• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night range finding

Squibbler

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Does anybody have a solution for accurate range finding for distance at night? I'm starting to do more night varmint hunting. Last night I iced a raccoon at 430yds but trying to get an accurate range in the dark with a small window of opportunity was proving to be difficult. So, right now I'm crying I missed the sale Brownells had this summer on the Silencerco radius to be able to try that out. From what I hear they are not making them anymore...damn. So, any other options?

Does anybody have a solution for accurate range finding for distance at night? I'm starting to do more night varmint hunting. Last night I iced a raccoon at 430yds but trying to get an accurate range in the dark with a small window of opportunity was proving to be difficult. So, right now I'm crying I missed the sale Brownells had this summer on the Silencerco radius to be able to try that out. From what I hear they are not making them anymore...damn. So, any other options?
Try turning the brightness to low on the LRF and put it in front of the objective lens of your night scope.

A Sig Kelo in front of a PVS 14, dead on every time. Your other options are a range card with different weigh points. If you grid square the A/O in 25yd increments in daylight an add or use markers many times you can be with in a few yds of actual with practice.

As MD1960 says depending your scopes power you can do that, this is where less is more really pays off.

A Sig Kelo in front of a PVS 14, dead on every time. Your other options are a range card with different weigh points. If you grid square the A/O in 25yd increments in daylight an add or use markers many times you can be with in a few yds of actual with practice.

As MD1960 says depending your scopes power you can do that, this is where less is more really pays off.

for static environments that works. not so much otherwise.

fast flat cartridge and a nice mpbr zero along with knowing your optics well enough to gauge range by resolution of target is very effective as well.

I use a LaserWorks LRNV009 Multifunction Ranging Vision. They are awesome and easy to use. You should check them out.

Try turning the brightness to low on the LRF and put it in front of the objective lens of your night scope.

I don't have NV. I'm running a day optic with LED hunting light. Been impressed with the LED, was able to see my steel plates at 1100yd with it last night.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew

My buddy and I hit too many different farms and places to map out. For example we might hit 5-6 different farms a night coyote hunting and many of them I've never set foot on before.

I don't have NV. I'm running a day optic with LED hunting light. Been impressed with the LED, was able to see my steel plates at 1100yd with it last night.
Well you might want to try using a red filter or use an NV with a high powered UV flashlight, but never use the UV F/L in a danger zone even when they are built in to the NV it's self.

for static environments that works. not so much otherwise.

fast flat cartridge and a nice mpbr zero along with knowing your optics well enough to gauge range by resolution of target is very effective as well.

It's a good point. It's what I've been thinking too. A part of me is still a traditionalist that says .308 does all. So, I'm prob gonna go 6.5 Creed, 260 in an AR 10 or stay bolt with a 6.5prc. Last night I tried getting an accurate reticle measurement, But a small animal-raccoon at distance, thats moving around in corn field stubble at night with my gun on tripod in zero degree weather was proving to be beyond my capabilities. And I couldn't tell his approximate dimensions if he was a large or small raccoon.

Goal is to be confident to 600yd in dark on small targets--varmints.

I use a LaserWorks LRNV009 Multifunction Ranging Vision. They are awesome and easy to use. You should check them out.

Thanks for suggestion. I checked out. What are your experiences with the unit? What's it capable of? Not sure if it has enough HP for what I need.

Well you might want to try using a red filter or use an NV with a high powered UV flashlight, but never use the UV F/L in a danger zone even when they are built in to the NV it's self.

Thank you for suggestion on NV. I'm going to check into further. Right now been considering some good thermal because it looks more promising for hunting live game.

Thank you for suggestion on NV. I'm going to check into further. Right now been considering some good thermal because it looks more promising for hunting live game.
Well a thermal won't be as clear and a NV just something to bare in mind while your looking,

good luck.

John.

Never used a night vision but a Silenco Radius can be set up with a scope. When you see the target in scope, push a button to get the range on Radius.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
I'm back on the hunt for a radius. If anybody knows where I could get one let me know. Would even consider used if the seller is trustworthy. Even called Silencerco to see if by chance they had any laying around yet.

I put mine in the xchange.
It wasn’t the reason for my answer though.
I bought mine for the exact capability I mentioned. But I found no real usage scienario for me because I don’t hunt.
Here in Commufornia all I do is slow fire at long range.

I bet you'll find a Radius for sale if you keep checking here on the Hide, because they suck in bright daylight, but are excellent at night. My guess is that guys who bought them for daytime use only will put theirs up for sale...

In the sunshine, my unit won't register on even 3-4 MOA targets >600y, but at night it ranges like a champ. But, you'll need a clip on or PVS-14 too, of course, to see where the IR laser is hitting.

I'm back on the hunt for a radius. If anybody knows where I could get one let me know. Would even consider used if the seller is trustworthy. Even called Silencerco to see if by chance they had any laying around yet.
Brownells

I love my RAPTAR for this role. Not cheap, but I don't have to come off the glass to use it and I can also point to others what I just ranged.

Brownells has radius again for $500

Unbelievable... Just when my used one is being delivered Friday from another hide member...lol...oh, well. Definitely true though, I called and have another one coming from Brownells. Got $20 off sale price too. Thanks for heads up notice on that deersniper.

Reactions: deersniper
I bet you'll find a Radius for sale if you keep checking here on the Hide, because they suck in bright daylight, but are excellent at night. My guess is that guys who bought them for daytime use only will put theirs up for sale...

In the sunshine, my unit won't register on even 3-4 MOA targets >600y, but at night it ranges like a champ. But, you'll need a clip on or PVS-14 too, of course, to see where the IR laser is hitting.
wonder why. mine works like a champ in bright day on not real reflective stuff like telephone poles etc to 800-900yd. i use it alot for ghogs in the summer months and works awesome

I love my RAPTAR for this role. Not cheap, but I don't have to come off the glass to use it and I can also point to others what I just ranged.

Just out of curiosity what the Raptar run ya for cost ?

wonder why. mine works like a champ in bright day on not real reflective stuff like telephone poles etc to 800-900yd. i use it alot for ghogs in the summer months and works awesome

Maybe my unit is defective? I can ping big (read car-sized) objects in bright sun >600y, but not 3-4 MOA steel painted white.... Glad you're able to range the little critters..

I have thermal scope. Can you see to determine distance or do you need night vision ?

Night Assassin
Thanks
So I won’t see laser but it should be zeroed with thermal scope ? Tried looking at videos and haven’t really seen with thermal review

Night Assassin
Thanks
So I won’t see laser but it should be zeroed with thermal scope ? Tried looking at videos and haven’t really seen with thermal review
Yes zero the Radius to the thermal scope. You don’t ever change the recticle/zero once sighted in on the thermal

I have Trijicon ( IR) hunter mark 2- and this is better than upgrading for $1k to get the range finding option on new thermals
biggest problem is knowing distance at night Hog hunting

Night Assassin I don't have the S version, I have the original version without the solver. But I have been looking into sending it in and having mine upgraded. If I wasn't remodeling my house I would most likely have done this already.

Squib- I picked mine up used, still in great condition.

Got a radius and finally got it mounted and out to distance. Good out to 900yds in midday sun. Even farther with more optimal lazing conditions. Lovin' it! Can't figure out why these weren't a hot ticket item. Only complaint would be a more solid mounting system--able to push POA a Minute or two when hit laze button, but it still stays within 2/3 IPSC size at 900. But for the price this thing is still killer. I think if they improved the mounting system, shaved some weight, and extended reliable lazing distance out towards a mile it would be the cats meow.

Last edited:
I have Trijicon ( IR) hunter mark 2- and this is better than upgrading for $1k to get the range finding option on new thermals
biggest problem is knowing distance at night Hog hunting
Are you referring to the static rangefinder? I’m looking for a radius also for my Reap IR

Are you referring to the static rangefinder? I’m looking for a radius also for my Reap IR

yes i am . it is nice that you can upgrade to mark 3 . but I think having a real distance is better .

yes i am . it is nice that you can upgrade to mark 3 . but I think having a real distance is better .
Didn’t know the mark 2 didn’t come with it. It’s definitely not worth 1k. The reap ir comes with it and I’ve still chosen to use a kilo 2400, spotting the flashing IR laser with a pvs14.... still prefer that fumble fest over the static. If the static RF had more adjustments maybe $400-500 but as is.. wouldn’t pay over $150

I really with they had a program that you could design and true your own ballistic reticle