’ve been considering a 4-20 but for the price and the fact I get no discount on them but I do with NF I can nearly buy two of the NF’s I’m looking at for the cost of the ZCO.

How does the parallax and DOF compare on them? My experience with NF’s has been that the parallax is usually on infinity for me by 300 yards and anything beyond that if could really use more adjustment.
Most likely the diopter can use some tweaking then.

I want to see a flag-football game between the ZCO lovers and the NF fans.

I’d settle for a thread-war. 🍿
I’d be down for that! Except what side do I pick? I like many brands!

Reactions: Glassaholic

I’m by no means an optic snob or expert but I did a side by side with my 527 and 735 in low light. Also added the Arken EP5.

Most likely the diopter can use some tweaking then.

Been there done that. My current NXS 2.5-10x42 is the same way and I’ve adjusted the diopter many times using both the sky and the wall method and always end up with the same result.

I’m by no means an optic snob or expert but I did a side by side with my 527 and 735 in low light. Also added the Arken EP5.

I’ll check that out.

Reactions: Makinchips208
735 is a different aninal

My ZCO 420s and 527s blow my 525/ 4-16s / 2.5-20s out the water.

Used minox for $2000 is the best value out there.

Great reticles and turrets. Close to or the best glass quality

Reactions: Glassaholic
I’ve bought and sold and bought again. I always come back to Nightforce. I’ve used the warranty on a 4-16 and the process was nothing short of what one should expect. They are not the best glass. That’s not their market.
That wasn't my experience with warranty. They did fix it and did it quickly but they basically told me if it happened again I was on my own, as if I did something to it. The scope was brand new, just mounted and not even shot. Not my idea of good CS. Every scope out there has some that have issues, literally all of them. How they handle the issues is where it's at and I'm a glass snob too so

Reactions: GhostFace
Comparing Nightforce to Nike is completely unfair, since the latter makes fancy-looking junk in low-cost countries that begins to fall apart upon first use, while Nightforce is basically the opposite. Think of Nightforce scopes as being much more along the lines of a Toyota Land Cruiser - not particularly feature-rich, infrequently updated, expensive, but bombproof and the choice of those who simply need their stuff to work.

Exactly this. I bought my first Nightforce, a Benchrest model, in the late 90s, and am still using it to this day. Since then I have purchased several more and they are all still working like new.

They aren't always leading edge when it comes to features but they seem to be reliable and hold their value.

Reactions: oldrifleman

Stop pussy footing around and get one of those on sale at x for 4200 and a ZCO 420 off the for sale section for $3000

Super cheap. Almost free.

And perfection. Like glock but for rifles

• Haha
Reactions: YotaEer and Bakwa
Had NF in the past. Have just one ATACR currently. There’s better out there in my opinion, but those cost more. If you’re sure you want NF, get an ATACR, and look for prices that are 20 - 25% off retail, IMO.

I do agree that a Gen 2 ATACR needs to get rolled out.

Also agree that the ZCO420 is the right way to live life.

I'd say of you aren't going to go zco or TT, then get a used kahles 525i. Best bang for the buck out there imo, and their set up is fantastic, also great reticles.

Reactions: kriller134
This forum has a severe fetish for 'glass'. You guys wax long over optical qualities like a bunch of beard twirling hipsters at a brewery sampling craft beer. As if any optic costing over 1000usd and made in the last 5 years has such bad optical quality that it will not allow you see your target at any reasonable and realistic distance.

The optic is the most delicate part of a rifle. It is the weakest link in your shooting system other than youself. Get one that is widely reputed to hold zero and track accurately in all conditions and use cases. Draw your own conclusions on what company(s)that might be.

Scopes are for aiming, binoculars and spotting scopes are for observing.

A wise man once said “eyes are like assholes…”, oh wait, that might have been opinions but both sayings ring true. If you have a chance to check out the scopes before you buy that’s going to be the best way to go about choosing the right one for you.

I bought an S&B for my last rifle, love the scope, to my eyes it has great clarity, easy to look through for long range sessions. Got bit by the NF bug and thought “I must be missing out” so I picked up a 7-35 ATACR F1. I wasn’t really impressed, to me the S&B has better glass. The S&B stayed on the rifle and the NF is still un mounted sitting on the shelf, maybe it will grow on me once I get it on a rifle. I don’t have the luxury of being able to go down to a store front and check out glass (besides some leupolds at one shop no one carries any glass on the island) so I have to do the “pay to play” method with scopes. At least it’s only a small hit I take if I decide I don’t like a scope and post it up on the PX, I just consider the loss a rental fee.

If I were in your shoes I’d be looking for a lightly used ZCO in the PX, that’s probably going to give you the best bang for your buck for an upper tier scope.

Reactions: YotaEer
The parallax is WAY off (apparently this is a NF thing,
Literally no manufacturers markings line up and most are labeled in meters. You should be adjusting it while looking thru the scope. So who cares what the knob says?

Amazing turrets? Pretty much meh turrets in my experience. They work fine but nothing great about the feel or tactile adjustment. The zero stop is a huge pain in the ass.

I don’t hate NF but these 2 features you mention are not strong points for them.
The turrets are amazing,

Literally no manufacturers markings line up and most are labeled in meters. You should be adjusting it while looking thru the scope. So who cares what the knob says?

Amazing turrets? Pretty much meh turrets in my experience. They work fine but nothing great about the feel or tactile adjustment. The zero stop is a huge pain in the ass.

I don’t hate NF but these 2 features you mention are not strong points for them.
Well literally my Kahles and Burris markings line up in the proper ranges. And my ATACR F1 is sitting around the 60 mark to clear up at 100, so… I’d say that’s pretty far off. And the ATACR F1 that I have has pretty nice turrets. And I’m not a NF fanboy either, just pointing out my experiences.