• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes night force ring height question

Lacajon

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2017
North Louisiana
So my rifle is a mod 700 with a Stiller tac 30 action with 20 MOA rail. I will be mounting a NF 6 X 32 NXS . What height rings will I need.
Thx

There is some information missing from your scope description. Hopefully you can fill that in so we can be sure of what you have. In the mean time, I'll offer a few suggestions:

If you have anything smaller than a Sendero profile barrel, the Nightforce .885" rings (or something similar) will work with almost any scope that has a 30mm tube.

If you have a heavier barrel, you may need to go higher.

If your gun is in a chassis that goes over the barrel or has a continuous rail, your rings will need to be 1.375" or higher.

So my rifle is a mod 700 with a Stiller tac 30 action with 20 MOA rail. I will be mounting a NF 6 X 32 NXS . What height rings will I need.
Thx

No such scope exists. I assume you mean 8-32x56?
Also, if its a tac 30 then its not a 700. Same foot print but not the same action.

So as phlegm said: what barrel profile do you have and what is the height of your rail? In any case something about 1" tall should work unless you have a ar style full length rail on top.

Yes my bad 8x32x56......Remington varmint taper. I believe as phlemh said the Nightforce .885 would probably work

8-32x56 an an objective outer diameter of 65mm which is 2.56"

For the amount under the center line of the scope that we need to account for we need to half that 2.56/2=1.28"

I guess that the rail is .3" tall (You can measure and account for whatever the difference is) 1.28-.3=.98"

A remington action is 1.348" in diameter so half of that is .674 for the measurement over bore line. Not a stiller but it is a replica afterall.
Your varmint is about .95" @4.35" down the barrel according to bartleins contour chart so half of that is .475 for height over bore center.
Your barrel below action height is .674-.475=.199"

So .98-.199=.781" of height you will need.

A butler creek cap is .07" so .781+.07=.851" if you want to run caps. Keep in mind that these are absolute minimums, youll want a bit of space between the two, I like a tenth of an inch myself at least. Add in the cant and maybe a bit more.

The nightforces listed would seem to be fine but close. Id go for the 1" ones myself.

Excellent guys !!! Greatly appreciated. Now I can order with out worrying. Wouldn't mind helping out the local gun store but they have mostly cheap stuff from China. What good quality stuff they have is mark up close to double what I can order it for.