• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night force Beast vs Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm M5B2

djb_lr

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
I'm having a custom rifle built and have narrowed my scope choices down to the Night force Beast and the Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm M5B2
with the horus Tremor 2 reticle. Does anybody have experiences/opinions/preferences they can share. This will serve as both my hunting and competition
rifle. Typical match ranges are from 800 to 1500 meters. The new scope will be a replacement for an NF-NSX 5.5-22x56.

First off, the Mk8 is available now and the BEAST you will have to wait for all the backorders to be filled first before you can get one. I have the Mil-R BEAST on backorder for about 7 months now. I chose the BEAST after my hundreds of hours of research. I have looked through the Mk8 and it was a good scope but in my opinion overpriced. The illumination is a bunch of dots along the reticle and not full illumination like the BEAST. I have also seen a few Mk8 scopes that had the reticle mounted off to the left or right and not centered. You could send it to Leupold for repairs; but after $4700, it should be mounted centered. The BEAST is $3783, and in my opinion a much better value. Leupold raised the prices on the Mk8 about $1000 in January and was a BAD move if you ask me. This is just my .02

First off, the Mk8 is available now and the BEAST you will have to wait for all the backorders to be filled first before you can get one. I have the Mil-R BEAST on backorder for about 7 months now. I chose the BEAST after my hundreds of hours of research. I have looked through the Mk8 and it was a good scope but in my opinion overpriced. The illumination is a bunch of dots along the reticle and not full illumination like the BEAST. I have also seen a few Mk8 scopes that had the reticle mounted off to the left or right and not centered. You could send it to Leupold for repairs; but after $4700, it should be mounted centered. The BEAST is $3783, and in my opinion a much better value. Leupold raised the prices on the Mk8 about $1000 in January and was a BAD move if you ask me. This is just my .02

Schmidt & Bender started the insane price hiking a couple of years ago. Scopes that were $3200.00 went to $3900.00...WITH NO CHANGE TO THE SCOPE. My numbers are meant to be illustrative only; I don't know the actual price hikes by S&B that resulted rifle scopes breaking the $4K ceiling.

The beast is better. I've had both. Mk8 is a huge leap forward for leupold but the beast is a more refined optic.

alman1531, Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. FYI, I spoke with optics planet earlier today. They have the NF-beast with the mil-r (NF-RS-BEAST-C448) reticle - $ 3299and the Tremor 2 (NF-RS-BEAST-C489) $3783 shipping immediately.

The Tremor2 in the Beast is not fully illuminated, just a few places down the center post.