• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Force NXS NPR2 Reticle

Boxerglocker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
Can any of you guys with experience with this reticle give some input on it's advantages and disadvantages please?

I have a lead on a local sale for NF NXS 8-32 with .25 MOA adjustments for $1000.

I need more magnification for my R700 SPS Tactical in .223 this gun is used for mainly range at 200 and the occasional 600 yard local monthly bench rest match. I do want to get into F T/R next year.

Re: Night Force NXS NPR2 Reticle

IMO, the NPR1 or MOAR reticle would be a better choice. If the scope is in good shape get it. You can always sell it if it doesn't work for you.

You also might want to check out the Sightron SIII series 8-32x. They are really good scopes that can be had for around 1k BNIB. it would be a great benchrest scope.

For $1k...it is a damn good deal regardless of the reticle.
wink.gif
If you get it and don't like it, the resale value will be at least what you paid for it if not more.

That said, the NP-R2 reticle is not a bad reticle at all as it is very clean and simple to use, but can be a PITA for ranging and for using holdovers because of the relatively coarse (2MOA elevation and 5MOA windage) markings on the reticle. That is where the NP-R1 and MOAR reticles shine because of their more precise elevation and windage markings (1MOA/2MOA on the R1 and 1MOA/1MOA on the MOAR). If you are dialing all of your adjustments, then I'd jump on the NF deal and not think twice...otherwise, it is your call as to whether the NP-R2 is right for you.

I purchased a R1 version a couple of weeks ago, its user friendly. A 8-32x56 is a big scope it may make the gun feel a bit unbalanced.

For $1000? Why the hell is this even a question? If you don't want it, give me the contact details and I'll snatch it up.

For what you are looking to do with it, the NP-R2 is a great choice. The NP-R2 is a pretty popular choice with the target shooting crowd, and one of the few MOA reticles Nightforce offers in their Benchrest scopes.

Even at $1000, you could spend the couple hundred and get the reticle swapped at a later date, AND still be ahead.

And you're sure it's an NXS and not a Benchrest scope?

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For $1000? Why the hell is this even a question? If you don't want it, give me the contact details and I'll snatch it up. </div></div>
It's a question cause I'm not familiar with the NF range of reticles. I realize based on retail its a great deal, but this is a buddy price being offered and I'm not one to abuse the offered genorousity of a acquaintance. If I can't use it myself, I would rather politely say no thank you than buy it and be accused of just flipping it for profit.
Yes I am sure it's a NXS as he is also offering up a Bench rest 8-32 to me as an option for $850 also with a NPR2 reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boxerglocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For $1000? Why the hell is this even a question? If you don't want it, give me the contact details and I'll snatch it up. </div></div>
It's a question cause I'm not familiar with the NF range of reticles. I realize based on retail its a great deal, but this is a buddy price being offered and I'm not one to abuse the offered genorousity of a acquaintance. If I can't use it myself, I would rather politely say no thank you than buy it and be accused of just flipping it for profit.
Yes I am sure it's a NXS as he is also offering up a Bench rest 8-32 to me as an option for $850 also with a NPR2 reticle.

</div></div>
I have that same scope that you are looking at (32 power NPR2 NXS) on one of my rifles and you can easily shoot 600 yard FTR with it. For that price, jump on it! I much rather the NXS over the benchrest model.

Yup and if you don't like it, you can send it to NF and have them put in the reticle of your choosing...

I have the NPR2 in mine. Wish it was the NPR1, but for a $1000?? No brainer, BUY IT!! If you absolutly hate it, send it in and have NF change the reticle...

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the insights and have already committed to the seller in buying the NXS 8-32. I'll be heading up north later this week from my location 30 miles of so to check it out in person and hopefully handing the cash over. I'll post my personal feedback after the weekend when I plan to get it mounted and zeroed, maybe even post a pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boxerglocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Guys. I appreciate the insights and have already committed to the seller in buying the NXS 8-32. I'll be heading up north later this week from my location 30 miles of so to check it out in person and hopefully handing the cash over. I'll post my personal feedback after the weekend when I plan to get it mounted and zeroed, maybe even post a pic. </div></div>

Damn good deal and a good decision on your part...you won't be disappointed in the least!!

Well the anxiety of getting this thing now, with all you guys high recommendations got to me this afternoon. I gave the seller a call and made arrangements to pick it up, right after work. Here it is...
392536_269028719883664_1510636803_n.jpg

Got it mounted on my TPS "low" rings, and bore sighted ready to go. It came with a set of Leupold medium QD rings as well that I'll save for a later build for my kids with the SS 10X I took off. I can't believe the clarity of this glass, the SS is pretty good but this NF is definitely a few grades higher. The magnification is just awesome and the illuminated reticle is gonna be real nice to have on winter days with over cast here in the Seattle area. I won't have to quit shooting 30 minutes before everyone else. Can't wait to zero this thing in Thursday afternoon.

227939_270412883078581_1288401752_n.jpg

Just wanted to share the results of my jump to the NF, beat my personal best this weekend 5 shots .281 MOA at 100 yards and inside .5 MOA all day long at 200 yards.

Load is a 55g Nosler Ballistic tip, 24.8g H-335, Federal match primer 2.220 OAL using twice fired Remington brass neck sized to 0.002 tension.