• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night vision for less than 50 yards

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
Don't have the need for 400 yard shots on pigs and coyotes, just wanting something decent enough for airgun range, with or without an IR illuminator. I am not against spending more, just wondering if there is something I should be reading about that doesn't have 4 digits before the period.

Re: Night vision for less than 50 yards

im gonna go ahead and say nothing is going to satisfy without four digits in the figure. that said, i feel for your requirements something very easily can be had with a 1 or 2 as the first digit. there is some very good gen2 stuff out there that will give you very good performance for the money. in the end though you will find that you probaly will want better performance and distance etc and should have just saved alittle more and went g3. ya get what ya pay for....

I agree with Killswitch. A cheap 1st or 2nd gen will meet your 50 yard requirement, but you won't be happy with that for long. Trust me I fought my way up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation ladder and wasted a ton of money in the process. Bite the bullet and get at least a high-end 2nd gen. Talk to the guys at TNVC.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I am looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dUxltw7-hF0 </div></div>

A cheap 1st gen with basic IR illuminator will let you see rats in a barn, but I have a feeling you are going to quickly want to do more with it. Very slippery slope. I wasted some good money on low end night vision gear. Ended up with 3rd gen. Should have started there from the beginning.

PVS-14 and a M68. It will have the four digit price tag but also has more flexibility for use.

Have you checked out the zeiss Z51? Couldn't be happier for way under 4 digits. I can clearly see out to 200 yards in pitch black starless night, with stars and some moon you can pick off any part of the body at over 400 yards. It is based off the starlites they used in vietnam, people say they are comparable to gen 2.