• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night Vision Familiarization

christian77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Figured I would make a post with some of the different NODs available. I didn't want to get crazy and post descriptions, manufacturer's info, etc. about each item...this is more or less a post to show you what is out there so you can Google the model from there if interested.

PVS-7
PVS-7%20(1).jpg

BNVD-G
newestbnvdg.jpg

F4949 (ANVIS 9)
f4949angle.jpg

F5050
5050sm.jpg

PVS-15
PVS-15%20(M953)%20(1).jpg

PVS-21
visindbinanpvs21.jpg

PVS-14
AN-PVS14-night-vision-scope.jpg

PVS-22
31698156.png

PVS-24
P4239040.JPG

PVS-26
pvs26.jpg

Re: Night Vision Familiarization

I picked up a Litton M911A some years ago, where does this fit in the scheme of things? There seems to be quite the lack of info about it on the net. It is somewhat similar to a PVS14 in looks.

2dkg236.jpg

Re: Night Vision Familiarization

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a Litton M911A some years ago, where does this fit in the scheme of things? There seems to be quite the lack of info about it on the net. It is somewhat similar to a PVS14 in looks.

2dkg236.jpg
</div></div>

Its a gen2 unit, I think they used mx9916s (pvs-5 tube). There were some very similar units were made in Gen3 as well (M942/M944 and M983). Its a basic good quality ITT viewer made/marketed back in the 90's mainly to police/goverment agencies.
The C mount lens is interchangeable so you can put different ones on it.

So in the grand scheme of things it was basically in the family of Gen2 or Gen3 monocular viewers that existed before the PVS-14 and the like.

You guys just helped me identify a monocular I bought a year and half ago on eBay for $600. It’s a Litton m911a that was sold as as brand h known model: “Night Explorer” gen 2 monocular, I customized the shit out of it in hopes of making it helmet mountable and I did. But at the cost of cosmetics and reliability of the housing. The power knob ended up breaking recently and now I’m just over my home brew monocular idea. I even was able to fashion brand new pvs-14 Carson eyepiece to it for much much better viewing. But in turn it messed with the objective lens depth from the tube. and so at this point I want to find another housing that’s compatible with the m911a tube (whatever tube model it’s called). A helmet mountable housing that will allow some milspec eyepieces. C-mount objective is okay but Milspec is better in my opinion because I can get the best possible 1x view. Buying 10 different c-mount objective lens to try and find the closest best looking 1x lens really was a pain in the ass. My tube in the monocular is really in great condition. Probably pretty rare to find. I currently use my UANVB Echo 4g Katanas with a Jerry-C5 attached as my go to, but I want my wife to have something or whoever I’m with when out shooting who doesn’t own NvG to be able to enjoy the evening with me. Do you have any suggestions for home brew helmet mounted housing ideas for me to put this non-pigtail hardwired Gen 2 m911a Tube into? I would greatly appreciate your feed back. Everything I know about NvG has been from my own studying and researching and trial and error. Skipping the trial and error part this time around would really help my blood pressure levels in the coming months.

Cheers.

Oh and my home brew finished monocular isn’t pictured below. I’ll have to upload that later. These are pics of how I received it.

Attachments

• IMG_8365.jpeg
    IMG_8365.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7028.jpeg
    IMG_7028.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7021.png
    IMG_7021.png
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7035.jpeg
    IMG_7035.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7022.png
    IMG_7022.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7024.png
    IMG_7024.png
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 29
There were a lot of little monoculars like that out in the 90's and early 00s. We had one made for us called the Patriot Pocketscope that was very similar to the Night Explorer just used PVS5 tubes and some PVS5 components. Late 90's and early 00s these sold for around $500. with a 2nd gen US tube.

Reactions: WhereNow&How