• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Night Vision Clip-On

nearmarksman

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
I would be appreciative to hear the opinions and experiences of others who have gone before me so-to-speak into the night. : )

The challenges include selecting a night vision devise and mount. In my reading I've seen suggestion that the AI fore-end rail IMUNS from Badger may not in it's stock form adapt well to the Covert's Suppressor.

Cadex also has a fore-end rail for AI

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629469

I had though I would select the ATN PS40-WPT™ to mount before a SB 5-25 PMII I own as the NV devise.

http://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-daynight-atnps40-wpt

This is a Gen 4 product with a gray scale display. It is less expensive then a BNS PV 22. The specs, to me, look better.

Resolution 60-74 lp/mm

Signal to noise, minimum 18-26

The objective will be to place a bullet precisely on target (hog) at 100 to 300 yards with ambient light after sunset. Supplemental illumination with an IR laser is not an unacceptable option.

Thanks for your consideration

Re: Night Vision Clip-On

Well I'm still in the dark so-to-speak : )

But I've discovered a few things. I would be appreciative to hear from those with experience to place them into appropriate context.

Gathering comparable data from ATN information on PS404, PS40P3 and PS40WPT, shows;

All Tubes are MIL-STD-810, This is a 1962 spec, the current generation is MIL-STD-810G. What version of MIL-STD-810 applies to these products?

WPT is a Multi-Alali Tube So this can't be as sensitive as a Gen III with existing technology.

4 & 3 are Gallium Arsenide. Both are Auto Gated.

4 is Filmless

Filmless Tubes have greater light transmission but have been reported to have more limited length of service, maybe too limited.

ATN data reports identical MTTF for both 3P & 4 and both are warranted 2 years. How did they do that? Is there some science here or did someone just calculate that average use per year is probably well below 100 hours so the estimated warranted claims per year relative to Tube Failure could be justified through the the marketing advantage of the better spec. or is there data to support 10,000 hours MTTF in a Filmless tube?

The Sensitivity of the 3P is reported as 2000 - 2800 us/lm but no data is reported for 4. Why is that? Filmless should be expected to have greater sensitivity. Can you tell me how much greater?

Quality of image, Both the 3P and 4 share identical SNF of 25 - 30. They also share identical Resolution of 64 - 72 lap/mm. But, FOM is reported as 2000 for a 4 tube and 1800 for a 3P. Of course these figures are averages and individual tubes vary, but if you accurately report average Resolution and SNF for 3P & 4, FOM which is SNF X Resolution must equal the same as well. Why is FOM different?

Couple of things...There is NO such thing as Gen 4. Lot's of marketing hype and tricks out there especially with what is called Whit Phosphor Technology which does NOTHING to assist you to see better with a NV device. There is a reason green is used on the phosphor screen with ITT and L3 tubes because of the simple fact human eyes are the most sensitive to green colors.

As for the PS series of scopes, there is a 50/50 chance of serious POA/POI with these scopes. Do take a look at the real deal Clip-ons such as the BNS of PVS-24 line. You cannot go wrong here.

Hope this helps and give us a call if we can assist you further. We have helped a great many folks here. :)

Vic

I own an ATN PS40 3P (3rd generation ITT Pinnacle auto-gated) and love it. I've heard the stories that some of these units don't hold their POI. Mine is dead on. I can't tell the difference between my day and night groups. I swap it back and forth from a 22 LR and 7.62x39 AR and every thing holds true. I'm waiting on getting my 5R 308 mil spec back from GA Precision where they are adding a Badger Ordnance embedded front rail. Once I have that set up I'll really be able to measure POI changes based on a "precision" rifle.

On a half moon or better night over relatively open terrain I'm able to clearly see and identify targets at hundreds of yards. Some nights out to a known 500 yard target. On moonless, overcast nights or in cover I recommend a laser illuminator. For around $350.00 a Luna ELIR 3 is fantastic. Even on the darkest night I'm identifying targets out past 300 yards.

On "bright" nights or when using the laser illuminator I've dialed up to as high as nine power on my daytime scope. Once the 5R is back I'll try taking it up to 14x. Most of the time when hunting hogs from a stationary stand I find myself using somewhere between 3-5 power. It's nice to have lower magnification available if you are in tighter quarters. My Leupold Mark 4 1.5-4 on the AR is great for close in work.

ATN scopes are junk. Don't say you weren't warned if you do buy one.

I know ATN doesn't have the greatest reputation. I can speak first hand as to some of their problems... see my earlier post http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...02#Post2764902. But their latest PS40 with the ITT Pinnacle tubes are proving to be different. I know two other guys in Texas running the units on hog hunts and are having the same results. At $4k vs $7k+ for a PVS equivalent the PS40 is worth at least a second look.

I agree that if I were LE/Mil and this were a duty rifle I'd step up to the PVS