• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night vision choices for precision rigs?

G

Anyone running any NV setups on their precision rigs?

Just looking to get into it, and wondering what the options are, and which direction people are going in that have already done the research. I got to play with an NV setup on an M4 and was thoroughly impressed, but I'm more interested in adding this to my precision rig.

So far I'm interested in the type that are mounted ahead of the scope, but I know there are other choices.

Interested in seeing a pic, hearing why you went in that direction, what the advertised vs. actual capabilities are, and how happy you are with it.

Thank you very much guys, and good shooting to you.

--Fargo007

Re: Night vision choices for precision rigs?

AN/PVS-22 is what I would go with if I could afford it.

Now if I could just find the right grant to pay for it.

What you are going to do with it and how much you have to spend is going to factor into what you need. If you are hunting and just need to determine if it's a coyote or a human you can get away with a lot lower priced setup than if you need to ID a human target.

One of these days I am going to pickup a AN/PVS-4 Starlight Scope for my M16A2 clone. Those things were huge and sucked but they were cool in a retro sort of way.

I hear you Lone Wolf....PM sent with a suggestion.

Fargo our dept. bought a couple of D740 Gen 2 SHPs from Victor at Tactical Night Vision. These are a really good option and won't break the piggy either. I am still saving up for one of those for my own personal use. I like having my own gear.

SSRRA046.jpg

This tree line is 200 yards away on a no moon, starry night...

NVpics006.jpg

This abandoned factory (no lights) is 500 yards away on the same night in the same location....

NVpics004-1.jpg

This is one of my neighbors and his yard is about 120 yards away from my house.

NVpics009.jpg

The images are alot clearer and refined with looking with your eyes, the camera loses some of the resolution.

DSCF1636.jpg
DSCF1635.jpg
this is a few i snapped through a raggedy ass camera but this is a gen2 shp mum that is also from victor at tactical night vision.com. Victor is tha man by the way! these were taken with no moon with only star light on a very clear night. the blurr is the camera,and the barn in the pic is 200yrds.i have the weapon mount and a ir torch also and it works great for the price. I am thinkin about selling this one to go ahead and spend the cash and get the ITT pvs-14 tho.

by the way ghost face that is a bad ass rifle you have there!

We just did a live fire side-by-side the other night between a Gen 3 D-760 and a PVS-22 in front of a Leupold MARK 4 fixed 6 power and across the board everyone said the D-760 was better.

SS, thanks for the kind words...LW, my camera doesn't capature the resolution very well at all. I told Victor I thought he screwed up and sent us Gen III units. It performs that well in all but the darkest nights. When looking through the scope it was alot better. I would recomend the D740/D760 to anyone. I was able to keep my groups right at 1.5 to 2 MOA which I think is pretty good for a Gen II unit and semi...

D-740 Gen3 Pinnacle for me. It is impressive to say the least - I have been very pleased. If there is even a little light (stars, sliver moon) you can identify targets out to 200 yards w/o IR illuminator. If the moon is over half full or more, it is like daytime.

Good to see you on the board Scott.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It performs that well in all but the darkest nights. When looking through the scope it was alot better. I would recomend the D740/D760 to anyone.</div></div>

I've been thinking about getting one too, most bang for the buck I hear. How well does it work on the darkest nights? Thanks for the pics, SS as well.

Also, slick rig!

I bet it works very good with an IR torch on a very dark night. By the way guys Im wanting to get another ir torch that might make it possible to make a 500yrd shot on a starlit night. Anybody know where I can find some choices?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curious_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.swfa.com/pc-15061-1374-atn-ps22-daynight-sight.aspx
How about something like this. I just came across it today. I think its a wanna be PVS-22 style. </div></div>

Friends don't let friends use ATN when their lives depend on it.

Surefire makes IR filters for all of their lights, I've been thinking of getting one for mine, if I were to get an NVD. I'm not sure if a regular flashlight with a filter works just as well as an IR torch, though. If it did it would be great because this light can shine light effectively out to 200-300 yards.

500 yards seems like a stretch for portable lights, I don't really know though, I'm a night vision virgin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie_Foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It performs that well in all but the darkest nights. When looking through the scope it was alot better. I would recomend the D740/D760 to anyone.</div></div>

I've been thinking about getting one too, most bang for the buck I hear. How well does it work on the darkest nights? Thanks for the pics, SS as well.

Also, slick rig! </div></div>

The darkest nights? I'm talking dark now...you will need an IR unit to see a man sized image beyond 100 yards. You wouldn't be able to identify your target past 100 yards with out one...

This is my dad's Rem 700 .308 built by John Noveske topped with ITT Gen 3 Day/Night Scope, & AAC Cyclone.

betterdadsgun.jpg

DSC07149.jpg

DSC07148.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet it works very good with an IR torch on a very dark night. By the way guys Im wanting to get another ir torch that might make it possible to make a 500yrd shot on a starlit night. Anybody know where I can find some choices? </div></div>

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/Night-Vision-Accessories/ELR-VF

ELR IR illuminator. Also known as "Da Torch" on the Tactical NV websight. The mount on it kind of stinks, but it really works well. A buddy and I went out a month or so back hunting at night for pigs and coyotes. I could see coyotes sitting on a tank dam at 400 yards, it was cloudy and there was no moon or stars, just the IR illuminator.

Once I get the AR10 done (if ever) I may try to set it up as a dedicated night gun. I don't really want to swap off my Day Sight on my 700 and I don't think a PVS-22 is going to be in the cards anytime soon.

Those pictures look damn good for Gen II. You have it set up right. I have been to Marion, IN and remember quite a bit of ambient light. Is GM still up and running there. or CCCP or whatever it was called?

Yeah, for right now....They say it's one of the better plants and will survive for a while. It's still does not employ what it used to. I remember when all those parking lots were full, now it just the front one...

I am new to this so here goes....

I am looking into a night scope I kinda like the ATN PS-22 Gen 2+, Problem with this is it says it is good for day scopes from 2.5x to 4x and 6x max. Most of my day scopes are 8x - 32x or 10x - 40x, If anyone has this ATN PS-22 scope let me know if you run it on a higher than 6x and how well it works with it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...questid=160312

Thanks...

I also have the D740 with Gen3 Pinnacle tube, thanks to Victor. Love that thing when the stars are out in the high desert. Great coyote killer.